Stopchargingmaria, sent off as the even-money favorite, gained the lead at the top of the stretch and held off Joint Return to capture Saturday's $600,000 Alabama Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at Saratoga Race Course.
Personal Diary won the $300,000 Del Mar Oaks for 3-year-old fillies by 2 3/4 lengths on Saturday.
Defeated Whitney favorite Palace Malice had his first workout since his loss in the stakes two weeks ago, but had blinkers on for the breeze.
Long-shot Hardest Core ran down favored Magician in the stretch to win the Arlington Million by a length Saturday.
Several 3-year-olds pointed toward next week's $1.25 million Travers Stakes at Saratoga put in workouts Saturday.
Stopchargingmaria swept to the lead in mid-stretch, edged clear of long-shot Miss Besilu and held off late-running Joint Return to win the 134th $600,000 Alabama by three-quarters of a length Saturday at Saratoga Race Course.
It may not have been the fastest workout ever recorded, but Friday's half-mile breeze by Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes winner California Chrome did not disappoint trainer Art Sherman.
Longshot Hardest Core found something extra down the stretch to upset the favored Magician and capture Saturday's 32nd Arlington Million at Arlington Park.
Ohio Derby winner East Hall has begun his workouts at Gulfstream Park for a probable start in the $400,000 Super Derby on Sept. 6 at Louisiana Downs.
Weekend Hideway held off Big Business by two lengths Friday in the $100,000 John Morrissey at Saratoga Race Course.
Trainer Jimmy Jerkens will be represented in next week's $1.25 million Travers Stakes at Saratoga by Jim Dandy champ Wicked Strong with a strong possibility of starting Curlin Stakes winner V. E. Day.
Trainer George Papaprodromou will saddle Imperative next Sunday at Del Mar Racetrack for the 1 1/4-mile, $1 million Pacific Classic in the hope the 4-year-old can return to the winner's circle.
Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens is spending time at Del Mar Racetrack as he continues his recovery from knee replacement surgery.
Istanford led all the way in winning the $96,350 Sandy Blue Handicap for 3-year-old fillies by 3 1/4 lengths at Del Mar on Friday.
Real Solution, last year's winner via disqualification, will face six rivals Saturday as he defends his title in Arlington Park's Arlington Million XXXII.
Kenneth L. Ramsey is looking for more than just Real Solution becoming the first back-to-back winner of the Arlington Million on Saturday.
Jockey Tyler Baze earned his 2,000th career victory Thursday at Del Mar, snapping an 0-for-46 skid.
Former Wood Memorial winner Verrazano has been retired from racing due to lamemess. The 4-year-old colt will stand at stud at his owners' Ashford Stud.
Carameaway took command midway around the far turn and powered to a 3½-length victory over stablemate Dreaming of Cara in the $100,000 Saratoga Dew at Saratoga Race Course.
Spring to the Sky held off Dads Caps by three-quarters of a length Wednesday in the $100,000 Troy at Saratoga Race Course.
- Suspended Miami Lakes Mayor Michael Pizzi sues governor to get his job back
- Ice bucket challenge goes awry, firefighters hurt
- Barcelona soccer academy coming to Fort Lauderdale
- Duo’s car theft at Biscayne Boulevard Kmart is thwarted after gunman shows up, Miami-Dade police say
- Fade to black: Leonard Maltin ending movie guides
- St. Louis police release video of shooting
- Israel kills 3 Hamas military commanders in Gaza
- 122 South Florida companies make Inc. 5000 list
- Greg Cote: It’s time to welcome Pete Rose back to baseball
- Miami Central Rockets ready for Hoover in opener
- Miami Marlins have flair for the dramatic with one-run games
- Improvement in consistency for Miami Dolphins’ Will Davis
- Miami Hurricanes enjoy surplus of talented cornerbacks
- St. Thomas Aquinas Raiders start fast in prep for opener
- In-shape Calvin Heurtelou adjusts to Miami Hurricanes’ 3-4 defense
- Florida State Seminoles focused on opener against Oklahoma State Cowboys
- Bank of America reaches record $16.65B mortgage settlement
- Jungle Island to host Halloween experience
- For Brazil, World Cup success fuels hope for more tourists at Rio Olympics
- Winn-Dixie parent Bi-Lo withdraws plans to take company public
- US judge readies response to Argentina’s threats
- Brazil expands labor rights for domestic workers
- Miami Beach may ban commercial hand-billing in busy areas
- TigerDirect to hold redesign celebration in Aventura
- Crisp and affordable, Spanish white wines won’t dent your wallet
- SeaWorld drops appeal of OSHA violation
- Sleep disorders may be behind a child’s lack of concentration
- Global cruise lines set sail for China
- No slime: Indian dish brings out the best of okra
- Cats can pick up virus at vet’s, but they can also transmit it themselves
- 7 new ways to build a 7-layer salad
- Water bath takes some bite out of bitter radicchio
- Miami’s Mad Cat delivers a smokin’ fine and funny ‘Centralia’
- Preserving America’s seafood heritage
- Robin Williams 10 Best Movies
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 11
- Three women struggle after deployment in Helen Thorpe’s compelling ‘Soldier Girls’
- Culture Shock Miami brings cheap tickets and love of the arts to youth
- ‘Shorts Gone Wild 2’ finds laughs and deeper moments in brief LGBT-themed plays
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 10
- The Herald recommends: City of Miami ballot questions
- The Herald recommends: Doral charter amendments
- The Herald recommends: Yes on all Miami Beach charter questions
- Back to school
- The Herald recommends, for Governor, Democratic primary
- The CIA’s shameful secrets
- Death penalty woes
- Voters beware of boleteras
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email email@example.com. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Former AP photo editor Toby Massey dies
- Alaska serial killer Robert Hansen dies at 75
- Mento performer Joseph 'Powda' Bennett dies at 76
- Former Vatican City governor Szoka dies at age 86
- Irish peacemaker, ex-premier Reynolds dies at 81
- Former Cuban countess Maria Duany dies at 98
- Indian yoga guru B.K.S. Iyengar dies at 95
- Don Pardo: a link to TV's birth, says 'SNL' boss