Latest News

Cigarette spark may have caused warehouse fire in Hialeah

Hialeah Fire Rescue suspect the act of lighting a lit cigarette may have sparked an early Thursday morning warehouse fire.

Hialeah Fire Rescue spokesperson Lt. Cesar Espinosa said a 46-year old man was the only person inside the warehouse unit in the 36 hundred block of East 10th Court. The man was reportedly working overnight building cabinetry when, according to Espinosa he went to light a cigarette just before 5 a.m. and there was an explosion.

Hialeah firefighters found canisters of propane gas were in the warehouse and the spark may have set off a gas leak. Espinosa said firefighters were not able to go into the warehouse to fight the flames because the intensity of the fire had compromised the front wall.

The man was taken to the Ryder Trauma center with burns over 16 percent of his body including his face, arms and hands.

By dawn a strong smell of gas hung in the area and fire crews kept workers out the area until it had dissipated.

Related stories from Miami Herald

  Comments