Latest News

Jan 17, 2008 | Stormy past of murder suspect

The East Coast drifter accused of killing an aspiring attorney had a turbulent past with another woman, courts records show.

The woman: an ex-girlfriend and the mother of his child.

One day after Miami-Dade and New York police arrested Kendrick Williams on charges of the second-degree murder of Stepha Henry, he appeared Wednesday before a judge in a Manhattan Criminal Court -- a necessary move before police try to extradite him to Miami-Dade County.

Williams, 32, has a hearing scheduled on Feb. 15, The New York Post reported Wednesday.

Police charged Williams, a Virgin Islands native, with second-degree murder in the case of Henry, a Trinidad native who went missing during Memorial Day weekend after she went to a Sunrise nightclub. He also faces a count of evidence tampering.

Henry's disappearance generated national attention from family and friends who were adamant that the recent honors graduate wasn't a runaway but a victim. PROBE LAUNCHED

Miami-Dade investigators kept an eye on Williams for months as they gathered evidence. But it wasn't until September, the same month Henry would have turned 23, that police got an important lead: an Acura Integra found in South Florida.

Forensic tests revealed a large amount of Henry's blood in the car. The volume pointed to a homicide, police said.

Police say the two had chatted at a barbecue on May 28. At 1 a.m. on May 29, Williams picked up Henry in an Integra to go to the Sunrise club, Peppers Café.

Investigators said Williams bought the car in New York and drove it to Florida.

Before Henry's disappearance, police say Williams, a one-time Hallandale Beach resident, had problems with an ex-girlfriend, Kamesha Roye. The two have a son and once lived together in New York, records show.

According to an affidavit filed in the Broward courthouse, Roye told police in May 2005 that Williams had called her at her Miramar home at least 70 times. She changed her home phone number twice and told Williams not to visit.

On May 11, 2005, he did.

Police say Williams tore open the back patio door screen to Roye's home. He then pried open a sliding glass door, setting off a silent panic alarm. Williams entered Roye's bedroom. She told him to leave. He refused.

The two argued until police showed up. When they did, Williams fled through the back door. Police told him to stop, but he kept running.

Roye was in fear of her ex-boyfriend and wanted to prosecute, according to the affidavit.

Roye filed a request for a restraining order a month later, but the complaint was dismissed, records show.

Police wouldn't find Williams until a year later -- in Brooklyn. New York police arrested Williams on a burglary charge and later extradited him to Broward County.

The initial charge was later changed to trespassing. Williams was never convicted, but he was required to pay at least $26 in court fees, records show.

One relative of Henry said he had never heard of Williams before the Tuesday arrest.

"I don't know him, " said cousin Ano Clarke, 25, who lives in Northeast Miami-Dade. "I never heard of him until this incident." 'HOMELESS' NICKNAME

But others knew Williams. His nickname among Brooklyn auto shops dealers: "Homeless."

"He had no home. He was all over the place, " said Sol Antone, owner of the Clifton Auto Body shop in East Flatbush, a Brooklyn neighborhood where many Caribbean immigrants live.

Police picked up Williams while he was asleep in his car at a pier in Brooklyn.

Williams was known for other reasons, said Antone.

Over the summer, he acquired a reputation for wanting to get rid of his dark Acura.

"The rumor going around is that he wanted to sell the car, " Antone said. "He wanted to sell it in a hurry. People have an idea when you want to get rid of something. Nobody wanted to buy it."

Police later found the car in South Florida.