A familiar — and welcome — face was back in the huddle Tuesday.
Center Mike Pouncey, out since June with a significant hip injury, practiced fully Tuesday and was pleased with the results.
And although he would like to play Sunday against the Chiefs, a more realistic timetable to return is the following weekend, when the Dolphins play the Raiders in London.
“I feel normal,” Pouncey said. “It feels normal. It just feels good to get back in a stance without hurting again. Right now, I’ll just listen to what the team doctors tell me, as far as how many reps I take in practice.”
Never miss a local story.
Pouncey underwent surgery after minicamp to repair a torn labrum. Some feared he would be out for half the season, but the Dolphins telegraphed an earlier return when they decided to keep him on their active roster to begin the season.
Samson Satele has started the previous two games in his place and will presumably do so again Sunday.
“You’ll never be in real football shape until you play football,” Pouncey said. “That’s my biggest thing, just get back into any football shape.”
The NFL is working with the NFL Players’ Association on a new drug policy that will cut the suspension of some players who violated the old policy on performance-enhancing drugs. The Dolphins have two players — safety Reshad Jones and defensive end Dion Jordan — suspended under that policy.
But multiple sources told the Miami Herald that Jordan will not have his suspension revoked once the new policy is announced as agreed to. The announcement on a new policy is expected soon.
Those same sources were not in agreement whether Jones would be returned to the active roster.
It is possible both players will have to finish their full four-week suspensions, two weeks of which they have already served.
It is unclear why Jordan is not eligible to return when approximately a dozen players are going to be allowed to return before their full suspensions are served.
THIS AND THAT
▪ Former star Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas and former coach Jimmy Johnson were two of the 114 people named to the list of modern-era candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2015. Voters will narrow the list down to 25 in November, and then 15 finalists. Next year’s class will be voted on before the Super Bowl.
▪ Linebacker Koa Misi (ankle) is out of the walking boot he needed last week, but still was unable to practice during the portion open to the media Tuesday.
When asked if he expects to play Sunday, Misi was noncommittal. He wouldn’t even say whether he was in pain.
“I don’t know,” Misi responded. “You’ll have to ask coach [Joe] Philbin.”
▪ At least one key offensive player was upset with Philbin’s decision to sit on the ball late in the first half Sunday, but said he ultimately came around to his point of view.
▪ Jordan Tripp practiced Tuesday for the first time since the linebacker injured his chest in the preseason finale. Like Misi, offensive lineman Billy Turner was out of his walking boot and practicing during the portion open to the media Tuesday.
Neither offensive lineman Shelley Smith (knee) nor defensive end Terrence Fede (knee) worked in practice while members of the media were present.
▪ The Dolphins recently worked out veteran tight end Tom Crabtree, who played for Philbin for three years in Green Bay.