Latest News

Timeline of boot camp incident

JAN. 5

6:30-7 a.m.: Intake at the boot camp. Martin is admitted.

9:06 a.m.: Use of force begins.

9:45 a.m.: Paramedics arrive to take Martin to Bay Medical.

1 p.m.: Martin is airlifted on AirHeart helicopter from Bay Medical. Paramedics write, based on information they were given: "Patient was at juvenile boot camp - running a 1.5 mile run. Stopped midway through." Sheriff's office later posts press release on website saying Martin was hospitalized after "becoming ill."

JAN. 6

1:30 a.m.: Martin dies at Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola. Sheriff's office posts second press release saying he passed away after he "became ill."

FEB. 9

The Miami Herald publishes story quoting two state representatives, Republican Gus Barreiro and Democrat Dan Gelber, both of Miami Beach, who say a video of the incident shows that Martin was "brutally" beaten by guards and "flung around like a rag doll."

Later, Florida Department of Law Enforcement Commissioner Guy Tunnell, whose department was investigating Martin's death, forwards to Bay Sheriff Frank McKeithen an e-mail from his agency's spokesman saying the FDLE would refuse a Miami Herald request to view the video. Tunnell added only "FYI!" to the e-mail.

FEB 13

The Miami Herald and CNN sue the FDLE, seeking public release of the videotape.

FEB. 16

Bay County's chief medical examiner rules that Martin died of "natural causes." Dr. Charles Siebert says rigorous exercise exacerbated a genetic disorder, sickle cell trait, leading to cascade of reactions that caused him to bleed to death. Experts tell The Miami Herald the diagnosis is extremely improbable. The same day, North Florida's chief federal prosecutor announces a separate federal investigation.

FEB. 17

The FDLE releases videotape. Local and network TV air the grainy video throughout the day. It shows Martin being punched, kneed and repeatedly manhandled by at least seven guards while a lab-coat-clad nurse looks on.

FEB. 21:

McKeithen announces he will close his troubled boot camp, saying it has been "virtually paralyzed" by the uproar over Martin's death. Gov. Jeb Bush announces he has appointed Hillsborough County State Attorney Mark Ober as special prosecutor for the case.


Martin's body is exhumed in Panama City so a Tampa pathologist can conduct a second autopsy.


Spokeswoman for special prosecutor confirms that the second autopsy will show that Martin "did not die of sickle cell trait, nor did he die of natural causes."


A Miami Herald story shows that Tunnell - a former Bay County sheriff and boot camp founder - sent several friendly e-mails to McKeithen while his agency was investigating McKeithen's boot camp. Tunnell is removed from the case less than a week later.


Thirty students from Tallahassee colleges and universities begin a sit-in at the governor's office, protesting what they call "a systematic cover-up" in the investigation.


Tunnell resigns after The Miami Herald tells state officials it plans to report that he made off-color remarks comparing black leaders who were scheduled to attend a Capitol rally to Osama bin Laden and Jesse James. The rally was scheduled to put pressure on officials to resolve the Anderson case quickly.


In passing the Martin Lee Anderson Act, lawmakers agree to eliminate aggressive, military-style tactics at the state's four remaining boot camps and convert them into more therapeutic programs that emphasize education and aftercare.


Tampa's chief medical examiner, Dr. Vernard Adams, releases results of his autopsy, saying that Martin was suffocated by guards, who covered his mouth and forced ammonia tablets up his nose.