New York, NY (SportsNetwork.com) - California Chrome decisively won Saturday's Santa Anita Derby and the voters in the National Thoroughbred Racing Association's 3-year-old Poll rewarded him with near unanimous backing as the leading Kentucky Derby contender.
A full field of 14 3-year-olds is expected to go postward in Saturday's 1 1/8-mile, $750,000 Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland.
Horse racing writer and editor Steven Crist suffered a cardiac arrest Sunday at home and is listed in critical but stable condition.
Princess of Sylmar was an easy winner in her comeback on Sunday, the $98,000 Cat Cay Stakes at Aqueduct.
Tom's Tribute rallied from next-to-last to win the $75,000 Thunder Road Stakes by 2¼ lengths at Santa Anita on Sunday.
Wicked Strong pulled a 9-1 upset in the $1 million Wood Memorial for 3-year-olds at Aqueduct on Saturday.
Odds-on favorite California Chrome proved too much for his competition Saturday as the 3-year-old easily won the 1 1/8- mile, $1 million Santa Anita Derby at Santa Anita Park.
Leading sprinter Secret Circle tops a field of six for Thursday's $300,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap at Oaklawn Park.
Longshot Wicked Strong swept to victory Saturday to capture the 90th running of the $1 million Wood Memorial at Aqueduct.
Richard "Dickie" Small, who trained 1994 Breeders' Cup Classic winner Concern and helped launch the careers of several female jockeys, has died of cancer. He was 68.
The waiting for stewards to decide the outcome seemed to drag on, but their conclusion pleased the jockeys and trainers of two horses who raced each other so hard to a finish that couldn't be settled by video replay or a photo finish.
Pineau De Re won a chaotic Grand National by five lengths on Saturday, giving the most prized victory in jumps racing to a doctor who trains horses as a hobby and a jockey back in the saddle after a premature retirement.
Our Caravan, ridden by Manny Cruz, upset odds-on favorite Ring Weekend to capture Saturday's $250,000 Calder Derby at Calder Race Course.
Art Sherman knows what it takes to get a horse to the Kentucky Derby and win. He had a close-up view as an 18-year-old workout rider when Swaps won the 1955 Run for the Roses. Nearly 60 years later, Sherman is taking his own colt to Louisville as the early Derby favorite.
Stakes winning colt Bobby's Kitten had his final Blue Grass Stakes workout Saturday at Keeneland ahead of the 1 1/8- mile, $750,000 stakes on April 12.
Medal Count rode the rail to rally for a 1¼-length victory in the $100,000 Transylvania for 3-year-olds on Friday's opening day at Keeneland.
Coastline, third in the Spiral Stakes last month, put in his last workout Friday morning ahead of the $750,000 Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland on April 12.
Theatre Star won the $60,000 feature for older fillies and mares by three-quarters of a length at Santa Anita on Friday.
Kid Cruz, trained by Linda Rice, will be scratched from Saturday's $1 million Wood Memorial at Aqueduct with a bad shoulder.
An impulse purchase four years ago could pay handsome dividends for England rugby star Mike Tindall in Saturday's Grand National Steeplechase.
- Court: Fla. discrimination law covers pregnancy
- Sen. Bill Nelson seeks local solution to expand Medicaid in Florida
- Cyber cops: Target hackers may take years to find
- What’s open and closed for Good Friday and Easter
- A dozen shots hit Miami-Dade house; man wounded in chest
- AutoNation profit up 15 percent
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- 3 protesters killed in attack on Ukrainian base
- Booker T. Washington High School boys sprint to victories in the Region 4-2A meet
- Anti-bullying bill supported by Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross likely to fail
- Patience, preparation pay off for Miami Heat’s Udonis Haslem, Rashard Lewis
- Exotic, endangered animals thrive at Wild Oak preserve
- Palmetto repeats GMAC crown
- Miami Marlins to use four-man pitching rotation with Jacob Turner on DL
- Killians Ryan Granda dominates in GMAC semifinal victory
- Miami Heat will face Charlotte Bobcats in first round
- Wells Fargo names new regional president for South Florida
- Watsco reports record first quarter results
- AutoNation profit up 15 percent
- Charlotte Olympia opens store at Bal Harbour Shops; Nicholas Kirkwood opens pop-up shop
- Amazon to start charging sales tax in Florida
- City arborist serves by tending the trees in North Miami Beach
- UM law students dig into healthcare policy to help a patient get life-saving treatment
- Sustainatopia opens with focus on social entrepreneurship growth
- Miami chefs put a twist on Easter classics
- Cook’s Corner: Behold the new colors of Easter eggs
- Edgy Veggie: Eggless Egg Salad
- Fit tip: Get enough water
- Watch for sleep drug risks
- If stress has you on edge, these foods will settle you
- How to correct five common beauty mistakes
- Fast, cheap test can save the lives of many babies
- Screen gems: What’s ahead in movies and on TV for the week of April 13
- Tiny victims of a conspiracy of silence
- Stephen Colbert to replace Letterman on late show
- Streisand, Chenoweth director Richard Jay-Alexander to receive LGBT Unity Coalition award in Miami Beach
- Choreographer Trey McIntyre brings community and artistic inspiration from Boise to Miami
- Miami-based National Water Dance Project aims to raise awareness of threats to a crucial resource
- Dance review: Miami-based Brazzdance’s premiere of ‘DaDa’ ambitious and mostly rewarding
- Iconic Hollywood actor Mickey Rooney dies at 93
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Salsa great Cheo Feliciano dies in car crash at 78
- Servier, lab founder in drug scandal, dies at 92
- Malaysian lawmaker and lawyer Karpal Singh dies
- Long-time attorney Larry Kuvin dies at 80
- 'Paul Robeson' playwright Phillip Hayes Dean dies
- Romanian poet, dissident Nina Cassian dies
- Ex-Arizona 3-sport star, NFL QB Fred Enke dies
- British journalist Patrick Seale dies at 84