▪ Impact player: The Dolphins’ Olivier Vernon blocked a Jacksonville field goal and caused an incompletion by hitting Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles as he threw.
▪ Highlights: Vernon’s field-goal block. Outside of that, the best Dolphins plays were bad Jacksonville ones — holding on a successful field goal, Bortles overthrowing a wide open Allen Robinson in the end zone.
▪ Lowlights: Two three-and-outs, two sacks allowed, 3 yards of total offense for the Dolphins. Jacksonville’s Denard Robinson ran for 75 yards in the first quarter. Jacksonville owned the ball and both lines of scrimmage.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Impact player: Safety Louis Delmas gave the badly outplayed Dolphins a 7-0 lead with his 81-yard interception return touchdown, then recovered a Bortles fumble later in the quarter.
▪ Highlights: Delmas’ return of a terrible Bortles pass. The previous play, an illegal shift penalty wiped out a Jaguars’ gain to the Dolphins 1-yard-line. Linebacker Jelani Jenkins ended another Jaguars drive when he dislodged the ball from Bortles, and Delmas recovered. Caleb Sturgis’ 43-yard field goal followed the only Dolphins drive of the first half.
▪ Lowlights: Jacksonville got its 30-yard field goal after a Dolphins offsides penalty on a missed field prompted Jacksonville to go for a fourth-and-1. Jacksonville made the first down and got the field goal later.
▪ Impact player: Dolphins cornerback Brent Grimes’ 22-yard interception return touchdown put the Dolphins up 17-3, a psychological crusher, considering how Jacksonville had dominated play.
▪ Highlights: Grimes’ interception wobbled Jacksonville. Tannehill’s 3-yard touchdown pass to Rishard Matthews that put the Dolphins up 24-6 was the crusher. Accelerating the Dolphins on that 95-yard drive were a 50-yard completion to Mike Wallace (brilliant catch) and a Lamar Miller 30-yard run.
▪ Lowlights: A 32-yard scramble from Bortles, the big play in a drive to Josh Scobee’s 40-yard field goal. The first two Dolphins’ offensive possessions just seemed to continue the first-half ineptitude.
▪ Impact player: Dolphins quartreback Ryan Tannehill propelled one drive that ended with an interception, another drive that ended with a field goal and had a 30-yard run to help run out the clock out.
▪ Highlights: Sturgis’ 29-yard field goal, which was set up by Dion Sims’ 38-yard reception. Michael Thomas recovered Jacksonville’s onside kick.
▪ Lowlights: Bortles hit Allen Robinson for a 48-yard touchdown, reaching the Dolphins’ end zone for the first time. Tannehill’s end-zone interception prevented another Dolphins score.