Last week’s best Miami-Dade performances
TEAM OF THE WEEK
The Belen boys’ cross-country team secured its fourth consecutive state championship and seventh in eight seasons. Junior Ryan Rodriguez finished fifth in 15:29.87, and Fabian Tomas (12th) Michael Magoulas (16th), Alexander Isaac (30th) and Joshua Collins (31st) placed in the top 50.
ATHLETES OF THE WEEK• Dijion Smith, Coral Gables, football: Smith threw for 243 yards and three touchdowns and ran for 59 yards and one more touchdown to lead the Cavaliers to a 31-24 win against previously unbeaten Southwest.
• Khalil Render, South Dade, football: Render completed 10 for 17 passes for 280 yards and three touchdowns to help the Bucs beat Homestead 34-21.
• Sylvia Hernandez, Westminster Christian, girls’ volleyball: Hernandez had 16 kills and eight digs to lead the Warriors to the Class 3A state finals for the third consecutive season.
• Caroline Sklaver, Ransom Everglades, girls’ volleyball: Sklaver had 19 kills, 32 assists, five aces, three blocks and 11 digs to lead the Raiders to a five-game win over Chaminade in the Region 4-4A final.
• Michelle Cuervo, Ferguson, girls’ volleyball: Cuervo had 23 kills and 11 digs to help the Falcons beat West Broward and clinch their first trip to the state final four since 2009.
• Nick Diaz, Sunset, boys’ cross-country: Diaz became the first Sunset runner to ever win a state title and first Dade public school runner since 2002 when he won the Class 4A title in 15:22.90.
• Daesha Rogers, Jackson, girls’ cross-country: Rogers finished a Dade-best second in the Class 2A state meet with a time of 18:29.34 becoming the first girls’ state runner-up in Jackson history.
• Wayne Denswil, St. Brendan, boys’ swimming: Denswil won the 200 IM (1:52.47) and 100 breaststroke (56.97) at the Class 2A state championships.
• Laine Morgan, Annie Valls, Alexa Kalandiak and Kyla Valls, Ransom Everglades, girls’ swimming: The Raiders’ 200-medley relay team secured a state championship at the Class 1A meet.
• Juan Yumar, Columbus, boys’ golf: Yumar finished tied for 10th — a Dade-best finish — at the Class 3A state championship.
• Alex Yaniz, Miami Christian, boys’ bowling: Yaniz bowled a 970 four-game high series and was the only Dade bowler to advance to the second day of the state bowling championships.
• Juan Grimaldo, Varela, boys’ soccer: Grimaldo recorded a shutout in the Vipers’ 1-0 win against Ferguson.
• Abby Clanton, Dade Christian, girls’ soccer: Clanton had the game-winning goal in the Crusaders’ 1-0 win against South Florida HEAT.