These sketches of Yahweh members charged in the federal indictment unsealed Tuesday are compiled from court records, federal sources and interviews with cult members.
* Hulon Mitchell Jr., 55, sect name Yahweh Ben Yahweh. Mitchell, the leader of Yahweh, once played pro football for the St. Louis Cardinals and Oakland Raiders. Says he knew at the age of 3 that he was chosen to save the world. Other names: Moses Israel, Hulon Shah and Father Michel.
Linked to the murders of Aston Green, Carlton Carey, Leonard Dupree, Glendell Fowler, Kurt Doerr, Clair Walters, James Lee Myers, Lyle Austin Bellinger, Raymond Kelly, Cecil Branch, Harry Byers, Reinaldo Echevarria, Anthony Brown, Rudolph Broussard. Linked to the attempted murders of Eric Burke, Mildred Banks.
* Linda Gaines, 43, sect name Judith Israel. As treasurer of the Temple of Love, Gaines presided over the group's nonspiritual affairs: finances and a group publishing house. According to defectors, children were forced to work the presses.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
Gaines testified she met Yahweh in Orlando in the '70s, and has been his companion since. Her three children were temple members; one defected.
Linked to the murders of Anthony Brown, Rudolph Broussard.
* Ricardo Woodside, 29, sect name Zerubbabel Israel. Woodside, a respiratory technician, left the cult in '85. In 1987, he pleaded no contest to passing worthless checks. The fine: $25.
Linked to the decapitation of Aston Green and the attempted murder of Eric Burke.
* Maurice Woodside, 31, sect name Mikael Israel; aka John Frederick Nunnally, brother of Ricardo. Their mother, Johnnie Simmons, was a loyal Yahweh member until she died a few years ago, allegedly of medical neglect. Maurice has a long rap sheet: breaking and entering, petit theft, trespassing.
Linked to the murder of Leonard Dupree and the attempted murder of Eric Burke.
* Walter Lightburn, 48, sect name Amri Israel, aka Walter Lightborne.
Linked to the murders of Carlton Carey, Anthony Brown, Rudolph Broussard and the machete stabbing of Mildred Banks.
* Robert Louis Beasley Jr., 40, sect name Dan Israel. Once arrested on charge of "rioting." Case dismissed for lack of prosecution.
Linked to the murder of Carlton Carey and the attempted murder of Mildred Banks.
* Richard Ingraham, 48, sect name Job Israel.
Linked to the murder of Leonard Dupree.
* Ernest Lee James Jr., 39, sect name Ahinidad Israel.
Linked to the murders of Leonard Dupree, Cecil Branch.
* James Louis Mack, 44, sect name Jesse Obed Israel. Described by federal sources as leader of Yahweh security force.
Linked to the murder of Cecil Branch.
* Anthony Murphy, 34, sect name Jose Isaac Israel, also known as Joseph Murphy. Arrested for a couple of minor crimes, but no jail time.
Linked to the murder of Harry Byers.
* Brian K. Lewis, 27, sect name Hezion Israel. Once fined for carrying a concealed firearm.
Linked to the murder of Reinaldo Echevarria.
* Michael Mathis, 24, sect name Aushalom Israel. Arrested once for grand theft, never prosecuted.
* James M. Littlejohn, 38, sect name Isaiah Solomon Israel, former Western Electric worker.
Linked to the murder of James Lee Myers.
* Carl Douglas Perry, 33, sect name Aher Israel. One of the "top five" Yahwehs, according to federal sources. Has lots of aliases and an outstanding 1987 warrant for breaking and entering. His brother, Alfred Perry, was sentenced to 15 years in prison for stabbing two construction workers.
Linked to the murders of Lyle Austin Bellinger, Raymond Kelly, Anthony Brown, Rudolph Broussard.
* Rufus Pace, 39, sect name Ahaz Israel. Worked in "food distribution" for the Yahweh network.
Linked to the murder of Carlton Carey. Linked to the attempted murder of Mildred Banks.
* Ardmore Canton III, 28, sect name Absalom Israel.
Linked to the murder of Clair Walters.
* Dexter Leon Grant, 25, sect name Abiri Israel.
Linked to the murder of Cecil Branch.
Compiled by Herald Staff Writer Christine Evans.