▪ The Big Pine and Lower Keys Dolphin Tournament, scheduled for Friday through Sunday, is offering up $35,000 in cash and prizes, including a $20,000 cash prize for the largest dolphin caught over 50 pounds.
▪ The VFW Fishing Tournament on Saturday offers cash prizes for dolphin, wahoo, snapper and grouper, along with prizes for heaviest fish by a lady angler and heaviest fish by a juvenile angler. Heaviest Dolphin is worth $2,500. All proceeds benefit disabled and/or needy veterans in Monroe County. Hosted by VFW Post 3911 and Key West Harbor Yacht Club. http://ladiesdolphintournament.com/
▪ Hosted by the Florida Keys Elks Lodge, the third annual Ladies Dolphin Tournament from June 12-13 in Islamorada welcomes female angler teams who compete for the highest aggregate weight of three dorado. Cash and prizes are awarded to first- through third-place finishers, as well as for the largest dolphin fish. floridakeyselks1872.com
▪ With founders including baseball great and avid fly-fisherman Ted Williams, the Gold Cup Tarpon Tournament from June 15-19 in Islamorada appeals to “tarpon addicts,” and both experienced and novice anglers can compete. The event is limited to 25 anglers. Proceeds are to benefit children’s support groups in the Keys. http://www.goldcuptt.com/
▪ The Key West Gator Club Dolphin Derby will be held from June 19-21. For more information, call 305-304-1348.
▪ The Monica Burguera Foundation will host the sixth annual Fishing for Boating Safety Tournament on June 20 at Key Biscayne Yacht Club. Entry fees start at $500 per boat. Social tickets cost $35 for adults, $25 for youth. Email Mari Novo at email@example.com or visit www.mbfBoatingSafety.org.
▪ The Islamorada Dolphin Tournament will be held June 26–27. For more information, call 305-522-4868.
▪ The non-profit Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) will conduct four lionfish derbies awarding $3,500 in cash prizes. Events will be held June 27 at Green Turtle Cay in the Bahamas; July 18 in Fort Lauderdale; Aug. 15 in Palm Beach County; and Sept. 12 in Key Largo. www.reef.org/lionfish/derbies
▪ The fifth annual University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame Celebrity Dolphin Tournament will be held in Islamorada from July 10– 12. http://www.canesfish.com/
▪ The Del Brown Permit Tournament will be held July 11-14 in Key West. http://www.delbrown.com/
▪ The Bacardi Oakheart Key West Marlin Tournament will be held from July 22-25. keywestmarlin.com
▪ The Hooked on Kids Charity Fishing Tournament will be held in Key Largo from Aug. 6-7. For more information, call 954-983-4360.
▪ Former Olympic skiier and fly-fishing great Andy Mill and son Nicky will co-host the 2015 Belize Tarpon Tagging Expedition from Aug. 15-22 at the El Pescador Lodge. Anglers are invited to help tag fish and support research by the University of Miami’s Tarpon and Bonefish Research Center. For more information, call Adam Marton at 312-440-1200 or email Adam@fieldworkersclub.com.
▪ More than 40 species of fish are targeted through Nov. 30, with divisions for men, women, junior anglers (ages 10 to 14) and Pee Wees (under 10 years old). The Key West Fishing Tournament strongly encourages the release of game fish. All participating anglers receive certificates noting their catches and qualify for a variety of prizes. keywestfishingtournament.com
To our readers
This page is a regular weekly feature focusing on Florida outdoors adventures. Email jdevine@MiamiHerald.com and sports@MiamiHerald.com.