The best high school sports performances in Miami-Dade County
11/12/2013 12:01 AM
09/08/2014 6:57 PM
Last week’s best Miami-Dade performances
TEAM OF THE WEEK
The Belen boys’ cross-country team secured its fourth consecutive state championship and seventh in eight seasons. Junior Ryan Rodriguez finished fifth in 15:29.87, and Fabian Tomas (12th) Michael Magoulas (16th), Alexander Isaac (30th) and Joshua Collins (31st) placed in the top 50.
ATHLETES OF THE WEEK• Dijion Smith, Coral Gables, football: Smith threw for 243 yards and three touchdowns and ran for 59 yards and one more touchdown to lead the Cavaliers to a 31-24 win against previously unbeaten Southwest.
• Khalil Render, South Dade, football: Render completed 10 for 17 passes for 280 yards and three touchdowns to help the Bucs beat Homestead 34-21.
• Sylvia Hernandez, Westminster Christian, girls’ volleyball: Hernandez had 16 kills and eight digs to lead the Warriors to the Class 3A state finals for the third consecutive season.
• Caroline Sklaver, Ransom Everglades, girls’ volleyball: Sklaver had 19 kills, 32 assists, five aces, three blocks and 11 digs to lead the Raiders to a five-game win over Chaminade in the Region 4-4A final.
• Michelle Cuervo, Ferguson, girls’ volleyball: Cuervo had 23 kills and 11 digs to help the Falcons beat West Broward and clinch their first trip to the state final four since 2009.
• Nick Diaz, Sunset, boys’ cross-country: Diaz became the first Sunset runner to ever win a state title and first Dade public school runner since 2002 when he won the Class 4A title in 15:22.90.
• Daesha Rogers, Jackson, girls’ cross-country: Rogers finished a Dade-best second in the Class 2A state meet with a time of 18:29.34 becoming the first girls’ state runner-up in Jackson history.
• Wayne Denswil, St. Brendan, boys’ swimming: Denswil won the 200 IM (1:52.47) and 100 breaststroke (56.97) at the Class 2A state championships.
• Laine Morgan, Annie Valls, Alexa Kalandiak and Kyla Valls, Ransom Everglades, girls’ swimming: The Raiders’ 200-medley relay team secured a state championship at the Class 1A meet.
• Juan Yumar, Columbus, boys’ golf: Yumar finished tied for 10th — a Dade-best finish — at the Class 3A state championship.
• Alex Yaniz, Miami Christian, boys’ bowling: Yaniz bowled a 970 four-game high series and was the only Dade bowler to advance to the second day of the state bowling championships.
• Juan Grimaldo, Varela, boys’ soccer: Grimaldo recorded a shutout in the Vipers’ 1-0 win against Ferguson.
• Abby Clanton, Dade Christian, girls’ soccer: Clanton had the game-winning goal in the Crusaders’ 1-0 win against South Florida HEAT.
Oops, you haven't selected any newsletters. Please check the box next to one or more of our email newsletters and submit again.
Oops, you didn't provide a valid email address. Please double-check the email field and submit again.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.