I constantly hear Miami is not a place to raise kids and, frankly, I don’t get it.
I am not Pollyanna about our city and its problems, but I can’t imagine bringing up my daughters anywhere else (particularly as I walked around the house this past weekend in my flip-flops and shorts as the snow piled high everywhere else in the country).
In case you have any doubts, here are 15 reasons why you should love raising your kids in Miami.
- You never have to buy a winter coat. Or long johns, mittens or scratchy wool sweaters.
- They learn how to roll their “r’s.”
- You can take a vacation to the beach on any Saturday afternoon.
- Miami Critical Mass.
- Biscayne Bay is their front yard and the Everglades are their backyard.
- We have our own version of royalty (Miami Heat’s Three Kings).
- They don’t think twice about celebrating Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa in the same month.
- They think “one love” applies to everybody.
- Miami-Dade County Public Schools and their magnet programs.
- They know there are really five seasons: winter, spring, summer, fall and lobster season.
- Knaus Berry Farm strawberry milkshakes and cinnamon rolls on winter mornings.
- They know how to order Cuban coffee.
- They can tell school is almost out for the summer when the Poinciana trees fire up.
- They can play outside year-round.
- Things keep getting better.
What would you add?