An upcoming poker series at Magic City Casino has two rewards for players. Naturally, players can win money during the three-event series, but they also can be entered to play poker in Aruba this November.
The PPC Tour is a series of 26 stops, sprinkled across the United States, climaxing with a stop in Aruba.
“This is the first time we’ve had an event in Miami-Dade County and we’re very excited to bring the tour there,” PPC commissioner Bryan Oulton said. “With Magic City our closest venue geographically to Aruba, we think it’s a great fit.”
The PPC began with one event in 2012, then has grown to nine, then 16, then 23 stops in 2015. The PPC held a series at the Naples/Fort Myers Greyhound Track and Poker in July and drew more than 300 entrants for the main event. Magic City Casino is a sister property.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
The Magic City series begins Aug. 23 with a $130 tournament at 6 p.m. A $180 buy-in bounty tournament is at 6 p.m. Aug. 24. For the main event, which carries a $30,000 guarantee, players can enter at noon or 6 p.m. Aug. 25 or Aug. 27. The tournament concludes on Aug. 28.
Oulton refers to the PPC’s Aruba championship as a “poker-cation.” Twenty percent of the PPC Magic City Miami Series event prize pools will go toward entries into the 2016 PPC Aruba World Championship. The championship, which runs Nov. 2-8 at the Hilton Aruba Resort, features a $2,400 buy-in, $500,000 guarantee main event.
▪ There’s still time to enter Hialeah Park’s big poker event of the month. All this week, players could enter at either 11 a.m. or 7 p.m. for $150. Then those surviving meet at noon on Sunday to finish the tournament. The casino guarantees $100,000 in prize money. The event is part of the third anniversary of the casino this weekend, featuring Willy Chirino and Johnny Ventura at 9 p.m. Saturday.
▪ Miccosukee Resort & Gaming has five free roll poker tournaments each week. Texas Hold ’em is at 2 p.m. Sunday and 7 p.m. Thursday. A bounty tournament is at 7 p.m. Tuesday. Crazy Pineapple is at 7 p.m. Tuesday and 2 p.m. Saturday.
▪ The Seminole Hard Rock Poker Open is over, but there is still action at the poker room, with two deep-stack specials. At 3 p.m. Friday is a $25,000 guarantee for a $350 buy-in. Ten Seminole Immokalee Poker Challenge Main Event (Package) Satellite seats will be added to the final table of 10 players. On Saturday, Aug. 20, there is a $15,000 guarantee for $150 at 11 a.m. (20,000 units starting stack). And at 6 p.m. is a Deep Stack Survivor for $130. One in 10 players win $1,000.
▪ Where is Immokalee? Well, it’s about 30 minutes from Naples. It matters now in poker because the WPT DeepStacks six-tournament series comes to the Seminole Casino Hotel Immokalee with a $1,100 main event players can enter Sept. 9 or 10. Big Brother Seminole Hard Rock helps out with the $200,000 Seminole Immokalee Poker Challenge Main Event (Package) Satellite at 6 p.m. Aug. 28. Buy-in is $225 and six packages are guaranteed. The Hard Rock adds seats into the Aug. 28 satellite in tournaments leading up to that event.
▪ Big food weekend at Magic City Casino. Croquetapalooza runs from 7-10 p.m. Friday. Twenty restaurants compete for the title of “Best Croqueta” and “Best Frita.” Tickets are $35. Go to croquetapalooza.com. Then Saturday, the Wheelin’ Dealin’ Food Festival makes its usual third Saturday of the month appearance.
▪ Like other racetrack casinos, the Casino @ Dania Beach has only electronic blackjack, but they’re making the most of it. Friday nights are “Blackjack Blitz.” From 8-11 p.m., any player who gets a blackjack on one of the virtual machines is placed into an 11 p.m. drawing. Those selected at that time play one hand of virtual blackjack for $200 (provided by the casino).
▪ Seminole Casino Coconut Creek has an Asura Wine & Gurkha Cigar Dinner Sunday. Cocktails start at 6:30 p.m. in Legends Lounge with a 7 p.m. dinner in NYY Steak. The night features a five-course dinner paired with a selection of Asura wines. After dinner, guests can sample select Gurkha cigars in the NYY Steak Dugout. Tickets are $199 per person, plus tax and gratuity. Call 954-585-5379 or a Casino Host at 954-283-2726.
▪ A $100,000 free play giveaway is from 3-7:30 p.m. Sunday, at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino. Five players will be selected every 30 minutes to win $2,000 Free Play. Guests may earn entries from 7 a.m. to 7:15 p.m.
▪ It’s 2fer Thursdays this month at Mardi Gras Casino. From 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., players earn double points on slots and double entries into Record Breaker, which runs 5-9 p.m. hourly. Five players will be called for a chance play a game board and win up to $2,500 cash each hour.
Get daily gambling news at SouthFloridaGambling.com