Deleva seeks redemption at Spanish River Invitational race
09/21/2013 12:01 AM
09/21/2013 1:55 AM
After missing out on the TKA Lions Invitational title and possibly flrunners.com’s Runner of the Week honors by three-tenths of a second two weeks ago, Coral Glades’ Anthony Deleva will be in attack mode Saturday at the Spanish River Invitational.
Deleva, the 2012 Broward Boys’ Cross Country Runner of the Year, waited too late to make his move against John I. Leonard’s Ilio Sanchez and finished three-tenths of a second (16:58.94) behind Sanchez (16:58.62).
“It was 200 meters to go, and I kicked too late,” Deleva said. “I kind of messed up on it.
“I have to go out fast or I will run a slow race.”
Deleva, who finished eighth a year ago, cannot afford any such lapses at South County Park on Saturday against a five-star field that includes Coral Reef’s Curt Convey, the defending champion, Belen’s Fabian Tomas and Miami Sunset’s formidable one-two punch of Nick Diaz and Kenneth Castro.
“Anthony feels like he is ready for those guys,” Coral Glades coach Pedro Gonzalez said.
“The pace will be fast in the beginning of the race. Anthony likes to run hard. He won’t back down. The goal is to stay with those guys and see what happens at the end.”
The Cypress Bay girls’ volleyball team defeated the Cooper City Cowboys 25-23, 25-9, 25-19 on Friday afternoon.
Becca Lopez led the Lightning with 29 assists and seven aces, and teammate Jordan Krone kicked in with 14 kills and four aces.
The Lightning, which improved to 9-2, will take on the Douglas Eagles on Tuesday at 4.
• McCarthy d. American Heritage 25-10,25-9,25-18: Katie McInnis 15 points 7aces, 15 kills, 20 assists. MC 7-5.
• Cypress Bay d. Cooper City 25-23 25-9 25-19: Becca Lopez 29 assists, 7 aces. Jordan Krone 14 kills, 4 aces. CB 9-2.
• Western d. Piper 25-7 25-8 25-9: Amanda Medlock 19 kills, 5 aces, 7 digs. Melissa Taylor 30 assists, 7 aces, 1 kill, 6 digs. WES 7-1 5-0(Districts)
• Sagemont 58, Zion Lutheran 24: 200 Medley: Allison Hewitt, Allison Plumadore, Nilza Costa, Andrea Vandenberg (SAG) 2:17:71. 200 IM: Julia Torres (SAG) 3:26:97. 100 Fly: Nilza Costa (SAG) 1:07:69. 100 Free: Andrea Vandenberg (SAG) 58:97. 100 breast: Allison Plumadore (SAG) 1:27:41.
The Sagemont boys’ swimming team defeated Zion Lutheran 69-25.
Nicholas Vale led the Lions in the 200 IM in 2:22:10. Matheus Borgas won the 100 fly in 54:12 and the 100 breast in 1:04:46. Luiz Guerrero won the 100 free in 58:09 and helped his team in placing first in the 200 medley in 1:55:72.
Sagemont will compete again Wednesday against the Chaminade-Madonna Lions at 4.
• Sagemont 69, Zion Lutheran 25: 200 Medley: Juan Impossimato, Luis Guerrero, Joy Leome, Carlos Gomez (SAG)1:55:72. 200 IM: Nicholas Vale (SAG) 2:22:10. 100 Fly Matheus Borgas (SAG) 54:12. 100 Free: Luiz Guerrero (SAG) 58:09. 100 Breast: Matheus Borgas (SAG) 1:04:46.
South Broward vs. Hollywood Hills (McArthur), 7:00
University School vs. Archbishop McCarthy (Grand Palms), 1:00
Belen Jesuit vs. Archbishop McCarthy (Grand Palms), 1:00
Stranahan vs. Blanche Ely (Blanche Ely), 4:30
Northeast vs. Coconut Creek (Coconut Creek), 4:30
Coral Glades vs. Coral Springs (Home), 4:30
Taravella vs. Deerfield Beach (Deerfield Beach), 6:00
Flanagan vs. Everglades (Everglades), 4:30
Nova vs. Hollywood Hills (Home), 4:30
West Broward vs. McArthur (McArthur), 4:30
Fort Lauderdale vs. Monarch (Monarch), 4:30
Plantation vs. St. Thomas Aquinas (St. Thomas Aquinas), 6:00
American Heritage vs. University School (Grande Oaks), 2:00
Douglas vs. Cypress Bay (Home), 4:30
American Heritage vs. Dillard (Dillard), 4:30
Blanche Ely vs. Fort Lauderdale (Home), 4:30
Archbishop McCarthy at Hallandale 4:30
Boyd Anderson vs. Northeast (Northeast), 4:30
Boynton Beach at Pembroke Pines Charter, 4:30
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.