St. Thomas Aquinas had 17 football players put their signatures on scholarship papers during Wednesday’s national signing day — more than any other school in South Florida.
The Raiders led the region in college signees in other sports as well with 35 of their athletes from 10 other sports signing.
A bulk of the Aquinas students signing Wednesday were soccer players: Dallas Dorosy (FSU), Jordan Edouard (Coastal Carolina), Hector Gonzalez Maclean (Ithaca), Ashley Johnson (NYIT), Francesca Larrain (Eckerd), Lauren Markin (Suffolk), Mackenzie Marsh (Yale), Isabella Martinez (Allegheny), Dante Medina-Feil (Stetson) and Brittany Simpson (Yale).
In baseball, the Raiders had Alexander Dickinson (Princeton), Jonathan Llorca (Wake Tech), Priamo Lozada-Gonzalez (Baltimore CC), Nicholas Marchese (Tallahassee CC), Jordan Spicer (Polk State) and Carter White (Troy) all sign.
Three from Aquinas’ state powerhouse track program signed as Krystal Sparling and Diamond Spaulding are headed to Texas A&M with Rasheed Tatham signing with Mississippi State.
In other sports, the Raiders represented as well: Nikki Lyons (volleyball, Pepperdine); Kara Mason (volleyball, Providence); Margaret Schloss (cross-country, UF); Diego Recht (tennis, NYU); Eric Goldenberg (water polo, UCLA); Jillian Healy (softball, Rhodes College); Caitlin Ahern (swimming, Louisville); Gabriel Perez-Silva (swimming, Loyola-Maryland); Joey Casolaro (lacrosse, Eastern University); Brian Cress (lacrosse, Catholic); James Crowley (lacrosse, Towson); Alec Cumella (lacrosse, Rollins); Christian Galante (lacrosse, Elmhurst); Evan Schimek (lacrosse, Rollins); Alexander Tumminello (lacrosse, Maryland); and Delanie Weliver (lacrosse, Army).
MORE SOUTH FLORIDA SIGNEES
▪ American Heritage: Jorge Garcia (golf, UF); Jody Julmice (lacrosse, Louisville); David Villar (baseball, USF); Justin Lamazares (baseball, Campbell); Richard Cruz (baseball, FIU); Corey Lorenzo (baseball, Robert Morris); Chase Reyes (baseball, Creighton); Justin Hernandez (baseball, Palm Beach Atlantic); Alec Kushner (baseball, MIT); Wayne Campbell (soccer, Jacksonville); Mikael Dasilva (soccer, UConn); Donovan Henry (soccer, FAU); Julia Jaffee (soccer, Brandeis); Julia Kingsley (soccer, NYU); Melanie Monteagudo (soccer, UF); Ashley Loeza (soccer, Campbell); Alyssa Rodriguez (soccer, Radford).
▪ Archbishop McCarthy: Katie McInnis (volleyball, Indian River); Yari Bradfield (volleyball, American); Taylor Shore (soccer, FGCU); Brian VanBelle (baseball, Broward).
▪ Belen Jesuit: Santiago Nunez (water polo, Brown); Miguel Basalo (swimming, Marist); Inigo Sagarduy (soccer, FIU); Ryan Rodriguez (cross-county, UF); Alejandro Seda (crew, St. Joseph’s); Alexander Keenan (crew, Penn); Nicolas Keenan (crew, Penn); Manuel Sanchez (crew, Cornell).
▪ Cardinal Gibbons: Corry Short (volleyball, Princeton); Nate Pawelczyk (baseball, Winthrop); Justin Lara (baseball, Lenoir-Rhyne); Kelsey Stafford (soccer, Lincoln Memorial).
▪ Flanagan: Gentry Fortuno (baseball, Central Florida CC); Miguel Presno (baseball, Flagler); Deja Bush (softball, FSU); Taylor Coffee (soccer, FIU); Samantha Coveney (lacrosse, Alabama-Huntsville).
▪ Florida Christian: Katelyn Godoy (soccer, FAU).
▪ Gulliver: Andy Alvarez (soccer, Army); Alexander Moztarzadeh (soccer, UNC); Alberto Poleo (soccer, UCLA); Khara Vassell (soccer, UNC).
▪ Lourdes: Christine Hoynack (soccer, Bentley).
▪ Miami Beach: William Baez (baseball, Harvard).
▪ Miami Springs: Annet Cea (soccer, Johnson and Wales).
▪ Miramar: Lorette Thompson (basketball, Florida Memorial).
▪ Pine Crest: Steven Chervony (golf, Texas); Miriyam Ghali (swimming, Columbia); Lindsey Swartz (swimming, Princeton); Adam Saks (baseball, Cornell); Ravi Bakhai (baseball, Chicago); Ines de Bracamonte (tennis, Bates); Kaely Malik (tennis, Boston University); Sloane Gevinson (crew, Penn).
▪ South Dade: Artie Paula (baseball, Lenoir-Rhyne); Junior Gorordo (baseball, Tallahassee CC); Devin Mead (baseball, Young Harris); Mackenzie VanHeusen (soccer, Anderson).
▪ South Plantation: Meagan Abad (swimmer, Indian River); Jessica Trana (softball, Florida Southern).
