Close Hatches ran her win streak to four races with an authoritative five-length victory in the Grade 1 $500,000 Personal Ensign at Saratoga Race Course.
Ann of the Dance rallied to win the $95,600 CTT & TOC Handicap by a nose at Del Mar on Friday.
Shared Belief was installed as the early 5-2 favorite for the $1 million Pacific Classic at Del Mar.
Uncle Southern skipped right to the lead and splashed home a three-quarter length winner in the $100,000 Union Avenue at Saratoga Race Course.
Eclipse Award winner Shared Belief will take on the best older horses on the West Coast when the 3-year-old gelding starts Sunday in the $1 million Pacific Classic at Del Mar.
Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner California Chrome will return to racing in September, when the colt is set to run in the $1 million Pennsylvania Derby.
Former United Nations winner Big Blue Kitten will continue his 2014 season with Sunday's Cliff Hanger Stakes going 1 1/8 miles over Monmouth Park's turf course.
Brother Pete rallied from last to win the $77,000 feature at Del Mar by a head in a three-horse blanket finish on Thursday, snapping a nine-race skid.
According to his Facebook page, Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes winner California Chrome is possible to make his return to the races in the $1 million Pennsylvania Derby on Saturday, Sept. 20.
Wicked Strong and Tonalist, first and second in the Jim Dandy Stakes, meet up again in Saturday's $1.25 million Travers Stakes at Saratoga Race Course.
Making his third start in the United States, Canadian shipper Heart to Heart led all the way to win the $100,000 Better Talk Now by three lengths at Saratoga Race Course.
Alexis Tangier returned to the turf after losing three races on main tracks and won the $77,000 feature for 3-year-old fillies by 2½ lengths at Del Mar on Wednesday.
Game On Dude will take on 10 challengers Sunday in defense of his 2013 victory of the $1 million Pacific Classic at Del Mar.
Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert still isn't sure how far his talented speedster Bayern can run, but he is willing to find out.
Saturday was a good day for Delaware Park.
Week 19 of the NTRA Thoroughbred Poll offered little movement among the 10 horses who have been inhabiting the recent rankings.
Ami's Holiday won the 124th running of the $500,000 Breeders' Stakes on Sunday at Woodbine, the third and final leg of the Canadian Triple Crown.
Main Sequence beat Imagining by a head Sunday in the Grade 1 $500,000 Sword Dancer Invitational at Saratoga Race Course.
Judy the Beauty won the $150,000 Rancho Bernardo Handicap by 1 1/4 lengths at Del Mar on Sunday.
Chuck Streva, 56
Probably no thoroughbred that raced in South Florida over the past four decades escaped the attention of Chuck Streva. From the legends to the losers, he witnessed nearly all, and because of expertise, he provided local newspapers, including the Miami Herald, with his daily selections.
- In Venezuela, cheap gasoline prices stir debate
- Climate change’s souring effects on Haiti crops
- UN peacekeepers detained by rebel group in Golan Heights
- UN: Islamic State group threatens Syria aid access
- Egypt militants post beheading video
- Couple charged with neglect after leaving kids in car while gambling, Hialeah police say
- Dunkin’ Donuts opens kosher restaurant in Dania
- After Rice, NFL increases domestic violence bans
- Florida Gators face tough decision on whether to run QB Jeff Driskel
- Miami Dolphins’ Daniel Thomas, Marcus Thigpen, Caleb Sturgis fail to shine in final preseason game
- Nantambu-Akil Fentress is undersized overachiever for Miami Hurricanes
- Familiarity is theme in St. Thomas Aquinas-American Heritage matchup
- Columbus Explorers outlast South Dade in game dominated by offenses
- Florida State Seminoles wary of Oklahoma State’s speedy Tyreek Hill
- Ferguson wins big over Palmetto in opener
- Several positions remain up for grabs on Miami Hurricanes’ roster
- Jackson Health System board member resigns, calls for independence from political influence
- Dunkin’ Donuts opens kosher restaurant in Dania
- Inaugural Miami New Construction Show begins Friday
- Einstein Bros. Bagels now open at Miami International Airport
- Vivendi Favors Telefónica’s $9.8 Billion Bid for Brazil Unit
- Balancing Act: Ask questions before you volunteer
- Advocates for poor say Jackson Health System bars needy from charity care
- New IKEA opens its doors
- FundraisersupportsRead toa Child
- Steve Almond considers football, our unkickable addiction
- The events of 9/11 and its aftermath shape the lives of a Washington couple in ‘Before, During, After’
- Ana Veciana-Suarez: A 9-year-old with an Uzi? That’s crazy
- Florida: Poker Run set for Sept. 18-21.
- Weekend meal recipes: Shrimp risotto, chile-chocolate brownies
- Weekday meal planner: Cubano dogs for Friday
- Carolyn Hax: One person can make a big difference standing up for another
- Miami’s Mad Cat delivers a smokin’ fine and funny ‘Centralia’
- Screen gems: What’s ahead in movies and on TV for the week of Friday
- Robin Williams 10 Best Movies
- Preserving America’s seafood heritage
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 11
- Three women struggle after deployment in Helen Thorpe’s compelling ‘Soldier Girls’
- ‘Shorts Gone Wild 2’ finds laughs and deeper moments in brief LGBT-themed plays
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 10
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email email@example.com. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Former Miami Dade College art teacher, artist Bob Huff dies at 69
- William Greaves, TV host and filmmaker, dead at 87
- Pioneering Egyptian civil rights lawyer dies at 63
- Bulgarian poet Valeri Petrov dies
- Longtime Tennessee civil rights lawyer dies at 86
- Peruvian journalist Zileri dead at 83
- Correction: Obit-Sperling story
- Correction: Britain-Obit-Richard Attenborough