Latest News

May 20, 2008 | Murder suspect moved to Dade

The man accused of killing Stepha Henry is in a Miami-Dade jail, following his long-anticipated extradition from New York.

Kendrick Williams, 33, was arrested in January in New York and charged with second-degree murder in the slaying of Henry, a 22-year-old college graduate who disappeared nearly a year ago while visiting relatives in South Florida.

Though Henry's body has never been found, police have said they have enough evidence tying Williams to the crime.

Williams was one of the last people Henry was seen alive with on May 29. A few months later, police found her blood inside his black Acura Integra.

Still, Steve and Sylvia Henry continue to hope that their daughter will be found alive.

"We don't want to think that the worst happened to her, " Steve Henry said Monday.

The couple plan on traveling to Miami for Williams' trial. His first court appearance is scheduled for June 6.

Williams was extradited from New York on Friday. It's unclear why his extradition took so long, but Williams had fought it following his arrest.

It has been almost a year to the day since Henry and her younger sister, Shola, traveled to South Florida to celebrate Shola's 16th birthday with relatives.

They spent the long weekend shopping, pampering themselves and attending a reggae concert at Bayfront Park in Miami. At a barbecue in Miami Gardens, Henry met Williams.


At 1 a.m. May 29 -- the day Henry was supposed to return home to Brooklyn, N.Y. -- Williams picked up Henry at her aunt's apartment in North Miami-Dade.

The two went to Pepper's Cafe in Sunrise, where Henry was seen on videotape by a promotional crew filming in the nightclub.

Henry, a graduate of John Jay College of Criminal Justice in Manhattan, was never seen again. SEVERAL LEADS

Police from Miami-Dade and Sunrise immediately got on the case and followed several leads.

They interviewed Williams, who told them he left the club without Henry.

As the investigation continued, Henry's family made it their mission to find Stepha.

Her mother moved to South Florida and worked round-the-clock, making pleas on TV and radio, hosting prayer vigils and distributing fliers on street corners.


Steve Henry said he is relieved that Williams is behind bars, but he still wants to know what happened to his daughter.

"I'm frustrated, " he said. "It's been almost a year and nothing has come out of this. I just really want this to be over with."