Plastic Surgery 101

Finding a solution when your earrings no longer fit the holes in your ear

Q. I have a very important wedding and I would like to wear the earrings that my husband just gave me. They are beautiful stud earrings. My problem is when I put them on, they are not very secure because my holes have gotten a little bigger. I have to wear them for this event even though I know I need surgery. What can I do?

A. When you have holes that are larger, you can use a backing that will stabilize the earrings, although that’s often not enough. So here are some options. I will begin with the least invasive procedure and give you options for more invasive procedures.

One of the problems you're having is that you've lost volume in your earlobes. Because there is no tissue to support your earrings, they will rattle around in that hole. One of the procedures I do frequently for patients going to a major event is inject them with a filler. The filler is a hyaluronic acid filler, such as Restylane, Juvéderm and Voluma, because of its more dense nature.

The procedure is quite simple. I use numbing cream so there's no pain. After about 15 minutes the lobule is injected with a reasonable amount of material so you don’t look like you have big ears! After this is done you can wear your earrings immediately.

If a filler does not work — it could be that the hole is too wide — there is a more invasive procedure available. A surgeon can put in a stitch to close the hole. This will get you through the night and you can keep it for a few weeks.

If you want a permanent solution, then you need surgery. Surgery involves cutting the area inside the hole, suturing it with permanent stitches, which are removed in three to seven days. You would have to wait about six weeks to re-pierce your ears for new earrings. Good luck and have a fun evening with your new studs.

Dr. Carlos Wolf is a partner in Miami Plastic Surgery and is board certified. Email questions to