For Westminster Christian to make believers of state prognosticators, it was going to have to win one against a team that has been to the mountaintop before.
The Warriors did that and then some on their home turf Friday afternoon, demoralizing defending Class 2A state champion Champagnat 48-13.
Westminster Christian (2-0) avenged its lone regular-season loss from a year ago and snapped the 15-game win streak Champagnat (1-1) came into the game with.
“I just told my team that we have to come out and do everything right. We have to do the little things right,” Westminster coach Sedrick Irvin said.
“We just have to take it one game at a time. It won’t get any easier. It’s only going to get tougher.”
Jordan Cronkrite ran for 147 yards and two touchdowns on 18 carries to lead a dominant Westminster rushing attack.
“I knew they liked to blitz on the outside, so I knew the middle was going to be open,” said Cronkrite, a Miami commitment. “I just saw the O-line getting a great push off the line, and I just hit it.”
The Warriors’ offensive line was instrumental in paving the way for more than 400 yards of total offense, including 255 rushing yards.
Two-way athlete Elbre Gaiter had a 14-yard receiving touchdown and another score on a fumble recovery.
Champagnat cornerback Gerald Robinson, a Syracuse commit, was ejected after the Lions’ first play on defense after a scuffle with Westminster’s Tim Irvin.
Also, Champagnat offensive guard Christian Strachan was taken off the field in an ambulance in the third quarter after sustaining an apparent knee injury. He was down on the field for 20 minutes before being helped off.
MORE FOOTBALL• Delray American Heritage 38, Gulliver Prep 0: The Raiders (1-1), ranked No. 4 in the state in Class 4A, were unable to get anything positive going against the much-improved Stallions, who bounced back from a close defeat to Miramar last week.
Gulliver will attempt to get back on the winning track when it plays Hollywood Chaminade at 4 p.m. next Friday.• Doral Academy 16, Pines Charter 14: Doral Academy raised its record to 2-0 with the victory. Nick Delgado led Doral with 18 carries for 136 yards and two touchdowns. Joseph Zagales and Brian Pino Moore each had 14 tackles. Defensive lineman Thomas Franchi added 11 tackles.
• La Salle d. Edison 25-2, 25-5, 25-6: Mati de Leon four kills, five aces; Tina Escarra 20 aces, 17 assists, one kill. Stephanie Marcellos four aces, five kills. Nina Gutierrez three kills, one block, four digs. LS 2-2.
• Divine Savior Academy d. Hollywood Christian 25-10, 25-17, 25-18: Alejandra Rodriguez 25 kills, 10 digs, four aces. Andrea Santiago 20 digs. Victoria Caldera 11 kills, eight digs.
• Miami Country Day d. St. Brendan 25-17, 17-25, 24-26, 32-30, 15-7: Brooke Pumo 13 kills, one ace, nine digs. Taylor Mashburn six kills, one ace. Sasha Jenkins one kill, 28 asists, one ace. Sydney jones seven kills, one ace. Adriana Vivas 11 digs, 18 points.
• Westwood Christian d. Colonial Christian 25-21, 18-25, 25-12, 25-15: WC 2-2.
• Palmer Trinity d. TERRA 25-16, 25-13, 25-11: Juliette Hamilton 30 assists, two aces, six digs. Ashley Quero four kills, four blocks. Grace Hibshman four blocks, seven kills. PT 3-0.
• Ransom d. Key West 25-9, 25-5, 25-7.
• Ransom d. Coral Shores 25-3, 25-8, 25-10.• Gulliver d. Miami Country Day 25-17, 25-19, 25-20: Lauren Gold five kills, four blocks. Lauren Potter nine kills, three blocks, four aces, nine digs. Blanca Mengotti seven kills, three aces, 11 digs. Stephanie Potter 10 digs, two aces.
• Miami Beach 90, Hialeah Gardens 80: 400 free: Miami Beach 4:52. 200 free: Claudia Mendez (HG) 2:33. HG 1-2.
• Mourning 104, Hialeah 25: 50 Free: Ashley Luy 28.47 (1:04.23).
• Mater Academy 70, Goleman 16.
• Late Thursday — Doral Academy 115, Westminster Christian 41: 200 free: Nastassja Posso. 100 Back: Nastassja Posso. 200 IM: Andrea Perez Hickman. 50 free: Hope Silveira. 500 free: Nicole Nieto.
• Hialeah Gardens 112, Miami Beach 46: 200 Free: Francisco Real (HG) 2:01. 100 backstroke: Kenny Cordoves (HG) 1:13. HG 3-0.
• Mourning 103, Hialeah 68: 200 Free: David Leuws (2:13.78). 500 Free: David Leuws (6:28.72).
• Mater Academy 66, Goleman 44.
• Late Thursday — Doral Academy 120, Westminster Christian 39: 100 fly: Alberto Gomez. 100 breast: Alberto Gomez. 50 free: Austin Arrieta. 100 free: Adriano Martinez. 200 IM: Joseph Perez.
• Miami Country Day 173, La Salle INC (Crandon Park, par 35): Spencer Berens (MCD) 38, Griffin Steutel (MCD) 42, Lorenzo Figueroa (MCD) 45.
University School: Alec Zager (21:28.59), Blake Stern (23:44.20).
WEST. CHRISTIAN 48,
WC- Cronkrite 9 run (Reed kick)
CHA- Salomon 49 pass from Nelson (Estrada kick)
WC- Oliver 47 pass from Matos (Reed kick)
WC- Gaiter 14 pass from Matos (Reed kick)
CHA- Manyou 24 pass from Nelson (kick failed)
WC- Cronkrite 1 run (kick failed)
WC- Gaiter 8 fumble return (Alamo kick)
WC- Oliver 1 run (Alamo kick)
WC- Whyte 45 run (Alamo kick)
Rushing (att-yds) -- CHA: Labady 1-3, Nelson 14-20, Frederick 13-39. WC: Alamo 1-(-11), Matos 2-(-4), Irvin 1-2, Oliver 3-5, Moss 1-12, Whyte 1-45, Jones 8-59, Cronkrite 18-147.
Passing (comp-att-int, yds)-- CHA: Nelson 12-22-0, 144. WC: Acosta 2-4-0, 51, Matos 3-4-1, 67.
Receiving (rec-yds-TD) -- CHA: Martinez 1-7, Claude 2-14, Johnson 2-21, Manyou 5-33, Salomon 2-69. WC: Oliver 2-53, Gaiter 3-65.
Miami Springs vs. Hialeah Gardens (Milander), 7
Keys Gate vs. Mater Academy Charter (Traz), 2
Northwestern vs. Raines (Raines), 7
American Heritage vs. Miramar (Miramar), 6
Piper vs. Coral Glades (Coral Glades), 6
Kathleen vs. Northeast (Miramar), 2