Andre C. Fernandez’s Top 20 high school football poll
10/08/2013 12:01 AM
10/08/2013 1:00 AM
1. Booker T. Washington (6-0) vs. Northwestern (3-2), 7, Sat., Traz.
Andre’s pick: Booker T. 35, Northwestern 7. Tornadoes show how lopsided this rivalry has become.
2. Central (4-1) vs. Norland (2-4), 7:30, Fri., Traz.
Andre’s pick: Central 34, Norland 12. Rockets push further away from the rest of the pack in District 16-6A.
3. University (6-0): Bye.
4. Miramar (6-0) at Everglades (3-3), 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Miramar 42, Everglades 7. Another comfortable district victory for the Patriots before their showdown with Flanagan.
5. St. Thomas Aquinas (4-1) at Northeast (1-4), 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: St. Thomas 50, Northeast 7. The Raiders’ roll through their middle part of their schedule continues.
6. Deerfield Beach (5-0) vs. Piper (2-3), 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Deerfield Beach 38, Piper 7. Bucks cruise to another comfortable, but important district win.
7. American Heritage (5-1) vs. Jacksonville Bolles (4-1), 7:30, Friday.
Andre’s pick: American Heritage 34, Bolles 17. Following win over Jackson, Heritage shows it can seriously contend for the Class 5A state title.
8. South Dade (6-0) vs. 11. Jackson (3-2), 7:30, Fri., Curtis.
Andre’s pick: South Dade 20, Jackson 19. Tough time right now for Generals, Bucs have a chance to take advantage and show their worth.
9. Cardinal Gibbons (6-0): Bye.
10. Hallandale (6-0) vs. Riviera Beach Suncoast (1-4), 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Hallandale 55, Suncoast 7. More points, more yards equate to another blowout win for the Chargers.
12. Flanagan (6-0) vs. Cooper City (2-4), 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Flanagan 34, Cooper City 10. After a close call against Everglades, expect the Falcons to be wary of another upset-minded foe.
13. Plantation (4-1) vs. Blanche Ely (1-4), 7, Fri., PAL.
Andre’s pick: Plantation 34, Ely 18. Colonels make some big plays and stay on winning track.
14. Carol City (3-2) vs. North Miami Beach (2-4), 7, Thurs., Traz.
Andre’s pick: Carol City 22, NMB 8. Rested Chiefs win this rivalry game before jumping back into district play.
15. Coral Gables (5-0) vs. Killian (1-4), 7, Thurs., Southridge.
Andre’s pick: Coral Gables 20, Killian 18. Cavs continue to succeed behind defense and running of Greg Howell.
16. Gulliver (6-0) vs. Westminster Christian (5-1), 4, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Gulliver 27, Westminster Christian 17. Raiders roll into the showdown with Booker T. undefeated.
17. Southwest (5-0) vs. South Miami (3-2), 7, Wed., Tropical.
Andre’s pick: Southwest 37, South Miami 14. Eagles show off their explosiveness again in this high-scoring game.
18. North Miami (5-0) vs. Coral Reef (4-2), 7:30, Fri., N. Miami.
Andre’s pick: North Miami 20, Coral Reef 17. Another chance for Pioneers to show how far they have progressed.
19. Hialeah (4-1) at South Fort Myers (4-2), 7:30, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Hialeah 34, South Fort Myers 24. T-Breds change their fortunes in road games.
20. Monarch (6-0) vs. Taravella (2-3), 7, Fri., Coral Springs.
Andre’s pick: Monarch 31, Taravella 17. Knights get crucial win in District 11-8A playoff race.
Oops, you haven't selected any newsletters. Please check the box next to one or more of our email newsletters and submit again.
Oops, you didn't provide a valid email address. Please double-check the email field and submit again.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.