Miami Marlins manager Mike Redmond prepares for replay system
02/22/2014 12:00 AM
02/22/2014 12:20 AM
Instant replay might have spared Mike Redmond from being thrown out the only time umpires ejected him as a player. Redmond is convinced replay would have proved him right on a call at the plate that didn’t go the catcher’s way when he was with the Minnesota Twins.
“Of course I was right,” Redmond said. “I have the pictures to show it.”
They didn’t have replay in baseball back then. Now they will.
Starting this season, questionable calls will be subject to video review, and managers will be able to challenge up to two calls per game. Redmond and officials for the Marlins met Thursday with Tony La Russa and Joe Torre — members of the rules committee — to go over the new rules, which are still being finalized.
“It’s going to be different,” Redmond said. “I’m sure there will be some things that come up we weren’t prepared for. Like anything new, it’s going to be different for everybody.”
While Redmond said he is in favor of getting the calls right, and using replay to do so, he’s concerned how it will affect the pace of play.
Will it slow the game down further, in other words?
“Pace of play is such a big deal,” he said.
Redmond said it’s not an issue in football because “those guys are used to stopping and starting, having TV timeouts. The beauty of baseball is the game just continues to flow. It’s such a rhythm game.”
Unlike head football coaches, managers won’t be given a red flag to throw onto the field whenever they decide to challenge a call in order to have it reviewed. They’ll simply inform the umpires.
Redmond said the Marlins are planning to have the team’s video coordinator, Cullen McRae, watching the game on monitors inside the clubhouse to see if any calls should be challenged. McRae will be in radio contact with the dugout.
Managers are given one challenge. If they successfully challenge a call, they are entitled to one more challenge. Umpires can review calls on their own after the seventh inning.
Most plays can be challenged. Those calls that can’t: balls and strikes and “neighborhood” plays at second.
“There definitely will be a strategy to it,” Redmond said. “Are you going to use your replays early in the game? Are you going to save them for the seventh through the ninth? Are you going to use them only on the big plays? There definitely will be a strategy to it.”
Redmond said the new replay procedures are expected to be put through a couple of trial runs during spring training.
Scott has stroke
Marty Scott, the Marlins’ vice president of player development, had a scare earlier in the week when he felt numbness in his left forearm and hand.
Turned out he suffered a mild stroke.
“It was scary in the fact I know my body and I knew something was wrong,” Scott said.
Scott spent a couple of days in the hospital before showing up at spring training camp on Thursday. Doctors have told him to take it easy for a few days before resuming normal activities.• Nonroster pitchers Henry Rodriguez and Jesus Sanchez remain in Venezuela because of visa issues. But Juan Diaz, a nonroster infielder who missed Thursday’s workout for the same reason, resolved his visa issues and was in camp on Friday.
• Marlins closer Steve Cishek said that if any closer deserved a long-term contract extension, it was Braves closer Craig Kimbrel, who agreed to a four-year, $42 million deal with Atlanta earlier in the week.
“There’s no one more deserving than he is,” Cishek said. “He’s the best in the game. No question. He’s just lights out, intense. He’s just way ahead of everyone else, especially at his age .”
Cishek, who successfully converted all of his final 29 save opportunities to close out the 2013 season, will be making $3.8 million this season in what is his first year of salary arbitration. Assuming his salary continues to rise through the arbitration process, the Marlins could decide he’s too costly and try to trade him.
“I don’t really get concerned with it that much,” he said. “I love it here and I love the direction the team’s going. But it’s out of my control.”
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.