Two-time Horse of the Year Curlin, his trainer Steve Asmussen and Kentucky Derby-winning jockeys Chris Antley and Craig Perret are among the 10 finalists for election to the National Museum of Racing's Hall of Fame.
Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert announced on his Twitter account that 3-year-old colt Bayern is scratched from Saturday's San Felipe Stakes at Santa Anita with an injury.
Two-time Horse of the Year Curlin and his trainer Steve Asmussen are among the 10 finalists for the class of 2014 of the National Museum of Racing's Hall of Fame.
Sweet Reason won her season debut in a surprisingly close finish Friday at Aqueduct.
Trainer Mike Maker confirmed Friday that his 3-year-old colt General a Rod will take on Holy Bull Stakes winner Cairo Prince in the $1 million Florida Derby on Saturday, March 29.
Rhagori rallied from off the pace to win her U.S. debut by a neck in the $58,000 feature for older fillies at Santa Anita on Friday.
In the middle of spring training, where baseball teams often have split-squad games in order to have all the players in camp get game action, Saturday will see top older horses performing in separate stakes on opposite coasts.
The undefeated Bayern makes his stakes debut on Saturday in the San Felipe at Santa Anita Park. The world will find out if he is the real deal or just a flash in the pan.
The New York Racing Association plans $8.5 million in upgrades at Saratoga Race Course and two other racetracks.
Joelito won the $60,000 Comet Purse by a half-length Thursday at Santa Anita.
Reigning Kentucky Derby-winning trainer Shug McGaughey has Honor Code pointed toward Oaklawn Park's Rebel Stakes on Saturday, March 15.
Hundred Acre Wood led all the way in a 14-1 upset Thursday in the $59,000 allowance feature at Aqueduct.
Saturday's $300,000 San Felipe Stakes at Santa Anita Park has attracted a field of 10 3-year-olds going 1 1/16 miles.
Hall of Fame jockey John Velazquez will receive a leg up on Wildcat Red in the Florida Derby at Gulfstream Park on March 29.
Belmont Stakes winner Palace Malice will begin his 4-year-old season in Saturday's $250,000 Gulfstream Park Handicap versus seven rivals going a mile.
Sam F. Davis Stakes longshot winner Vinceremos heads a field of 10 3-year-olds in Saturday's $350,000 Tampa Bay Derby at Tampa Bay Downs.
Saturday's 77th $750,000 Santa Anita Handicap has attracted eight of the best older thoroughbreds in America, including Breeders' Cup Classic champ Mucho Macho Man, defending winner Game On Dude and Eclipse Award winner Will Take Charge.
A leading British trainer will be allowed to have runners at next week's high-profile Cheltenham Festival despite being under investigation for possessing anabolic steroids.
The weight assignments have been announced and preliminary morning line odds have been offered for Saturday's 77th running of the $750,000 Santa Anita Handicap.
Trainer Doug O'Neill reports on Facebook that 3-year-old colt Bond Holder has not fully recovered from his plane ride last month from California to Louisiana and will not race in this week's Tampa Bay Derby.
- Gaza militants fire large rocket barrage at Israel
- 3 shot dead during unrest in central Venezuela
- Police: Driver kills 2 at South by Southwest fest
- Zimmerman's parents sue Barr over Twitter post
- Florida still No. 1 in foreclosure activity, RealtyTrac data show
- North Mami-Dade woman shot dead behind daycare center
- Two-year search for deadly Nile croc ends with capture in Everglades National Park
- Hundreds of Fla. homeowners reach settlement with Citizens over sinkhole claims
- Warriors achieve one goal towards mission
- Miami Marlins A.J. Ramos tuning up for season
- Miami Dolphins welcome Branden Albert, Earl Mitchell
- Another learning experience for Florida Panthers
- Florida Gators sweep top SEC awards
- Semi-retired Martina Hingis to join star-studded lineup at Sony Open
- Miami Heat tripped up again by Brooklyn Nets
- Bounty of bonefish in Bimini
- Accepting lifetime achievement award, Armando Codina says his long career is far from over
- Wild ideas grow in Google’s secret lab
- Proposal would limit Medicare coverage for some Florida drug testing
- Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway to buy WPLG-Channel 10
- Vicomte A. to open first Miami-Dade store in South Beach
- Miami-Dade unions want healthcare prices
- After Israeli passengers rebuffed, Norwegian Cruise Line cancels Tunisia calls
- For entrepreneurs, life events can disrupt business, too
- Mikey likes this - and it’s healthy
- Fit tip: Should I eat more often?
- Non-surgical treatments available for hip pain
- Why the Oscars are giving plastic surgery a bad rap
- Seven-day menu planner
- Mother, son undergo same procedure with same surgeon — on the same day
- Fred Tasker’s wine column: Cabernet sauvignon is the king of wines, the wine of kings
- Woman has run marathons in all 50 states
- GableStage’s ‘The Mountaintop’ shows a different side of Martin Luther King Jr.
- Multimedia spectacle featuring Robert Redford and environmental awareness lights up Miami’s YoungArts Foundation
- David Mamet’s ‘The Anarchist’ gets its post-Broadway debut in Fort Lauderdale
- Film icon Robert Redford joins wife Sibylle Redfords Way of the Rain Miami performance at YoungArts
- Local, vocal talent powers fun, funny ‘Spamalot’ at Actors’ Playhouse
- Wynwood art cinema makes upgrades
- Sprung beer festival to feature spring and summer brews
- John Turturro to be honored Sunday by Miami Film Festival
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Former Florida Gov. Reubin Askew dies
- Pioneering bodybuilder Larry Dee Scott dies at 75
- Player who inspired 'Kuykenstrong' dies at age 32
- Czech filmmaker Vera Chytilova dies at 85
- Dr. Catherine Poole, the first female to lead UM’s radiology department, dies at 80
- Pioneering paramedic developed priority system for mass-casualty scenes
- 'Fatal Vision' author Joe McGinniss dies at age 71
- British transit union leader Bob Crow dies at 52