Child-abuse charges against former Miami Dolphin Mark Duper are dropped

08/07/2013 6:29 PM

08/07/2013 8:07 PM

Duval County prosecutors have dropped child-abuse charges against former Miami Dolphins receiver Mark Duper, an arrest that stemmed from a March incident with his 17-year-old son.

Duper, 54, stood accused of punching, body-slamming and choking his minor son, and rendering him unconscious. However, prosecutors in Jacksonville did not believe the facts of the case warranted taking it to trial.

“The events described in Mark’s arrest report are grossly exaggerated,” said George Cholakis, Duper’s attorney. “Mark Duper did not commit a crime, any crime, on March 19, 2013.”

Cholakis pointed out how it was Duper himself who called the police to report what was happening, as it was happening, and how the responding officer did not believe a crime had been committed.

It was only after the minor son contacted police the next day and gave an inaccurate portrayal of the events that an arrest was made, Cholakis said.

“If Mark’s arrest brings attention to the problems and issues facing trouble and at-risk youth, then he and his wife, Carolyn, will feel their distress has resulted in something positive,” Cholakis said.

Duper played 11 seasons with the Dolphins in the Dan Marino years, teaming with fellow receiver Mark Clayton to make up the “Marks Brothers.” He caught 511 passes for 8,869 yards and 59 touchdowns in his NFL career, earning a spot on the Miami Dolphins Honor Roll.

Join the Discussion

Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service