Jeff Conine hasn’t played a major league baseball game since 2007, but the player known as “Mr. Marlin” is still a South Florida presence, as a broadcaster and Marlins special assistant.
He also helped create the Conine Clubhouse, a home-away-from-home where families of children under care at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital in Hollywood can stay for free.
A poker tournament that raises money for the clubhouse is set for 7 p.m. July 11 at the Isle Casino and Racing in Pompano Beach. It’s the fifth annual tournament, and awards $10,000 to the winner and trips, jewelry and other prizes to other top finishers.
“Cindy and I stayed at the clubhouse when our son was younger and know firsthand the importance of being close to the hospital,” Conine said. “It provides all the amenities of a three-star hotel but, more importantly, gives families a temporary place to call home when they need it most.”
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The evening begins with a welcome reception at 5:30 p.m. at Farraddays Steak House that includes the celebrities, an open bar, hors d’oeuvres, live music and more. There will also be a silent auction.
Entry is $300. Those who want just the buffet but no poker can attend for $75. Go to ConinePokerClassic.org or contact Craig Cohen at CrCohen@MHS.net or 954-265-7241.
Tips on a shirt
A Hialeah company has created an alternative to carrying palm cards that inform players what play to make when at the casinos.
Gear4Gambling.com has information on optimum casino play on its T-shirts and sweatshirts. Games are baccarat, blackjack, Pai Gow poker, craps, roulette, Casino Hold ’em Poker and Caribbean poker.
T-shirt costs start at $21, sweatshirts at $35 with free shipping. Go to gear4gambling.com.
▪ Hialeah Park’s big Mercedes Benz giveaway is at 1 a.m. Sunday (most of us call that late Saturday night). The promotion, which began around Memorial Day, grants patrons an entry into the car drawing if they earn at least 100 slot points. The regular Saturday prizes also are up for grabs: $1,000 in free play hourly from 2 to 4 p.m., $2,000 cash at 5 p.m., and $1,000 in free play hourly from 9 to 11 p.m., and $2,000 cash at midnight.
▪ Casino Miami gives away a Jeep Patriot at midnight Sunday and 11 p.m. Monday. The Independence Day weekend promotion begins with hourly free play drawings from 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. Friday and Saturday, with $1,000 cash prizes at 10 p.m. and 2 a.m.
▪ Mardi Gras Casino hosts its fifth annual hot dog eating contest at noon Saturday to begin its July 4 celebration. Contestants will be munching for three minutes for a top prize of $1,000. Entry is $10. The casino also has a barbecue from noon to 6 p.m., live entertainment from the Orange Sunshine Band from 4-8 p.m., a national anthem singing contest at 8 p.m. with a $1,000 first prize and fireworks at 9 p.m.
▪ Seminole Classic Casino will host a Red, White and Blue Fusion Giveaway Saturday to Monday, from 6 to 10 p.m. On each drawing date three patrons will be electronically selected every 30 minutes from 6 to 9:30 p.m. with two receiving $500 free play and one advancing to the grand prize Ford Fusion drawing. At 10 p.m. one qualifier will win a 2016 Ford Fusion and the six others will receive $1,000 free play.
▪ The Casino @ Dania Beach uses July 4 to kick off a free play promotion: From noon to 4 p.m. hourly on Mondays and 3-7 p.m. on Thursdays, the casino will give away free slot play to patrons in a designated area.
▪ Seminole Casino Coconut Creek has a 22-minute fireworks show by Grucci of New York at 9 p.m. Sunday. Rain date is Monday.
▪ It’s Freedom Fest this weekend at Gulfstream Park Racing and Casino. The horse track has the Summit of Speed, nine races with more than $1.2 million in purses, starting at 1:15 p.m. Saturday, and those who purchase a seat in the grandstand, Silks or Ten Palms receive a beach tote bag. Ten Palms has a Sunday brunch ($44.99) from noon to 4 p.m., followed by a barbecue ($24.99) from 6 to 9 p.m., with food trucks, a DJ and giveaways on the grounds, leading up to the 9:30 p.m. fireworks. Racing resumes Monday, with $2 hot dogs, burgers, beer and wine at the outdoor Corona Beach House from 1-4 p.m.
▪ The Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino is giving away $250,000 over the weekend. Three patrons every 15 minutes from 3-8 p.m. will win $500 in free play. Bonus free-play drawings are hourly from 4-8 p.m., starting at $2,500 and climaxing with $20,000. The fireworks celebration by Grucci is at 9 p.m. Monday, with food trucks on the property starting at 7 p.m.