Uzziel won the $75,000 Santa Paula Stakes for 3-year-old fillies by 2¼ lengths at Santa Anita on Friday.
Two-time Horse of the Year Wise Dan successfully returned to the races Friday with a second straight victory in the $300,000 Maker's 46 Mile at Keeneland.
Close Hatches won the $600,000 Apple Blossom Handicap for older fillies and mares by 1¼ lengths at Oaklawn Park on Friday.
Hall of Fame jockey Edgar Prado suffered an injury Thursday morning at Keeneland during training hours and will be away from the races for at least 30 days.
Two-time Horse of the Year Wise Dan showed no signs of slowing down as a 7-year-old Friday, beating the late-charging Kaigun by three-quarters of a length in the Grade 1, $300,000 Maker's 46 Mile at Keeneland.
Steve Asmussen isn't answering questions at the moment about allegations that he and a former top assistant mistreated horses under their care.
Odds-on favorite Close Hatches set the pace and powered through the stretch to win Friday's $600,000 Apple Blossom Handicap at Oaklawn Park.
Lemon Drop Dream, ridden by Ricardo Santana Jr., came flying down the stretch to overtake the leaders and win Thursday's $300,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap at Oaklawn Park.
Regardless of what happens in Saturday's Arkansas Derby and Blue Grass Stakes, California Chrome will be the Kentucky Derby favorite after his scintillating performance in the Santa Anita Derby.
Mark of a Gem held off Jade With Envy by a neck Thursday at Santa Anita in the $58,000 Anacapa Purse for California-bred or sired older fillies and mares.
Joe Aquilino, a longtime New York trainer whose 58-1 shot Badge finished third at the 1999 Preakness, has died. He was 76.
Six Queens, the even-money favorite, easily dispatched three rivals Thursday in the $60,800 allowance feature for fillies and mares at Aqueduct.
We are down to the final two major Kentucky Derby preps races before the 140th Run for the Roses on May 3.
Tapiture has been designated the early favorite in the $1 million Arkansas Derby and will break from the third post position.
A full field of 14 3-year-olds has been entered for Saturday's 90th Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland Racecourse.
Call for the Clock caught the pacesetting Indy Tune to win the $59,000 allowance feature for New York breds on Wednesday at Aqueduct.
Bobby's Kitten is the early favorite for Saturday's $750,000 Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland.
Tapiture was made the 9-5 early favorite for this weekend's $1 million Arkansas Derby, which attracted a field of nine horses.
Rebel Stakes runner-up Tapiture heads a field of nine 3-year-olds for Saturday's $1 million Arkansas Derby at Oaklawn Park.
Two-time Horse of the Year Wise Dan will make his 2014 racing debut Friday as he attempts to defend his victory in last year's $300,000 Maker's 46 Mile at Keeneland.
- Court: Fla. discrimination law covers pregnancy
- Miami Herald town hall focuses on protecting children
- Strip club ‘armed guard’ recovering after head-bashing with concrete stand
- Salmonella decline seen in food poisoning report
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- A dozen shots hit Miami-Dade house; man wounded in stomach
- Unexpected revenues help Jackson Health System
- What’s open and closed for Good Friday and Easter
- Palmetto repeats GMAC crown
- Jose Fernandez, Miami Marlins unravel late in loss to Washington Nationals
- Booker T. Washington High School boys sprint to victories in the Region 4-2A meet
- Anti-bullying bill supported by Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross likely to fail
- Patience, preparation pay off for Miami Heat’s Udonis Haslem, Rashard Lewis
- Exotic, endangered animals thrive at Wild Oak preserve
- Cypress Bay girls tennis team prevails after delay
- Coconut Creek girls basketball team has signing celebration
- Microsoft will celebrate new retail store at Aventura Mall with free performance by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- Royal Caribbean’s Quantum of the Seas to call China home
- Wells Fargo names new regional president for South Florida
- Watsco reports record first quarter results
- AutoNation profit up 15 percent
- Charlotte Olympia opens store at Bal Harbour Shops; Nicholas Kirkwood opens pop-up shop
- Amazon to start charging sales tax in Florida
- City arborist serves by tending the trees in North Miami Beach
- Miami chefs put a twist on Easter classics
- Cook’s Corner: Behold the new colors of Easter eggs
- Edgy Veggie: Eggless Egg Salad
- Fit tip: Get enough water
- Watch for sleep drug risks
- If stress has you on edge, these foods will settle you
- How to correct five common beauty mistakes
- Fast, cheap test can save the lives of many babies
- Screen gems: What’s ahead in movies and on TV for the week of April 13
- Tiny victims of a conspiracy of silence
- Stephen Colbert to replace Letterman on late show
- Streisand, Chenoweth director Richard Jay-Alexander to receive LGBT Unity Coalition award in Miami Beach
- Choreographer Trey McIntyre brings community and artistic inspiration from Boise to Miami
- Miami-based National Water Dance Project aims to raise awareness of threats to a crucial resource
- Dance review: Miami-based Brazzdance’s premiere of ‘DaDa’ ambitious and mostly rewarding
- Iconic Hollywood actor Mickey Rooney dies at 93
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies
- Salsa great Cheo Feliciano dies in car crash at 78
- Servier, lab founder in drug scandal, dies at 92
- Malaysian lawmaker and lawyer Karpal Singh dies
- Long-time attorney Larry Kuvin dies at 80