The master bedroom is a place for privacy, tranquility and relaxation. For many, the master bedroom is also a place where they may choose to splurge, perhaps on sumptuous bedding or the hand-crafted bed they have always wanted. But the reality is you don’t have to break the bank to create an appealing bedroom.
The bed is the focal point of the bedroom and typically the biggest ticket item. Here are my top five tips for giving it an affordable and aesthetically appealing look.
▪ Use the hutch of a sideboard or a bookcase as the headboard. Perhaps you are looking to create a sleeker look in your dining room and want to remove the upper portion of an oversized hutch. Give it a new purpose by turning it into a functional headboard.
▪ Use a large horizontal stripe across the wall where the bed sits. A 9-inch-wide horizontal stripe in an interesting contrast color can make a colorful and creative headboard, especially for those who desire the look and feel of a low platform bed.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
▪ Use a door panel or old door. Companies that sell kitchen cabinets are a great source for large filler panels or pantry doors. Simply grab one and place it in front of a mattress on a frame.
▪ Use a series of photographs or a large canvas. What better way to create a headboard than to use a great canvas or series of interesting photos?
▪ Pallets are perfect for creating an affordable bed. You can use wood pallets as a headboard or place several of them on the floor to create a base for a platform-style bed. Want to have a little fun with it? Consider painting them.
Cathy Hobbs is an Emmy Award-winning television host and an interior design and home staging expert. Contact her at email@example.com or visit her website at www.cathyhobbs.com.