Miami Dolphins starting safety Reshad Jones suspended 4 games for failed drug test
08/08/2014 4:03 PM
09/08/2014 8:04 PM
Reshad Jones was suspended by the league for four games for failing an NFL drug test, the Dolphins announced Friday afternoon.
Jones, who signed a four-year, $30 million deal in 2013, was expected to start at safety alongside Louis Delmas. He still might — but not until October.
“The NFL recently informed me that I tested positive for a substance that is banned under the NFL performance-enhancing substances policy,” Jones said in a statement released by the team. “I worked closely with the union to investigate what happened, and I learned that a supplement I took caused the positive test.”
Jones continued: “I deeply regret not investigating the supplement carefully before I took it, and I will never again take a supplement without having it checked. I am very sorry for the effect of my mistake on my teammates and coaches. I apologize to them, [owner] Stephen Ross, the Dolphins organization and fans. During the time away from the team, I will maintain an intense training program so that I can help my team as soon as I return.”
Jones is the second Dolphins defensive contributor since the beginning of July to test positive for PEDs. Dion Jordan will also miss the first four games of the season.
“I was very disappointed when we found out about Reshad’s suspension,” coach Joe Philbin said. “When we talked to him, Reshad pledged to learn from this situation. Our secondary as a unit, including Reshad, has performed well this offseason, and I have complete confidence in the group as we progress through training camp and into the regular season.”
Jones is allowed to participate in preseason practices and games.
Mike Tannenbaum, who spent seven eventful years as the New York Jets’ general manager, has joined the Dolphins’ front office as a consultant.
Tannenbaum’s primary business will still be as an agent with Priority Sports, and his role in Miami doesn’t include any on-field or personnel duties.
Instead, he will help the team’s sports-science push. Tannenbaum, 45, was part of a group that attended the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference and other similar types of events.
With his background, he has the ability to explore new opportunities in innovation that everyone can’t do right now during training camp and the season.
Philbin and general manager Dennis Hickey have made an all-out push to embrace and create new technology to help the team in all avenues.
Tannenbaum was fired by the Jets in 2012 after a 6-10 season. He did construct a roster that reached the AFC title game in consecutive seasons.
He is close with many of the top decision-makers in both the Dolphins organization and Ross’ RSE Ventures.
“As an organization, we are committed to innovation and technology, and we feel the creation of our analytics department and the development of our sports sciences program will help our personnel, coaching staff and players reach their full potential,” Hickey said.
The hiring was one of several changes to the Dolphins’ front office.
Ryan Herman, previously the team’s manager of football administration, was given a bump to director of football administration.
Former scouting assistants Chris Buford and Max Gruder are now college scout and pro scout, respectively.
Also, Dennis Lock was hired as a head analyst, Dave Regan as a sports science analyst, Brad Forsyth and Marcus Hendrickson as college scouts, J.P. McGowan as scouting assistant and Jonathan Gress as assistant athletic trainer/physical therapist.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.