Sagemont, Kelsey Marshall prove too much for Palmer Trinity girls’ basketball team
11/27/2013 12:00 AM
11/27/2013 1:14 AM
Freshman Kelsey Marshall powered the Sagemont girls’ basketball team past a previously undefeated Palmer Trinity 58-56 on Tuesday.
Marshall, the younger sister of former Flanagan High School prep star Khyle Marshall, scored 25 points while shooting 7 of 12 from three-point range.
The younger Marshall already stands at 5-foot-9 and has been playing varsity basketball at Sagemont since she was a sixth-grader.
Erica Correa scored 15 points while recording five steals. Sinora Cole scored four points, but made a greater impact on the boards as she grabbed 10 rebounds during the game.
The win against Palmer Trinity (5-1) instilled much confidence in the Lions (3-2) because both squads are in the same class and could potentially meet in the playoffs.
Also, the Lions managed to beat a formerly undefeated opponent after dropping two-consecutive games.
• Sagemont 58, Palmer Trinity 56: SAG (3-2): Provenzano 4, Black 5, Rucker 2, Smith 3, Marshall 25, Correa 15, Cole 4. PT (5-1): Gonzalez 2, Iglesias 2, James 13, Biamante 4, Hedd 16, Pino 6, Waldman 13. Rebounds: Cole 10. Steals: Correa 5. Assists: Black 5, Smith 3, Rucker 3. Three-pointers: Smith 1, Marshall 7, Pino 2.• Zion Lutheran 68, Coral Springs Christian 15: ZL (7-0): B. Battle 15, K. Battle 21, T. Battle 14, Lett 12, Pinto 2, Wright 2, Rivera 2, Redecker 2. CSC: Delfino 1, Hubert 2, Canareri 2, Edwards 6, Campbell 4. Rebounds: Lett 8. Steals: K. Battle 6. Assists: B. Battle 5. Three-pointers: B. Battle 2, K. Battle 2, T. Battle 2.
Senior Richard Lee scored 24 points as Northeast squeaked by South Plantation. 60.
Trevoughn Small and Brion Sanchious each scored 10 points for the Hurricanes.
• Northeast 64, South Plantation 60: NE: Mendez 6, Lee 24, Taylor 6, Sanchious 10, Small 10, Johnson 4, Edmond 2, Gillion 2. SP: Simmon 4, Smellie 12, Green 13, Williams 2, Fertil 3, Dominique 6, Spells 1, Desir 12, Hanson 7. Three-pointers: Smellie 4, Green 1, Fertil 1, Lee 3. Rebounds: Desir 9. Assists: Green 5.• Dillard 56, Archbishop McCarthy 41: DIL: Grace 20, Dixon 3, Pendergraph 2 , Smith M. 2, Farrington 9, Wright 12, Maloney 6, Smith T. 2. AMC: Moya 10, Talbot 2, Richard 8, McBride 5 , Scott 1, Diaz 11. Three-pointers: Grace 4, Dixon 1, Moya 2, Richard 1, McBride 1, Diaz 1. Rebounds: Wright 11, Farrington 9. Steals: Pendergraph 3. Assists: Pendergraph 4.
• Pembroke Pines Charter 60, Boyd Anderson 50: PPC: Cheatam 24, Harper 19, Denbow 8, Weeks 2, Johnson 3, Buckley 2. BA: Simeon 10, Duffus 15, Wilson 7, Eubanks 6, Romaine 6, Thompson 3, Pierre 3. Rebounds: Simeon 8, Eubanks 8. Three-pointers: Simeon 1, Duffus 1, Thompson 1, Pierre 1, Wilson 1, Harper 1, Denbow 1.
Seven different St. Thomas Aquinas players scored en route to an 8-0 win over South Broward.
Bella Dorosy led the way for the Raiders with two goals. Maggie Falter, Sydney Talbot, Ariana Fontenot, Francesca Larrain, Jordan Edouard and Rachel Bogue all added goals for St. Thomas.
In goal, Britanny Macalusso and Abby Pangallo combined for the shutout.
With the win, the Raiders improve to 6-0-2 and return to the field Monday when they face off against Nova at 5 p.m.
• St. Thomas Aquinas 8, South Broward 0: Bella Dorosy 2 goals. Maggie Falter goal. Sydney Talbot goal. Ariana Fontenot goal. Francesca Larrain goal. Jordan Edouard goal. Rachel Bogue goal. Brittany Macalusso and Abby Pangallo combined shutout. STA 6-0-2.
American Heritage improved to 13-0 on its season after a 7-0 win over Pine Crest.
Melanie Monteagudo scored a goal and dished out three assists for the Patriots. Michela Kopecki, Dera Magdeleno and Belle De Almagro each scored goals in the win while Dejah Cason added a goal and an assist.
The Patriots will next face Coconut Creek on Monday at 5 p.m.
• American Heritage 7, Pine Crest 0: Melanie Monteagudo goal, 3 assists. Michela Kopecki goal. Dejah Cason goal, assist. Dera Magdaleno goal. Bella De Almagro goal. Julia Jasse goal. Ashley Coeta goal. AH 13-0.
Mya Goodman scored three goals as Pembroke Pines Charter cruised past Piper 9-0.
Houda Baajoar scored two goals for the Jaguars (7-3-1) while Emely Sosa added two goals of her own.
• Pembroke Pines Charter 9, Piper 0: Mya Goodman 3 goals. Houda Baajoar 2 goals. Emely Sosa 2 goals. PPC 7-3-1.• Cardinal Gibbons 1, Archbishop McCarthy 1: For CG: Kelsey Stafford goal. Francesca DeNicola assist. For AMC: Taylor Shore goal. AMC 11-1-1. CG 5-3-2.
BOYS’ SOCCER• American Heritage 1, Doral Academy 1: Samuel Vincent scored a goal off a Job Robbie pass and tied the game for American Heritage against Doral Academy 1-1.
The Patriots are now 5-0-2.
St. Thomas Aquinas at Dwyer, 7:30
Miramar vs. Palm Beach Gardens (Palm Beach Gardens), 7:30
Hardee (Wauchula) vs. American Heritage (American Heritage), 7:30
West Broward vs. North Miami (NM Stadium), 3:30
West Broward vs. North Miami (NM Stadium), 3:30
Fort Lauderdale vs. North Miami Beach (Mishcon Park), 4
Northeast at American, 4
Hialeah Gardens vs. Miramar (Miramar), 5
Krop vs. Flanagan (Flanagan), 5
Oops, you haven't selected any newsletters. Please check the box next to one or more of our email newsletters and submit again.
Oops, you didn't provide a valid email address. Please double-check the email field and submit again.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.