Pop culture is rife with losers we love. Here's a rundown from TV and film:
- Sonny Koufax (Adam Sandler), "Big Daddy" (1999)
Why he's a loser: He's lazy, unemployed and eats pizza all day.
But then again ... He adopts a kid.
- Jeffrey Lebowski, the Dude (Jeff Bridges), "The Big Lebowski" (1998)
Why he's a loser: He's always stoned and slovenly.
But then again ... His mild manner is welcome in a cast of mobsters and druggies.
- Homer Simpson, "The Simpsons" (1989-present)
Why he's a loser: He drinks too much, works too little and is always getting into mischief.
But then again ... He's devoted to Marge and the kids and holds down a steady job.
- Randolph Dupree (Owen Wilson), "You, Me and Dupree" (2006)
Why he's a loser: Best man moves in with newlyweds, sleeps naked on their leather couch and almost burns the house down.
But then again ... He's a charmer with those baby blues. Plus, the kids seem to like him.
- Jeremey Kraft (Jason Schwartzman), "Shopgirl" (2005)
Why he's a loser: He's jobless, clueless about women, and takes off on a road trip as a rock band's groupie.
But then again ... On the road trip, he listens to self-help tapes on relating to women.
- Dewey Finn (Jack Black), "School of Rock" (2003)
Why he's a loser: He's a slob and assumes his roommate's identity to get a job.
But then again ... He's passionate about music and teaching it to kids.
- George Costanza (Jason Alexander), "Seinfeld" (1990-1998)
Why he's a loser: He's cheap, selfish, a killjoy and lives with his parents.
But then again ... He's loyal to his friends (most of the time).
- Andy Stitzer (Steve Carell), "40-Year-Old Virgin" (2005)
Why he's a loser: He's 40 and a virgin.
But then again ... He's sincere, good with kids and looking for a commitment.
- Lloyd Dobler (John Cusack), "Say Anything" (1989)
Why he's a loser: All he thinks about is kickboxing.
But then again ... He holds a boombox blasting Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" above his head to serenade a girl.
- John Winger (Bill Murray), "Stripes" (1981)
Why he's a loser: After his girlfriend leaves him, he's unemployed and joins the Army because of an ad on TV.
But then again ... He defeats the communists.