Miami’s three biggest teams had the biggest national stages in the past week, from the champion Heat’s banner-raising opening night Tuesday against Derrick Rose’s Chicago Bulls to the Dolphins in prime-time on a Halloween Thursday to the University of Miami at Florida State in a top-10 duel Saturday night.
Can’t remember a stretched-out tripleheader so compelling for so many reasons.
Any NFL team going from 3-0 to a four-game tailspin would be drama enough, but that was just the start of it here.
(Dear Dolphins: You’re 4-4. Leave your teammates alone and try to do a better job of bullying your opponents.)
Reports of dissention in the locker room and even on the coaching staff arose.
Then, in an exquisite stroke of what-else-can-go-wrong, the Dolphins cheerleaders’ website was hacked by a porn site.
That, or the Dolphins cheerleaders’ website has pushed the boundaries on “premium content.”
• FAU football coachCarl Pelini
and defensive coordinator
abruptly resigned in shame this week after it was found they’d been smoking pot. Pelini’s staff had produced only a 2-6 record this season but led Conference USA in the munchies.
• The 100-day countdown to the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, is under way. Russia’s government is outrageously homophobic and the forecast is for a lack of snow. Otherwise, sounds like fun!
• I must admit this fromCharles Barkley
made me chuckle: “LeBron’s headband is so big,Spud Webb
could use it as a shower curtain.”
has a new designer line of 13 styles of “casual and gentlemen’s” socks. Dear Dwyane: Heat fans like you best in the socks that make your knees feel like you were 25 again.
• Former NBA playerBryon Russell
, 42, saidMichael Jordan
, 50, “chickened out” of a one-on-one challenge. Enough, already! MJ has enough problems trying to eke 20 wins out of the Charlotte Bobcats.
is the first WTA player sinceMartina Hingis
in 1997 to win 11 tournaments in a season, prevailing last week despite fatigue. Said Serena: “I literally felt like I just hit a wall.” Said Greg Cote: “I literally am annoyed when people misuse the word ‘literally.’”
father is pitching an animated TV series calledThe Gronks
. And we wonder why the rest of the world hates America.
Jets playRob Ryan’s
Saints on Sunday. I don’t wanna say the Ryan brothers are unlikable, but even Mom doesn’t care fore them.
stolen Super Bowl ring has been returned to him after 25 years. Yes. Yes Ido
regret taking it.
• Royals fanJohn Coomer
is suing the club because a foil-wrapped hot dog thrown by the team mascot hit him in the eye. That’s the difference between me and Coomer. I’d be too embarrassed to sue.
• Superstar heartthrobDavid Beckham
continues in efforts to bring a Major League Soccer franchise to Miami. Thus far, Beckham has failed to agree to one MLS demand: That he play all 11 positions.
• Sentences I Never Imagined Writing (one in a series): The Cleveland Indians’ Double A team in Akron, Ohio, has changed its nickname from Aeros to RubberDucks.
• The 54th Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show is going on. I have nothing against boaters, but think every boat with one of those cute nautical-pun names should be torpedoed.
• Hard-hitting 49ers safetyDonte Whitner
is legally changing his surname to “Hitner.” Could have been worse. Could have also changed his first name to “Adolf.”
• On eBay, you can buy authenticatedJim Palmer
-signed underwear that he modeled for Jockey in the 1970s. I can think of no worse job in America than being in charge of authenticating 40-year-old underwear.