▪ University School: Evan Klugerman (baseball, Bucknell); Jesse Crosno (baseball, Ave Maria); Cameron Chafetz (baseball, Clark); Julian Cabrera (baseball, Grinnell); Blaine Preston (lacrosse, Florida Southern); Raul Mendy (lacrosse, Tufts).
▪ West Broward: Dalton Brockman (baseball, Broward); Anthony DiFede (baseball, NSU); Samyr Santos (baseball, CCBS); Emily Cabrera (lacrosse, Ava Maria); Megan Obier (softball, South Carolina-Upstate).
▪ Westminster Christian: Joey Alamo (soccer, Stetson); Tomas Espinal (soccer, Manhattan); Eli Medder (soccer, Navy).
BOYS’ DISTRICT BASKETBALL
16-8A semifinal — Sunset 59, Killian 51: Sun (14-9): Leon 6, Salazar 27, Williams 6, Noriega 3, Veloz 15. Kil: Lazareo 9, Katz 3, Douyen 5, Avila 1, Rengifo 3, Garcia 8, Coscia 16, Smith 1, Horden 4, Half: Sun 28-25.
16-8A semifinal — Southridge 67, Coral Reef 46: CR: Fyne 17, Stevens 3, Arabitg 11, Iser 4, Bryan 3, Holcombe 6, Bora 2. SR: Chandler 12, McNair 3, Bartley 19, Mitchell 17, Quinones 4, Charles 12.
15-8A semifinal — South Miami 74, Coral Park 36: SM (14-10): Dawson 23, M.Davis 13, I.Davis 4, J.Brown 3, R.Brown 9, Glover 10, Davidson 3, Barney 11, Lobue 3, Lopez 3. CP: Cisneros 21, Hernandez 2, Fornier 11, Aguavivas 2.
15-8A semifinal — Columbus 51, Coral Gables 44: Col (16-9): Vitiello 20, Byrne 9, Enjamio 8, Rodriguez 5, Elias 3, Jattin 3, Vanzant 2, Fernandez 1. CG: Smith 15, Morley 12, Aminu 9, Hall 8.
16-6A semifinal — Doral 38, Homestead 24: Dor: Pierre 14, Solivan 11, Martin 6, Steel 5, Cobas 2. Home: Collier 9, Outen 5, Louis 4, Alvarez 2, Ivey 2, Robertgean 2. Half: Dor 22-10.
15-4A semifinal — Pace 97, LaSalle 79: MP (19-9): Fisher 38, del Castillo 19, S.Jean 13, Bastien 8, King 6, Brunson 5, Paula 4, Sainvil 4. LaS: Gaeton 32, Sabalza 9, Escandan 5, Cruz 9, Cruz 9, Pita 7, Fortunty 8. Half: LaS 48-40. 3-pointers: Gaeton 7.
15-4A semifinal — Booker T. Washington 74, Mater Lakes 44: BTW: Brown 19, Burnet 16, Neal 12, Stewart 9, Hutchinson 4, Thelon 6, Gator 6, Henry 2. ML: Ortiz 12, Tyler 10, Sierra 10, Pierre 3, Walker 4, Diaz 1. Half: BTW 28-23.
15-2A semifinal — Calusa Prep 60, Hebrew Academy 40: CP: Thompson 4, Odufinna 3, Alexander 2, Lopez 3, Fernandez 1, Aranjo 8, Herrera 3, Watson 1, Matos 12, Colon 6, Joseph 3, Emmanuel 9. HA (15-7): Hochner 6, Masin 14, Diveroli 14, M.Bixon 6. Half: CP 24-16.
15-2A semifinal: Miami Christian 97, Brito 29. 15-3A semifinals: International School-Broward 77, Miami Country Day 45; Sagemont 80, Hillel 46.
GIRLS’ STATE SOCCER
Class 3A semifinal, Melbourne: American Heritage vs. Merritt Island, 12:30
GIRLS’ BASKETBALL REGIONAL QUARTERFINALS
4-8A: Southridge at Ferguson, 7; 4-8A Lourdes at South Dade, 7; 4-8A: McArthur at Miami High, 7; 4-8A: Hialeah at Flanagan, 7; 3-8A: Taravella at Piper, 7; 3-8A: Cypress Bay at Deerfield Beach, 7; 4-7A: NMB at South Broward, 7; 4-7A: Nova at Central, 7; 4-7A: Lake Worth at Ely, 7; 4-7A: Northeast at Palm Beach Lakes, 7; 4-6A: Jackson at Norland, 7; 4-6A: Miami Springs at Doral, 7; 4-6A: Stranahan at Stuart South Fork, 7; 4-6A: Fort Pierce Westwood at Pines, 7; 4-5A: Melbourne Palm Bay at Dillard, 7; 4-5A: Heritage at Suncoast, 7; 4-4A: Booker T. Washington at Florida Christian, 7; 4-4A: Gulliver at Pace, 7; 4-4A: Boca St. Andrew’s at Calvary, 7; 4-4A: Coral Springs Charter at WPB Newman, 7; 4-3A: Marathon at Country Day, 7; 4-3A: Sagemont at Palmer Trinity, 7; 4-3A: Highlands Christian at Melbourne Central, 7.