Andre Fernandez’s poll of the top 20 high school football teams
10/22/2013 12:01 AM
09/08/2014 6:55 PM
1. Booker T. Washington (8-0) vs. Norland (2-5), 7, Thurs., Traz.
Andre’s pick: Booker T. 42, Norland 6. Injuries or not, Tornadoes have way too much to slip up in this one.
2. Central (6-1) vs. 11. Carol City (5-2), 7:30, Fri., Traz.
Andre’s pick: Central 35, Carol City 17. The Rockets have enough firepower to dominate this one and lock up the district championship.
3. University (7-0) at Bradenton Manatee (8-0), 7:30, Friday.
Andre’s pick: University 41, Manatee 38. Suns wins a high-scoring matchup between nationally ranked teams.
4. Miramar (8-0) at Cypress Bay (4-3), 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Miramar 34, Cypress Bay 7. The gap is much wider than usual between these two teams this season.
5. St. Thomas Aquinas (6-1) vs. Hollywood Hills (3-4), 7, Fri.
Andre’s pick: St. Thomas Aquinas 54, Hollywood Hills 7. Another rout for Aquinas before taking on two of county’s best to end the regular season.
6. Deerfield Beach (7-0) at Coral Glades (0-7), 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Deerfield Beach 49, Coral Glades 3. Bucks can clinch district title with win and South Plantation loss.
7 . American Heritage (7-1): Bye.
8. South Dade (7-0) vs. Killian (3-4), 7, Sat., Tropical.
Andre’s pick: South Dade 20, Killian 14. Cougars are back on track, but beating the Bucs is a different matter.
9. Cardinal Gibbons (7-0) vs. Blanche Ely (2-5), 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Gibbons 37, Ely 14. Fresh off a playoff-clinching win, Gibbons remains unbeaten with another lopsided win.
10. Plantation (6-1) at Northeast (2-5), 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Plantation 34, Northeast 13. A tune-up for the Colonels before taking on Aquinas.
12. Flanagan (7-1) vs. West Broward (1-5), 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Flanagan 52, West Broward 7. Falcons bounce back with an easy victory.
13. Southwest (7-0) vs. Ferguson (4-3), 7:30, Fri., Tropical.
Andre’s pick: Southwest 45, Ferguson 14. Eagles move closer to clinching the District 15-8A title.
14. Coral Gables (6-1) vs. Coral Park (0-7), 4, Thursday.
Andre’s pick: Coral Gables 48, Coral Park 6. Cavaliers should cruise to the victory and possibly clinch the district title if Miami Beach loses.
15. Dillard (5-2) vs. Riviera Beach Suncoast (1-6), 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Dillard 45, Suncoast 7. Panthers win sixth in a row and clinch District 15-6A championship.
16. Monarch (7-1) vs. South Plantation (5-2), 7, Fri., Deerfield Beach.
Andre’s pick: Monarch 27, South Plantation 17. Knights secure their first trip to the playoffs.
17. North Miami (6-1) vs. Reagan (3-4), 7, Sat., N. Miami.
Andre’s pick: North Miami 34, Reagan 7. Storybook season continues for the Pioneers as they clinch the District 13-8A title.
18. Champagnat Catholic (8-0): Bye.
19. Westminster Christian (7-1) vs. Key West (0-7), 1, Saturday.
Andre’s pick: Westminster Christian 55, Key West 7. Warriors continue their march to the playoffs.
20. Hallandale (7-1) vs. Stranahan (3-4), 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Hallandale 47, Stranahan 17. Chargers must win out to make it to the playoffs.
Oops, you haven't selected any newsletters. Please check the box next to one or more of our email newsletters and submit again.
Oops, you didn't provide a valid email address. Please double-check the email field and submit again.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.