Coconut Creek girls’ basketball team has signing celebration
04/17/2014 12:01 AM
09/08/2014 7:14 PM
A prolific Coconut Creek girls’ basketball season paid off with five seniors signing letters-of-intent before parents, coaches, the football team and school officials in the school auditorium on Wednesday.
“We can win as many games as we want, every district title there is, but for me to help get these young ladies to an university, I’m at loss for words,” said Cougars coach Max Ruback. “For an orange ball to allow that to happen is an amazing thing.”
Delise Williams (Florida Institute of Technology), Tanease Richardson (Savannah State University), Alicia Mardis (University of Northwestern, Ohio), Kareese Johnson (University of the Cumberlands, KY) and Brooke Stoddard (Stevens Institute of Technology) elevated their stock with Creek (23-4) holding the No. 1 spot in Class 5A for most of the season.
“This means a lot to me,’’ said Williams, who said she holds a 4.25 weighted GPA and will major in Computer Science. “My parents spent so much money raising me, trying to get a good education for me. So I’m kind of giving back to them now, going to college for free. Using my talent. So I’m very happy I don’t have to put that financial stress on them.”
That core group helped the Cougars (23-4) win the District 16-5A title before ultimately losing 48-46 to Dillard in the Regional semifinals.
Elsewhere• Sagemont 6-4 star guard Prince Ali was named to the CBS MaxPreps Boys’ Basketball Junior All-American third team. The high-flying UConn commit averaged 18 points in leading the Lions (33-0) to the Class 3A state title and the first undefeated season in Broward basketball history.
• Boyd Anderson’s Natora Landers, a two-time All-Broward point guard, has signed with Florida Memorial University. Landers averaged 12.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and three steals this past season.
West Broward earned its first district title in program history by defeating Cypress Bay 11-10.
Juliette Cusano led the Bobcats with seven goals, 14 draw controls and eight ground balls. Arielle Jonas had two goals, Natassija Ragbeer had nine ground balls and three draw controls. Kirsten Valdivia had a goal.
• District 31 Championship—West Broward 11, Cypress Bay 10: Juliette Cusano 7 goals, 14 draw controls, 8 ground balls. Arielle Jonas 2 goals. Natassija Ragbeer 9 ground balls, 3 draw controls. Kirsten Valdivia goal.
• District 14-7A Semifinals—Monarch 13, Northeast 1:
NE 0 0 0 1 0 — 1 3 1
MON 3 1 4 5 — 12 11 1
WP: Brooke Hale (10-2). Top Performers: Stefany Collins 2 hits. Victoria Alonzo 2 hits. Ashley Rohloff 2 hits. MON 19-4.
• Flanagan 9, Park Vista 1:
FLA 0 2 1 0 6 0 X —9 12 0
PV: 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 — 1 5 2
WP: Rodriguez. LP: Calamita. Top Performers: O. Rodriguez 3-2, 2 runs. M. Vientos 3-2, RBI, 2 runs. L. Barranco 3-2, run, 2 RBI. E. Rivera 2-2, RBI. D. Sarmiento 4-2, RBI.
• South Broward d. Western (25-16, 25-19, 25-27, 25-23): Chris Tracey 14 kills, 3 blocks. Billy Nelfraud 13 kills, 18 points, ace. Adam Roberti 43 assists, 6 kills. SB 13-6.
• Late Tuesday—Monarch d. West Boca (25-12, 25-20, 25-14): Tyler Johnson 11 kills, 3 blocks, 7 digs, 4 points, 4 aces. Sean Drexl 27 assists, 15 points, 5 aces, 8 digs, 3 kills, 2 blocks. MON 13-6.
GIRLS’ WATER POLO
• District 9—Westminster Academy 11, Deerfield Beach 1: Naomi Sanders 5 goals.
• District 9—Douglas 16, Northeast 8: Brianne Kimmet 8 goals.
BOYS’ WATER POLO
• • District 9—Westminster Academy 18, Deerfield Beach 5: Jason Woodburn 12 goals.
• District 9—Douglas 20, Coral Springs 14: Frank Guzman 9 goals.
• Late Tuesday—District 12 semifinal— Cooper City 17, Flanagan 9: Danny Rafael 6 goals. Aiden Goldberg 4 goals. CC 13-4.
District 11-8A final at Coral Springs: 7
District 12-8A final at Cypress Bay: 6
District 15-7A final at St. Thomas Aquinas: 7
District 14-6A final at Silver Lakes Park South: 7
District 16-5A final at Archbishop McCarthy: 7
District 14-4A final at Pine Crest: 7
District 14-3A final at Highlands Christian: Coral Springs Christian-Highlands Christian winner vs. Westminster Academy, 7
District 13-2A final at Zion Lutheran: 3:30
District 14-2A final at Sheridan Hills Christian: 4
State championships in Altamonte Springs and Casselberry
TRACK AND FIELD
Region 4-1A at Dade Christian: 1
District 12-4A at Coral Springs: 3:30
District 14-4A at Flanagan –Running events: 10 a.m.
BOYS’ WATER POLO
District 9 final at Northeast: 7
District 10 at Fort Lauderdale – Semifinals: St. Thomas Aquinas vs. Plantation, 1; Cardinal Gibbons vs. Fort Lauderdale, 3; Final: 7.
District 11 final at Nova: 6:30
GIRLS’ WATER POLO
District 9 final at Northeast: 5:30
District 10 at Fort Lauderdale - Semifinal: St. Thomas Aquinas vs. Cardinal Gibbons, 2; Final: Fort Lauderdale vs. Aquinas-Gibbons winner, 6.
District 11 final at Nova: 5
District 24 final at Calvary Christian: 7
District 29 final at University School: 7:30
District 30 final at Pines Charter: 7:30
District 29 final at Pine Crest: 7
District 30 final at Western: 7
Oops, you haven't selected any newsletters. Please check the box next to one or more of our email newsletters and submit again.
Oops, you didn't provide a valid email address. Please double-check the email field and submit again.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.