Expect traffic in the University of Miami and Brickell area to be even worse than usual Thursday.
Delays are expected near UM's BankUnited Center for President Barack Obama's campaign rally. Drivers should expect delays on Ponce de Leon Boulevard, U.S. 1 and the streets near the center beginning at 11:30 a.m.
Later Thursday, Obama will be attending an event at the J.W. Marriott Marquis Hotel, 225 Biscayne Blvd., according to Miami police. He’s expected to be there about 5 p.m.
Anyone in the area at the time can expect lots of law enforcement, detours and street closures. Here is a breakdown of some of the expected street closures. But be aware that these can change.
• At 4 p.m., all northbound traffic on Brickell Avenue will be closed at Southeast Seventh Street. Traffic will be diverted westbound onto Southeast Seventh Street.
• Because of construction, you’re best bet for going west will be either Southeast Seventh Street or going south on Brickell Avenue, then west on Southeast 13th Street.
• From 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., all streets south of Southeast First Street to the Miami River and from Southeast Second Avenue to Biscayne Boulevard will be shut down to cars, bicyclists and pedestrians.
• From 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., no traffic will be allowed onto Southeast Second Avenue to get onto Interstate 95.
• From 5:30 p.m. to approximately 6:40 p.m., traffic will be allowed to go south on Southeast Second Avenue.
• From 6:45 p.m. until 7:30 p.m., the area of Southeast First Street to the Miami River and from Southeast Second Avenue to Biscayne Boulevard will be completely shut down, again.
• After 7:30 p.m., traffic will return to normal.
Miami-Dade Transit also will be affected, with services delays for Metrorail, Metromover and buses in the Brickell and downtown areas.
During the President’s visit, Metrorail and Metromover will need to stop service momentarily, and some buses will have to be detoured in the Brickell and downtown Miami areas. Miami-Dade Transit is asking passengers to plan accordingly since Metrorail and Metromover will cease operations temporarily, and a few Metrobus routes also will be impacted due to road closures. Metrorail will stop service for approximately 25 to 30 minutes between 2:30 and 3:00 p.m., 5 and 5:30 p.m.and 7:30 and 8 p.m.
Metromover will stop service for approximately 25 to 30 minutes between approximately 5 to 5:30 p.m.,7:30 to p.m.
The following routes will be detoured or delayed from approximately 3 to 8:00 p.m.:
Route 24: This route will be using the South Miami bridge because the Brickell bridge will be closed.
Route (Brickell) 95 Express: The afternoon Brickell runs will be detoured using the South Miami bridge due to the Brickell bridge being closed.
Route 56: This route will be delayed temporarily during road closures in the Coral Gables area.
In addition, all routes that provide service in the downtown Miami area may experience delays between approximately 3 and 8 p.m. due to road closures.