U.S. Army veteran Clare Christle of Coconut Creek still suffers crippling back pain from a stateside accident several years ago. Until recently, the 38-year-old had to use a wheelchair to get around. Then Christle learned about the nonprofit, all-volunteer group Veterans Ocean Adventures founded in 2009 by another Army vet where he discovered scuba diving.
Captain Jamie Owens from the party boat Atlantis out of Haulover Marina reported that when the offshore current hasn’t been flying, his daytime customers have been catching quite a few mutton and vermillion snappers on the bottom and a few kingfish and dolphins on the surface. Captain Kenny Krawczynski from the party boat Mucho K has had limit catches of snappers while fishing cut bait over the reefs offshore of Haulover Inlet at night.
FWC appears likely to approve hunting in ‘addition lands’ when it meets again in September.
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission has adopted new rules making it easier for divers to harvest invasive lionfish, which pose a grave threat to Florida’s marine ecosystem.
Two retired coaches and school administrators get treated to a very productive fishing trip and haul in an impressive catch.
Captain Jimbo Thomas on the charter boat Thomas Flyer out of Bayside Marina reported the dolphin fishing of Miami has been very good. Lots of weedlines and at times big mats of Sargasso weeds have been floating north with the Gulf Streams current. Plenty of schoolie-size dolphins and some heavy lifters are feeding on small jacks and baitfish that are hiding under the weeds. Look for hovering or diving birds to help you locate a school of the hungry dolphins. Closer to the reef in depths from 100 to 300 feet of water quite a few blackfin tuna, a few large kingfish, lots of bonitos, cobia and an occasional sailfish are being caught on live baits and trolled feathers.
Bassbusters willl hold silver and gold division tournaments June 21-22 at Roland Martin Marine Center on Lake Okeechobee in Clewiston. For more information, call Chris Fickey at 941-232-9539.
Participating in endurance sports like triathlons, adventure races and marathons in the South Florida heat can be a dangerous but thorough exercise, and cross training can prevent injury while improving your overall performance.
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission meets Tuesday afternoon through Thursday in Fort Myers with lionfish, hunting in the Big Cypress “addition lands,” alligators, and Gulf reef fish highlighting the agenda.
UM scientists go fishing to catch breeding stock for their experimental mahi-mahi hatchery.
Miami-Dade County Parks will celebrate National Marina Day June 14 with free activities at six public marinas encouraging boaters to enjoy their sport. Meet-and-greets and boat safety programs will be presented at Bill Bird Marina at Haulover Park; Black Point Marina; Crandon Park Marina; Homestead Bayfront Park; Matheson Hammock Marina; and Pelican Harbor Marina. For more information, call 305-755-7848.
IslamoradaSportFishing.com reported that offshore boats are finding lots of dolphins to 35 pounds in the blue water and plenty of blackfin tunas are being caught over the offshore Humps. … Captain Jason Sullivan of Rising Tide Charters reported that his clients using Rapala Skitter Walks have had great action on large snook while fishing the shallow flats of Florida Bay.
Triathlete Yunior Rosete-Torres is on a winning streak.
Dolphins | Fishing tournament
Although receiver Brian Hartline was the top angler with a total of 43.6 pounds of fish caught at the annual Miami Dolphins’ Foundation Fins Weekend Fishing Tournament, the crew on Family Therapy — skippered by Carlos Padron — won the first-place overall prize on Saturday.
Former Dolphin linebacker Lee Robinsons 47.9-pound kingfish caught with skipper Terry Claus on Team Qualifier was the heaviest catch in last years Miami Dolphins Foundation Fins Weekend Fishing Tournament, held out of Miami Beach Marina. The 2014 tournament will take place on June 7.
Captain Mo Estevez of New Dawn Charters out of Miami reported big hungry migrating tarpon can be found along the Oceanside flats from the Ragged Keys south to Ocean Reef. The tarpon are eating live blue crabs. … Bonefish and permits have been feeding on the shallow Oceanside flats on the outgoing tides.
The village also wants a state agency to do the same to the part of the flats outside village jurisdiction.
