Celebrated pastry chef Hedy Goldsmith, who returned to Miami this summer after working in Los Angeles for several years, has collaborated with veteran South Florida chef Jamie DeRosa on a brand-new menu revamp at Spring Chicken in Coral Gables (1514 South Dixie Highway).
Goldsmith and DeRosa will unveil their new all-day and brunch menus on October 7, and INDULGE got a sneak peek, including an exclusive recipe for the Challah French Toast at Spring Chicken, which is part of John Kunkel’s 50 Eggs Inc.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
New to the menu:
● Cornmeal-Crusted Catfish Po’ Boy with house-made tartar sauce, Bibb lettuce and pickled cherry peppers.
● Southern Waldorf Chicken Salad Sandwich with grapes, green apple, Duke’s mayo and Creole mustard.
● Local Florida Tomato Salad with crispy pork cracklings, fresh basil, heirloom tomatoes and soft mozzarella cheese
● Tennessee Spiced Edamame Dip with hot cherry peppers and organic blue chips.
● PBJ & Banana Toast with salted peanut butter spread, banana, strawberry and mint.
Goldsmith and DeRosa have incorporated products from several local companies into their menu, including bread from Zak the Baker, pies from Fireman Derek’s Bake Shop, cold brew from Panther Coffee, and cupcakes from Buttercream Cupcakes & Coffee.
Recipe for Spring Chicken’s Challah French Toast
By executive pastry chef Hedy Goldsmith and culinary director Jamie DeRosa
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
4 tablespoons butter
2 slices of challah bread or brioche Pullman loaf
6 Florida strawberries, halved
5 mint leaves
1. In a small bowl, whisk to combine the egg, milk, zest, sugar, vanilla extract and nutmeg. Set aside.
2. Heat a 10- or 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Melt butter in the skillet.
3. Soak the bread for about 5 seconds and transfer the slices to the skillet.
4. Cook the bread on one side until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook other side. Remove from skillet and transfer to a plate.
5. To finish: garnish with strawberries or other seasonal fruit, and top with powdered sugar, mint and maple syrup to taste.
More recipes from INDULGE: Sugar Snap Pea Salad from Macchialina Italian restaurant in South Beach.