Captain Jim Hobales of Caught Lookin Charters reported going two for three on large tarpon. The tarpon action took place late in the afternoon at Government Cut and the tarpon were caught on live crabs and shrimp. Captain Mo Estevez of New Dawn Charters reported large schools of migrating tarpon continue to slide south along the shallow Oceanside flats from Key Biscayne south to Ocean Reef.
Women anglers are invited to compete in the 29th annual Ladies Fishoff May 29-June 1 in Pompano Beach. Prize categories include billfish and funfish (blackfin tuna, cobia, dolphin. kingfish, and wahoo. A kick-off party will be held at Galuppis Restaurant in Pompano Beach on May 29. Anglers may fish out of Port Everglades or Hillsboro Inlets. Weigh-ins are at Alsdorf Park in Pompano Beach. For more information, visit www.ladiesfishoff.com.
Marianne Curtis was on track to becoming a pro athlete playing as a point guard at the University of Miami until an ankle injury during practice turned her dreams upside down.
The first person to begin Sunday mornings Life Time Miami Marathon and Half Marathon was who most people in the stands wanted to see at the end.
Miami Half Marathon
Patty Cohen never understood her husband’s passion for running. Until he was gone, killed in a hit-run. On Sunday, she will run as a tribute to him.
Under new corporate ownership, the Miami Marathon proves competitive racing is a profitable business.
As the Life Time Miami Marathon and Half Marathon bore down on a capacity field Friday, with 800 of 25,000 spots still open when the day began, organizers and athletes prepared for a hot but seasonable day of running Sunday.
When Josh Liebman competes in the Miami Marathon on Sunday, it will be his 100th marathon, but he derives the most pleasure by serving as an inspiration to other runners.
Escape to Miami Triathlon
Nicolas “Nico” Raffinengo is just 10 years old, and he isn’t the youngest to compete in a triathlon. But he was the youngest out of the 1,750 participants in the Publix Escape to Miami Triathlon this past weekend.
A trap developed by Frank Cooney Jr. — whose family owns Bimini Sands — to catch unwanted lionfish is attracting attention.
ING Miami Marathon and Half Marathon
Linda Robertson: In ultimate challenge of ING Miami Marathon and Half Marathon, runners find sanity and even fun
See how they run — cramps, blisters, sometimes even chased by dogs. But some racers say they can’t live without the sport.
In my opinion
The South Atlantic fishing season for shallow-water grouper ends on Jan. 1.
Sunday’s races in Miami Beach endure choppy waters, but they were accident-free.
junior national championships
Although the Miami Rowing Club finished sixth at the USRowing Junior Nationals on Sunday, it made some history in the process.
- Suspended Miami Lakes Mayor Michael Pizzi sues governor to get his job back
- Ice bucket challenge goes awry, firefighters hurt
- Barcelona soccer academy coming to Fort Lauderdale
- Duo’s car theft at Biscayne Boulevard Kmart is thwarted after gunman shows up, Miami-Dade police say
- Fade to black: Leonard Maltin ending movie guides
- St. Louis police release video of shooting
- Israel kills 3 Hamas military commanders in Gaza
- 122 South Florida companies make Inc. 5000 list
- Greg Cote: It’s time to welcome Pete Rose back to baseball
- Miami Central football coach receives slur-filled hate mail from Alabama ‘fan’
- Miami Central Rockets ready for Hoover in opener
- Miami Marlins have flair for the dramatic with one-run games
- University of Miami’s CanesFest will be on campus Saturday
- Improvement in consistency for Miami Dolphins’ Will Davis
- Miami Dolphins cut tight end Michael Egnew
- Miami Hurricanes enjoy surplus of talented cornerbacks
- Inherit? Invest
- Tom Hudson: This has been the summer of cooling energy prices
- FPL expects to reduce rates in 2015
- Miami-Dade existing condo sales fell in July
- Barcelona soccer academy coming to Fort Lauderdale
- Bank of America reaches record $16.65B mortgage settlement
- Jungle Island to host Halloween experience
- For Brazil, World Cup success fuels hope for more tourists at Rio Olympics
- New surgery can relieve epileptic seizures
- Dance, yoga, art — all help Parkinson’s patients keep moving
- Sleep apnea is a risk factor for strokes
- Younger athletes need more testing, training for concussions, expert at Miami Children’s Hospital says
- Seven ways to help kids eat healthy
- Lack of sleep leads to weight gain and vicious cycle
- Stem cells are being tested to determine if they help mobility after a stroke
- Children can have strokes, too
- Miami’s Mad Cat delivers a smokin’ fine and funny ‘Centralia’
- Preserving America’s seafood heritage
- Robin Williams 10 Best Movies
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 11
- Three women struggle after deployment in Helen Thorpe’s compelling ‘Soldier Girls’
- Culture Shock Miami brings cheap tickets and love of the arts to youth
- ‘Shorts Gone Wild 2’ finds laughs and deeper moments in brief LGBT-themed plays
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 10
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Former AP photo editor Toby Massey dies
- Alaska serial killer Robert Hansen dies at 75
- Mento performer Joseph 'Powda' Bennett dies at 76
- Former Vatican City governor Szoka dies at age 86
- Irish peacemaker, ex-premier Reynolds dies at 81
- Former Cuban countess Maria Duany dies at 98
- Indian yoga guru B.K.S. Iyengar dies at 95
- Don Pardo: a link to TV's birth, says 'SNL' boss