Latest News

Homeowner tries to smoke out bees, sets house on fire

A man attempting to smoke a bee colony out of his suburban Lake Worth home Tuesday, instead started a fire that caused about $50,000 in damage, injured no one and failed to evict the bees, according to Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue.

The fire started before noon at the 2,800-square-foot home at 6500 Sugarcane Lane in the gated equestrian neighborhood of Homeland, fire-rescue spokesman Capt. Don DeLucia said.

The home's owner, Mario Go, was attempting to smoke out a colony of bees that had moved into a column supporting a second-story balcony or patio, but instead the effort started a fire, DeLucia said.

No one was reported injured by fire or bees, DeLucia said.

Property records indicate that Mario and Lutgarda Go bought the property in 1993, and the home was completed in 1997.

No one returned a call made to the couple's home Tuesday afternoon seeking comment.

  Comments