My 14-year-old reminds me every day how many more weeks we have until summer, but I’m way ahead of her. Here's how every South Florida mom knows summer is almost here.
- I’ve given up on buying clever school lunch box items.
- I’ve stopped asking, “Is your homework done?”
- The Royal Poinciana trees have turned sunburn red.
- The ocean is finally warm enough to swim in for real South Floridians.
- TV news starts tracking tropical storms.
- The beach towels stay in the trunk, just in case.
- We buy our summer reading list books.
- That familiar swamp gas smell settles into the mangroves. Ain’t it swell?
- The air conditioner in my car kicks into full cool mode as soon as I get to my destination.
- My perfume of choice is eau de Off!
- Sunsets are that much sweeter.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald