Latest News

June 6, 2005 | Former UM star Taylor is facing assault charges

Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor was released on bond from Miami-Dade County Jail late Saturday, 30 minutes after turning himself in for allegedly brandishing a gun and throwing a punch during a dispute over allegedly stolen property last week.

Taylor, a former University of Miami star, is charged with aggravated assault with a firearm and simple battery following an incident Wednesday night in Southwest Miami-Dade. He was released on a $16,500 bond. A court hearing is tentatively set for June 24.

Taylor's mother, Donna Junor, and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, both declined to comment on Sunday. Taylor's father, Pedro W. Taylor, Florida City's police chief, could not be reached at work.


Police had been looking for Taylor since Wednesday. Accompanied by his lawyer, Fred Moldovan, he turned himself in to police at the Cutler Ridge district station late Saturday and was taken toTurner Guilford Knight correctional facility.

Taylor's problems began Wednesday night.

According to police, Taylor, 22, and a friend, Charles Caughman, 19, drove to Southwest 103rd Avenue and 176th Street, where they confronted two men they claimed had reportedly stolen a pair of all-terrain vehicles belonging to Taylor.

Demanding the return of property, Taylor allegedly pulled a gun from his 2005 GMC Yukon and pointed it at the men.

He did not fire the gun, according to a police report.

The two men soon left the scene, but returned 10 minutes later when Taylor allegedly got out of his SUV and punched one of the men in the face.

Caughman allegedly chased one of the victims with a baseball bat. He was arrested Wednesday and charged with aggravated assault.

Taylor, who left UM for the National Football League after his junior year, signed a seven-year, $18 million contract with the Redskins in 2004.

He has been in Miami, where his family lives, while renegotiating his contract with the club.


Taylor - who was the fifth overall NFL draft pick in 2004 and is entering his second season in the pros - has skipped the team's recent voluntary workouts, despite repeated requests from Redskins coach Joe Gibbs that he attend.

Taylor has had other scrapes with the law and the league.

In October, he was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated. Though acquitted, the incident resulted in a one-game suspension by the team.

He also faced a $25,000 fine by the league after leaving its required rookie symposium without permission.