There’s a third nationwide recall from the listeria worries that pulled all Aunt Jemima frozen waffles, pancakes and French toast out of the nation’s grocery freezers.
Aunt Jemima owner Pinnacle Foods, which made the initial recall May 6 after finding listeria in its plant, also supplies the waffles for Valley Innovative Services’ heat-treated Traditions’ brand dishes. So, Valley recalled 130,071 pounds of the product, produced and packaged from May 2016 through this month.
On Tuesday, Save-A-Lot Pick 5 Chicken & Waffle Sandwiches got recalled nationwide for the same reason.
As the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service recall notice reminds, listeria “can cause fever, muscle aches, headache, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance and convulsions sometimes preceded by diarrhea or other gastrointestinal symptoms. An invasive infection spreads beyond the gastrointestinal tract.”
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
“In pregnant women, the infection can cause miscarriages, stillbirths, premature delivery or life-threatening infection of the newborn. In addition, serious and sometimes fatal infections in older adults and persons with weakened immune systems.”
Pregnant women, young children, elderly people and those with weakened immune systems who get flu-like symptoms within two months of eating contaminated food should get medical care quickly.
The Valley recall covers:
▪ Traditions Creamy Chicken Patty & Waffle with Four Seasons Vegetables and Cabbage, produced June 6, 2016; July 13, 2016; Aug. 15, 2016; Oct. 12, 2016; Dec. 21, 2016; and April 11. They’re marked with sell-by dates of 6/6/2017; 7/13/2017; 8/15/2017; 10/12/2017; 12/21/2017; and 4/11/2018.
▪ Traditions Creamy Chicken Patty & Waffle with Rib Meat with Cinnamon Flavored Sweet Potatoes and Seasoned Green Beans produced Oct. 12, 2016; Nov. 18, 2016; Dec. 21, 2016; Jan. 26; Jan. 30; and March 1. They’re marked with sell-by dates of 10/12/2017; 11/18/2017; 12/21/2017; 1/26/2018; 1/30/2018; and 3/1/2018.
▪ Traditions Creamy Chicken Patty & Waffle with Cinnamon Flavored Sweet Potatoes and Four Seasons Vegetables produced Dec. 9, 2016; Dec. 21, 2016; Jan. 26; and Jan. 30. They’re marked with sell-by dates of 12/9/2017; 12/21/2017; 1/26/2018; and 1/30/2018.
▪ Traditions Turkey Ham & Waffle Cured Turkey Thigh meat Chunked and Formed with Fruit Cocktail and Hash Browns produced on Dec. 12, 2016; Jan. 21; Jan. 30; March 16; March 21; April 3; April 5; April 18; and April 26. They’re marked with sell-by dates of 12/12/2017; 1/21/2018; 1/30/2018; 3/16/2018; 3/21/2018; 4/3/2018; 4/5/2018; 4/18/2018; and 4/26/2018.
▪ Traditions Oatmeal with Waffle and Sausage Patty produced on Oct. 14, 2016, and marked with a sell-by date of 10/14/2017.
The USDA marked this as a Class 1, High Health Risk recall, which means the USDA believes “there is a reasonable probability that the use of the product will cause serious, adverse health consequences or death.”