▪ The Monica Burguera Foundation sponsors free boating safety classes at various locations around Miami-Dade County on Saturdays through Dec. 5, 2015. Students who complete the one-day course will receive U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary certification. For more information, visit www.mbfboatingsafety.org or call Henry Cespedes at 305-428-2453, ext. 2.
▪ Compete for a $375,000 prize purse in the one-day, three-inlet Sailfish Challenge Feb. 7. Besides a sailfish release division, the tournament offers prizes for the heaviest meatfish-- dolphin, kingfish, wahoo, tuna and cobia. Entry fee is $1,495 plus tax per boat. For more information, visit www.sailfishchallenge.com or call 954-725-4010.
▪ Compete in the 2015 Wahoo Smackdown Feb. 5-7 at the Bimini Big Game Club and Marina. Entry fee is $1,500. Visit www.biggameclubbimini.com or call 954-925-2020.
▪ Families are invited to attend the first annual Homestead Eco-Fair Feb. 7 from noon to 3 p.m. at Losner Park in downtown Homestead. The free event features educational speakers, demonstrations, live music, food, and free trolley rides to Biscayne and Everglades national parks. For more information, visit www.cityofhomestead.com/gateway.
▪ The Miami International Boat Show and Strictly Sail and the Miami Yacht & Brokerage Show come to Miami Beach Feb. 12-16. Show sites for the Miami International Boat Show are the Miami Beach Convention Center, Miamarina at Bayside (Strictly Sail), and Sea Isle Marina. General admission is $20 for adults; free for kids 15 and under. The Yacht & Brokerage Show is on Indian Creek Waterway between 41st and 52nd streets. Admission is free. Visit www.miamiboatshow.com and www.showmanagement.com.
▪ Twin Palms Center for the Disabled will host a Charity Billfish Blast Feb. 13-14 at the Ocean Reef Club in North Key Largo. Entry fee is $1,500 per boat with up to four anglers by Feb. 1. For more information, call Lisa Muskell at 561-392-5444 or Edgar Benes at 561-866-6075.
▪ Make plans to attend the Blue Wild Ocean Adventure and Marine Art Expo Feb. 21-22 at the Broward County Convention Center. The event features workshops, demonstrations, exhibits, and seminars on scuba and free diving, spearfishing, underwater photography, board sports, and marine art. Admission is $23 at the door, which includes an after-party. Show hours are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. both days. Visit TheBlueWild.com.
To our readers
This page is a regular weekly feature focusing on Florida outdoors adventures. Email scocking@MiamiHerald.com.