Louisiana Derby winner Vicar's in Trouble heads a field of nine 3-year-olds for Saturday's 45th running of the 1 1/8- mile, $750,000 West Virginia Derby at Mountaineer Park.
R Free Roll took an early lead on a sloppy track and went on to win the $200,000 Grade 2 Honorable Miss Handicap by 1 1/4 lengths on a rainy Monday at Saratoga Race Course.
Fed Biz led all the way in winning the $200,000 San Diego Handicap by 5 1/4 lengths in track-record time for Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert at Del Mar on Saturday.
Trainer Bob Baffert indicated Sunday that San Diego Handicap winner Fed Biz is unlikely to start in the $1 million Pacific Classic at Del Mar on Aug. 24.
Now that the Jim Dandy Stakes is in the books, it's on to the Travers Stakes for the 2014 class of 3-year-olds.
Big Macher, ridden by Tyler Baze, held off Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile champ Goldencents down the stretch to win Sunday's $300,000 Bing Crosby Stakes at Del Mar.
Bayern won the $1 million Haskell Invitational on Sunday at Monmouth Park, extending trainer Bob Baffert's record for victories in the 3-year-old stakes to seven.
Big Macher won the $300,000 Bing Crosby Stakes by a half-length Sunday at Del Mar.
The combination of trainer Bob Baffert and jockey Martin Garcia once again proved unbeatable as 3-year-old colt Bayern defeated leading filly Untapable and posted a dominating victory in Sunday's 47th edition of the $1 million Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park.
Wicked Strong, ridden by Rajiv Maragh, went past favored Tonalist and won Saturday's $600,000 Jim Dandy Stakes at Saratoga Race Course in advance of next month's $1 million Travers.
Wicked Strong took the lead at the top of the stretch and held off Belmont Stakes winner Tonalist by 2 1/4 lengths Saturday in the Grade 2 $600,000 Jim Dandy at Saratoga Race Course.
Queen's Plate runner-up Ami's Holiday is the 9-5 morning line favorite for Tuesday's 79th edition of the $500,000 Prince of Wales Stakes at Fort Erie.
The far outside post position proved no problem for Fed Biz Saturday in winning the 73rd running of the $200,000 San Diego Handicap at Del Mar.
Geeky Gorgeous set the early pace and then drew off to win the $75,000 Regret Stakes at Monmouth Park on Saturday, beating Salamera by 4 1/2 lengths.
Del Mar will shift two turf races scheduled for Sunday to the dirt and make other adjustments after the deaths of some horses, including two Saturday, since the summer meet began nearly two weeks ago.
Irish Surf won the $100,000 Cougar II Handicap by 8 1/4 lengths at Del Mar on Friday.
Bench Light won Del Mar's $94,882 feature race Thursday, beating Money Clip by 6 1/4 lengths on the infield Jimmy Durante grass course.
V.E. Day won in his stakes debut to give jockey Jose Lezcano his 2,000th victory, rallying from last to edge Charge Now by a head Friday in the $100,000 Curlin at Saratoga Race Course.
Blue Grass Stakes winner Dance With Fate has been euthanized after the colt severely injured his leg in a training accident.
Trainer Wayne Catalano will send out 3- year-old colt Irish You Well in Sunday's 47th Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park, however the veteran Midwest conditioner will be absent because of health problems.
- Hurricanes coach Barrow leaves football program
- 62 killed in Gaza; Israeli soldier feared captured
- Decision to drop hit-and-run case sparks outrage
- After Gov. Scotts secret trip to King Ranch, he tapped a ranch executive for state regulatory board
- STDs are on the rise in Miami-Dade County
- Three charged in airport lounge scam
- Fla. judge orders new congressional map
- South Florida coral stone landscaper Benjamin Bistrong dies at 44
- Federal court case shows ex-Miami Rep. David Rivera is ‘co-conspirator’
- Ethnic politics, ethics issues spill over into some judicial races in Miami-Dade
- LGBT-rights group Equality Florida raises profile, builds clout
- Appeals court upholds genital searches at Guantánamo
- US job growth eases but tops 200K for a 6th month
- Obama lavishes praise on Housing Secretary
- Miami Heat’s Dwyane Wade ready for challenge following LeBron James’ departure
- Miami Dolphins Don Jones humbled, changed since anti-gay tweets
- Miami Dolphins Knowshon Moreno still recovering from knee issues
- David J. Neal: NFL fumbled on Ray Rice punishment, then tried to justify it
- Miami Hurricanes’ QB position in flux again as Kevin Olsen faces at least one-game suspension
- Man who died scuba diving was added to Miami Hurricanes roster a day earlier
- Miami Marlins acquire pitcher Jarred Cosart in six-player deal
- Greg Cote: LeBron-Heat saga unfolds, and its stranger than first thought
- Ladenburg Thalmann Financial Services acquires Highland Capital Brokerage
- IRS commissioner visits Miami to spotlight viral ID theft, tax fraud
- Stonegate Bank reports lower second quarter earnings
- Florida’s largest health insurer, Florida Blue, is raising exchange rates an average of 17.6 percent
- Florida mental and behavioral healthcare providers get funding boost from Affordable Care Act
- U.S. Century Bank reports a loss for the second quarter, continues to plan for a recapitalization
- MTN Communications announces contracts with three cruise lines
- Miami International Airport sees slight uptick in passengers
- Dive into Greek culture on the Florida coast? Opa!
- STDs are on the rise in Miami-Dade
- It’s the season to see Key Deer
- Fasting can improve chemo effects
- Dear Abby: Obsession over six-pack abs puts swimmer in unsafe water
- Chew on This: Spices make food flavorful, and more healthy
- Carolyn Hax: Siblings not pitching in when mother needs them
- What’s the difference between skin rejuvenation and skin resurfacing?
- WWE’s Bautista, Glenn Close, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, Chris Pratt in Marvel’s ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’
- A branch of O Cinema may be coming to North Beach
- Comic-Con 2014: Hollywood stirs fan fervor
- Screen gems: What’s ahead in movies and on TV for the week of July 27
- Naturalist’s book gives hope for wildlife preservation
- Tales of worldy travels take ghostly turn
- An A-to-Z guide to Miami Spice 2014
- ‘Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy’ brings a United Nations of talent to the Broward Center stage
- The Herald recommends: For Broward County Commission
- The Herald recommends for Miami-Dade, Broward commissions
- The Herald recommends: For Miami-Dade County Commission
- Right issue, wrong response on children at the border
- The Herald recommends for School Board and property appraiser
- The Herald recommends
- Israel’s challenge
- Worth a thousand words
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email email@example.com. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Manny Roth, founder of Café Wha?, dead at 94
- Guitarist, songwriter for Alice Cooper dies at 71
- Hotelier Saul Tamen, who brought kitchens to South Beach hotels, dies at 105
- Correction: Obit-Robert Drew story
- 'Godfather of Makeup' Dick Smith dead at 92
- Veteran TV impresario Robert Halmi Sr. dies at 90
- Cinema verite documentarian Robert Drew dies at 90
- 'Flower Drum Song' lead James Shigeta dies at 85