Miami Dolphins interview candidates for GM, offensive coordinator
The Dolphins interviewed Bill Lazor and Kyle Shanahan for their offensive coordinator job. Meanwhile, Jason Licht, Brian Gaine and Omar Khan interviewed for the GM position, and the team hopes to speak to Tom Gamble.
01/11/2014 12:00 AM
01/11/2014 12:20 AM
With the heavy traffic coming in and out of their building this weekend, Dolphins headquarters might be the busiest intersection in Davie.
The team now has two full-blown searches under way — one for general manager, the other for offensive coordinator.
First, the top job. Just three days after the departure of Jeff Ireland, the Dolphins began interviewing GM candidates.
Team officials sat down with three Friday: Dolphins assistant GM Brian Gaine, Pittsburgh Steelers director of football administration Omar Khan and Arizona Cardinals vice president of player personnel Jason Licht.
As for the offensive coordinator vacancy, Philadelphia Eagles quarterbacks coach Bill Lazor and Kyle Shanahan, who was previously the Washington Redskins’ play-caller, already have come in for interviews.
These meetings were all announced by the Dolphins on Friday evening, a welcome show of transparency in a league that usually hides in secrecy.
Interviews for the GM position likely will stretch through the weekend. With the growing number of candidates and Senior Bowl week just nine days off, there’s no time to waste.
On Friday, word emerged that Miami had targeted two major talents.
One, Baltimore Ravens rising star Eric DeCosta, has no interest.
The other, respected Philadelphia Eagles personnel man Tom Gamble? Remains to be seen.
The Miami Herald has learned that the Dolphins reached out to DeCosta this week but were rebuffed.
Because the Dolphins job would be a promotion for Gamble, the Dolphins don’t technically have to ask the Eagles permission to speak to him, but rather notify the club that they have the desire to do so. Then it’s up to Gamble to decide if he wants to.
DeCosta, 42, did not. As the Ravens’ assistant GM and heir apparent to longtime personnel chief Ozzie Newsome, he has one of the league’s premier jobs already. DeCosta has helped Newsome set the board for one of the league’s most successful drafting teams over the past 15 years, selecting Pro Bowl players Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, Ray Rice and Super Bowl 47 MVP Joe Flacco.
The Dolphins will instead likely focus on Gamble and six other candidates who seem like more realistic possibilities: Licht, Gaine, Khan, Ray Farmer (Browns), Lake Dawson (Titans) and Marc Ross (Giants).
Gaine, a well-respected holdover from the Ireland regime, is said to have met with Dolphins owner Stephen Ross for three hours Friday.
In regards to those interviews, it appears that Carl Peterson’s influence on the process is real.
Ross asked Peterson, his confidant and the former Kansas City Chiefs president, to serve as an adviser during the process.
In doing so, he appears to have nudged vice president Dawn Aponte to the side, according to some with direct knowledge of the situation. A league source said Peterson looks to be fully in charge of the search. That’s a change from this time two years ago, when Aponte helped Ross pick Joe Philbin as the Dolphins’ coach.
As for Miami’s offensive-coordinator opening, Lazor and Shanahan both have solid résumés .
The former helped second-year pro Nick Foles develop into one of the league’s most efficient quarterbacks in 2013. Shanahan had success with Robert Griffin III in 2012 before the team came apart last fall, resulting in the coaching staff’s dismissal.
Both are vying to take over for Mike Sherman, fired Monday after the Dolphins ranked in the bottom third of the league in points and total offense.
Green Bay Packers quarterbacks coach Ben McAdoo and former Texans head coach Gary Kubiak also are on the Dolphins’ radar.
Miami Herald sportswriter Armando Salguero contributed to this report.
Oops, you haven't selected any newsletters. Please check the box next to one or more of our email newsletters and submit again.
Oops, you didn't provide a valid email address. Please double-check the email field and submit again.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.