Jock Doc

Soccer injury may need pelvic X-ray or MRI for correct diagnosis

Q. I am a 16-year-old soccer player who hurt my right hip kicking a ball about a month ago. I rested it for two weeks and when I went back to play it happened again even worse. The pain is in the front of my hip and hurts most when I raise it in a kicking motion. Resting did not help and wonder what I should do now?

A. You most likely injured your hip flexor, which allows you to raise your hip. If you have finished growing, it is likely the muscle or tendon where it attaches to your pelvis that is injured. However, in the growing athlete you may have a fracture in your growth plate, which may be weaker than the tendon.

I recommend you see an orthopedic surgeon to be checked. In addition to your physical exam the doctor may order a pelvic X-ray and possibly an MRI scan to accurately diagnosis the injury. Most of these injuries can be treated with a physical therapy program to get better.

Dr. Harlan Selesnick is team physician of the Miami Heat and director of Miami Sports Medicine Fellowship, Doctors Hospital. Send your questions to