Ray Gould steps down as Coral Springs football coach after 13 years
03/06/2014 12:01 AM
03/06/2014 7:09 PM
Ray Gould has decided to step down as football coach at Coral Springs and relocate to South Carolina.
Rashad West will replace Gould and take over starting this spring.
Gould, a 1993 graduate of Coral Springs, was named coach 13 years ago after Bill Brown retired.
Gould will become the coach of Travelers Rest (S.C.) High School.
“I was simply looking for a better way of life for my wife and I, and I did a lot of research and South Carolina was a great fit,” Gould said.
West was formerly at Fairleigh Dickinson University, Western High School for four years and Weber College for two years.
“We will miss Ray after so many years of him here, this is his home,” Coral Springs athletic director Diane Sanzari said.
Those around the program are excited to work with West, who said the team will “hit the ground running” this season.
“We went through a long interview process and had a few qualified candidates but he was the best fit,” Sanzari said.
The students will miss Gould, but they are grateful for his wisdom and dedication. He leaves one final piece of advice for his former team: “Never give up on your dreams, when opportunity knocks open the door,” he said.
• Chaminade Madonna 12, Monsingnor Pace 1:
CM 3 6 1 2 — 12 8 1
MP 0 0 0 0 1 — 1 3 5
WP: Patalano (2-1) 5 IP, 4 K's. LP: Dominguez. Top Performers: CM: Dana DeFalco 1-2, 2BB, HP, 2 RBI, 3 runs scored. Jackie Yao 2- 3, 3 runs scored, 2BB, 4 SB. MP: Dominguez 1-2. CM 9-1.
BOYS’ WATER POLO
• Suncoast 20, Westminster Academy 14: Caleb Cheng 7 goals. David Bucko 4 goals. Jason Woodburn 9 goals. WA 4-3.
GIRLS’ WATER POLO
• Westminster Academy 17, Suncoast 5: Victoria Bevill 7 goals. Koral LaStella 6 goals. Lauren Ballard 2 goals. WA 7-0.
• Late Tuesday—American Heritage 12, South Plantation 11: Erika Mazer 5 goals. Ashleigh Skolnick 15 saves. Paola Ortega game-winning goal. AH 3-1.
• Western 16, West Broward 9: Arielle Jonas 2 goals, 2 assists. Juliette Cusano 2 goals, 2 assists. Rachel Tabasky 2 goals. Katrina Ragbeer goal, assist. WB 2-4.
• Western 14, West Broward 5: Robert Rodriguez 4 goals. Josh Cimerberg 4 goals. Brady Kennerson 12 saves.
• North Broward Prep 4, Coral Springs Charter 3:Singles: Dean 8-0. Gomez 8-1. Castellanos (CS) 8-2. Kallor 9-8. G. Bloshinsky (CS) 8-2. Doubles: Gomez/Kallor 6-3. S. Bloshinsky/G. Bloshinsky (CS) 6-2.
• North Broward Prep 6, Coral Springs Charter 1: Singles: McHarg 8-1. Fersonova 8-4. Neira 8-0. Petregnani 8-0. Arai 8-0. Doubles: Neira/Petregnani 9-7.
Boyd Anderson vs. Coconut Creek, 6:30
Cardinal Gibbons vs. Dillard, 3:45
Coral Springs vs. Douglas, 6:30
Northeast vs. Everglades, 3:45
Piper vs. Hallandale, 3:45
South Plantation vs. Pines Charter, 6:30
Hollywood Chr. vs. Redland Chr. 4:00
Blanche Ely vs. Northeast, 4:00
Boyd Anderson vs. Monarch, 4:00
Everglades vs. Cardinal Gibbons, 4:00
Flanagan vs. Coconut Creek, 4:00
Coral Springs vs. Hollywood Hills, 6:30
Cypress Bay vs. American Heritage, 6:30
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.