Captain Jim Hobales of Caught Lookin Charters reported going two for three on large tarpon. The tarpon action took place late in the afternoon at Government Cut and the tarpon were caught on live crabs and shrimp. Captain Mo Estevez of New Dawn Charters reported large schools of migrating tarpon continue to slide south along the shallow Oceanside flats from Key Biscayne south to Ocean Reef.
Women anglers are invited to compete in the 29th annual Ladies Fishoff May 29-June 1 in Pompano Beach. Prize categories include billfish and funfish (blackfin tuna, cobia, dolphin. kingfish, and wahoo. A kick-off party will be held at Galuppis Restaurant in Pompano Beach on May 29. Anglers may fish out of Port Everglades or Hillsboro Inlets. Weigh-ins are at Alsdorf Park in Pompano Beach. For more information, visit www.ladiesfishoff.com.
Marianne Curtis was on track to becoming a pro athlete playing as a point guard at the University of Miami until an ankle injury during practice turned her dreams upside down.
- North Korea insults John Kerry over his looks
- Miami museum promotes exhibit with salsa contest
- Giancarlo Stanton’s walk-off single leads Miami Marlins to victory over Rangers
- Gunmen kill 9 in attack inside morgue in Honduras
- 10 dead, 22 missing in Hiroshima landslide
- Florida and feds in a showdown over when to test students still learning English
- Islamic State posts video of beheading of U.S. journalist, warns Obama to halt strikes
- Gov. Rick Scott and Adam Putnam disclose a few more details on King Ranch trips
- Giancarlo Stanton’s walk-off single leads Miami Marlins to victory over Rangers
- RB Burns looks for breakout season for Gulliver
- Miami Dolphins’ kicking job up for grabs
- Key Biscayne tennis tournament gets a new name: Miami Open
- Ex-Belen shortstop Nick Martinez now pitching for Texas Rangers against Miami Marlins
- Miami Hurricanes’ Jake Heaps to practice Wednesday
- Florida Gators fans, players enjoying Bryan Cox on ‘Hard Knocks’
- Killian’s Jaquan Johnson commits to Miami Hurricanes
- $342 million sale of six properties on Miami Beach’s Lincoln Road closes
- Back-to-school worries can stress working parents as well as kids
- Two new regional Italian restaurants to open in Miami this fall from the duo behind Sardinia Enoteca Ristorante
- Freebee rides now offered in Brickell, downtown Miami
- Second-quarter tourist numbers set Florida record
- Golfsmith opens new store in Pembroke Pines
- Bacardi Limited announces new regional president of Bacardi North America
- Guy Harvey fishing new waters
- Cats can pick up virus at vet’s, but they can also transmit it themselves
- 7 new ways to build a 7-layer salad
- Water bath takes some bite out of bitter radicchio
- Pinto beans in cake? Sounds crazy, tastes delicious
- Injectibles may make you look younger - but make sure you go to an experienced practioner
- Study: Fruits and veggies can boost one’s mood, creativity
- Ana Veciana-Suarez: Heaping helpings of restaurant sarcasm do nothing for my appetite
- Aduba, Janney among creative arts Emmy winners
- Miami’s Mad Cat delivers a smokin’ fine and funny ‘Centralia’
- Preserving America’s seafood heritage
- Robin Williams 10 Best Movies
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 11
- Three women struggle after deployment in Helen Thorpe’s compelling ‘Soldier Girls’
- Culture Shock Miami brings cheap tickets and love of the arts to youth
- ‘Shorts Gone Wild 2’ finds laughs and deeper moments in brief LGBT-themed plays
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 10
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email email@example.com. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Report: Famed Iranian poet Behbahani dies at 87
- Ex-Romanian politician, oil tycoon dies at 64
- Longtime 'SNL' announcer Don Pardo dies at 96
- Don Pardo, iconic TV announcer, dies at 96
- Rep. who helped deregulate savings and loans dies
- Former Vermont US Sen. Jeffords dies at 80
- Sophie Masloff, 1st female Pittsburgh mayor, dies
- German-French reporting legend Scholl-Latour dies