Andre Fernandez’s poll of top 20 high school football teams
10/01/2013 12:01 AM
10/14/2013 10:11 PM
1. Booker T. Washington (5-0) at Bishop Gorman, Nev. (4-0), 10, Friday.
Andre C. Fernandez’s pick: Booker T. 34, Bishop Gorman 20. Another chance for the Tornadoes to show the country they belong at No.1.
2. Central (3-1) vs. 15. Homestead (3-1), 7, Sat., Traz.
Andre’s pick: Central 35, Homestead 16. Rockets begin their march to district title.
3. University (5-0) at North Broward Prep (0-4), 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: University 56, North Broward Prep 3. Not that it was in doubt, but Suns get closer to playoff berth.
4. Miramar (5-0) vs. McArthur (1-3), 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Miramar 52, McArthur 3. Another blowout victory for the Patriots, and a chance to put up big statistics.
5. St. Thomas Aquinas (3-1) at South Broward (0-4), 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: St. Thomas Aquinas 49, South Broward 7. Much like last week, the Raiders should get a chance to play plenty of players in this one.
6. Deerfield Beach (4-0) vs. Taravella (2-2), 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Deerfield Beach 32, Taravella 14. Bucks earn some separation at the top of the District 11-8A standings.
7. American Heritage (4-1) vs. 8. Jackson (3-1), 7:30, Fri., Curtis.
Andre’s pick: Jackson 16, American Heritage 14. Generals deny Patriots a chance at revenge.
9. South Dade (5-0) vs. Southridge (1-3), 7:30, Fri., Harris.
Andre’s pick: South Dade 24, Southridge 6. Southridge can play defense, but Bucs offense is hard to contain for long.
10. Cardinal Gibbons (5-0) vs. Key West (0-4), 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Cardinal Gibbons 38, Key West 3. Look for another big week for Gibbons as it picks up a district win.
11. Hallandale (5-0) vs. Archbishop McCarthy (0-4), 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Hallandale 58, Archbishop McCarthy 7. Chargers will definitely get back to scoring more than 50 points this week.
12. Flanagan (5-0) vs. Everglades (3-2), 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Flanagan 31, Everglades 13. Rivalry game goes to the much-improved Falcons, who are eyeing the postseason.
13. Plantation (3-1) vs. Hollywood Hills (2-2), 7, Fri., McArthur.
Andre’s pick: Plantation 28, Hollywood Hills 6. A week off shouldn’t have the Colonels too rusty.
14. Carol City (3-2): Bye.
16. Coral Gables (4-0) vs. South Miami (3-1), 7, Thu., Tropical.
Andre’s pick: Coral Gables 35, South Miami 13. Rolling Cavaliers pick up a district victory.
17. Gulliver (5-0) vs. Edison (1-3), 7, Sat., Curtis.
Andre’s pick: Gulliver 37, Edison 12. The Raiders take care of business and put up another big offensive output.
18. Southwest (4-0) vs. Sunset (1-3), 4, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Southwest 42, Sunset 7. Eagles secure another district victory as they get closer to the crown.
19. Hialeah (3-1) vs. Hialeah Gardens (0-4), 7:30, Fri., Milander.
Andre’s pick: Hialeah 55, Hialeah Gardens 3. Coming off a bye week, the T-Breds will have the chance to give starters more rest.
20. North Miami (4-0) vs. North Miami Beach (2-3), 7:30, Fri., N. Miami.
Andre’s pick: NMB 26, North Miami 21. Chargers’ firepower on offense will help them prevail.
Oops, you haven't selected any newsletters. Please check the box next to one or more of our email newsletters and submit again.
Oops, you didn't provide a valid email address. Please double-check the email field and submit again.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.