TERRA bowlers win unprecedented string of titles; Goleman girls, Miami Christian boys also win
10/30/2013 12:07 AM
10/30/2013 12:35 PM
TERRA has had a historic bowling season for a fifth-year school.
But the Wolves did something Tuesday no other Miami-Dade County bowling program had achieved.
TERRA swept the District 17 championships at Bird Bowl, qualifying for next week’s state tournament in Orlando.
With the victories, the Wolves became the first school to sweep the team championships at the GMAC, Youth Fair and district tournaments in the same season.
Tori Burstein led TERRA’s girls, bowling a 531 series to help the Wolves edge Ferguson, which also qualified for state, led by Alexandra Gonzalez’s 443.
Samantha Boellard rolled a 486 and Kristi Perlberg followed with a 474 for TERRA.
On the boys’ side, TERRA also edged Ferguson, led by Joshua Munoz’s 578 and Kevin Morrissey’s 548.
TERRA knocked down 2,502 pins to finish ahead of the Falcons’ 2,441. Ferguson was led by Richard Pinero’s 566.
Killian’s sophomore Carlos Forero continued his impressive season, qualifying for state individually with a 675 series. South Dade’s Jon Hall, who won the GMAC individual title last week, bowled a 610.
South Dade also had Kristin Smith qualify for state individually after bowling a 440. Coral Reef’s Leia Schwartz and Gulliver Prep’s Sofia DeSolo each bowled a 439 to also qualify individually.
District 16: Miami Christian’s boys and Goleman’s girls secured the team titles at AMF Pembroke Pines Lanes.
Alex Yaniz continued his dominant season for Miami Christian, bowling a tournament-best 665. Northwest Christian’s Cody Stevens qualified for state individually finishing second after bowling a 579 series.
Also qualifying for state was Hialeah Gardens’ Andere Barrientos with a score of 509.
In the final round, Miami Christian swept its series against Miami Beach 3-0, Mourning 3-1 and Mourning in the finals to take the title.
Goleman edged Reagan 3-2 in the Baker bracket round to win the team title. Catherine Gutierrez led the Gators with a series of 450. American’s Briana Futch qualified for state with a score of 440 and Miami Beach had an individual state qualifier in Brianna Schwartz (405).
District 17 – Boys’ team results: 1. TERRA 2,502; 2. Ferguson 2,441; Individual qualifiers: Carlos Forero (Killian) 675; Jon Hall (South Dade) 610.
Girls’ team results: 1. TERRA 2,269; 2. Ferguson 1,861; Individual qualifiers: 1. Kristin Smith (South Dade) 440; 2. Leia Schwartz (Coral Reef) and Sofia DeSolo (Gulliver) 439.
District 16 – Boys’ team scores: Miami Christian 2,430; Mourning 2,248; Reagan 2,170; Miami Beach 2,048; Hialeah Gardens 2,017; Individuals: Alex Yaniz (MC) 665; x-Cody Stevens (NWC) 579; Jeffrey Yaniz 543; Omar Hafeez (ATM) 517; x-Andre Barrientos (HG) 509.
Girls’ team scores: Reagan 1,784; Goleman 1,780; HML 1,671; Miami Beach 1,658; American 1,636; Individuals: Catherine Gutierrez (GOL) 450; x-Briana Futch (AM) 440; x-Brianna Schwartz (MB) 405; Maria Rojas (RR) 402; Vanessa Galvez (Gol) 375; Chantal Batista (RR) 365; Arielle Kurkin (MB) 359.
Region 4-7A quarterfinal – St. Thomas Aquinas d. Hialeah-Miami Lakes, 25-8, 25-4, 25-6: The nationally ranked Raiders did not appear overconfident Tuesday evening as they cruised to the home victory.
St. Thomas (26-2) never trailed, thanks to precise setting by Mackenzie Zielinski, who finished with 34 assists and three aces. Kara Mason finished with 10 kills and three digs. Kaylie McHugh had seven digs. Alliyah McBean had five aces.
Aquinas will host Doral Ronald Reagan, which beat Nova, in the regional semifinals next Tuesday at 6 p.m.
Aquinas coach Lisa Zielinski, who celebrated her 700th victory as a coach with the win, said she and her coaching staff have intensified practices in order to keep her team focused even against potential competition in which it will be considered favorites.
“As any playoff, we can’t take any team or match lightly and you have to play your best,” Zielinski said.
ANDRE C. FERNANDEZ
Region 4-7A quarterfinal – Reagan d. Nova, 25-23, 25-13, 25-11.
Region 4-2A quarterfinal - Divine Savior d. Island Christian, 25-11, 25-12, 25-17
Region 4-2A quarterfinal - Boca Raton Christian d. Edison Private, 25-7, 25-12, 25-12.
GIRLS’ SOCCER• Coral Reef 10, Sunset 0: Rebecca Fallon 2 goals. Julia Decerega goal, 2 assists. Hannah Cividanes goal, 3 assists. Safiya Baxter shutout.
• TERRA 9, Westland Hialeah 0: Sofia Aviles 3 goals, assist. Alexandra Pepin 2 goals. Carolina Schooley 2 goals, assist. Nina Maceo goal, assist. Adriana Speckmaier goal, assist. Karina Bermudez 3 assists. TERRA 1-0.
• Palmetto 5, Killian 1: For PAL: Shelby Denkert 2 goals, assist. Ava Gruener goal, assist. Stephany Diaz goal. For KIL: Amanda Perez assist.
Jamie McGinley goal.• Reagan 5, Braddock 0: Daniella Borjas 2 goals, assist. Sofia Betancour 2 goals. Jessica Mendez goal.
• Doral 2, Chaminade-Madonna 0: Alissa Bayo goal. Melanie Villalobos goal. DOR 1-0.
• Carrollton 6, Marathon 2: Samantha Hoadley 2 goals, 2 assists. Drew Wells 2 goals. Michelle Diaz-Silveira goal. Isabella King assist. Sofia Sosa assist.
• Ferguson 8, Southridge 0: Jessica Suarez 2 goals, 3 assists. Isa Jara 2 goals. Gabby Bovo goal. Marcela Ramirez goal. Brianna Austin goal. Adanna Edwards goal.
• Miami Springs 8, Goleman 0: Alessandra Salazar 4 goals. Sofia De la Puente goal, 4 assists. Sofia Gomez goal. MS 1-0.
• South Dade 1, Varela 0: Johanna Diaz goal. Brittany Larosa assist. Andy Bueno shutout. SD 1-0
• Palmer Trinity 4, Westminster Christian 1: Sarah Medina 2 goals, assist. Hana Bornani goal, assist. Victoria Rosales goal. Sofia Rivas assist.
• Mater Academy 6, Homestead 0: Karly Villar 3 goals. Julissa Benitez goal, 2 assists. Alexis Rodriguez goal, assist. MA 1-0.
• Archimedean 3, Keys Gate 0. AC 1-0.
BOYS’ SOCCER• Ransom Everglades 4, Doral 0: Matt Lirman goal. Fran Carrera-Justiz goal. Jack Houston goal. Robert Shellow goal.
• Palmetto 4, Miami Country Day 0: Kevin Haller 2 goals, assist. Pablo Serrano goal. Sascha Stutz goal.
• Westland Hialeah 2, North Miami 1: Fernando Fernandez goal. Denis Aviles goal.
• Coral Reef 3, Central 1: For CR: Austin Ruel goal. Austin Maysonet goal. Aldemar Ortiz goal. For CEN: Danny Del Oso 2 assists. Hernandes Spinola assist.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.