Jonathan Martin likely will not return to the Dolphins this season, ESPN reported Monday.
Martin wants to play football again, but believes he can’t do it in Miami, a source told ESPN’s Lisa Salters, the network reported.
If true, the move should come as little surprise. Through his agent, Martin has alleged he suffered emotional and physical abuse at the hands of his teammates.
He has been away from the team for two weeks, undergoing treatment for emotional issues.
Since Martin has been gone, several of his teammates — including members of the Dolphins offensive line — have publicly questioned his actions and have expressed strong support for Richie Incognito.
When asked last week whether Martin has abandoned the team, Bryant McKinnie told the Miami Herald: “In a sense, he did when he decided to leave.
“That’s what he chose to do,” McKinnie added. “That put us in a situation where we had to move things around, and now it’s affected us again, because Richie’s been suspended. So we’ve lost two starters.”
Tyson Clabo started at right tackle Monday night in Martin’s place for the second consecutive week. Nate Garner filled in for Incognito. Guard Danny Watkins was active for the first time this season.
The Dolphins were without the services of two other starters Monday night: Koa Misi and Dimitri Patterson.
The absence of Patterson, who has dealt with a groin issue all season, was not a shock. He was listed as doubtful on Friday.
Misi, meanwhile, was a bit of a surprise. He was limited the past week with a knee issue but was considered 50-50 to play.
Nolan Carroll started for Patterson, and Jason Trusnik filled in for Misi.
Pat Devlin Mike Gillislee Dallas Thomas David Arkin
This and that
• Receiver Marlon Moore also was active Monday, just days after rejoining the team.
• Hall of Fame defensive tackle and former UM Warren Sapp was inducted into the Buccaneers Ring of Honor at halftime Monday night.
Adam H. Beasley