1. Central vs. DeMatha (Md.), noon, Saturday, Washington, D.C.
Andre’s pick: Central 24, DeMatha Catholic 17. Rockets are veterans at traveling to play nationally-ranked opponents.
2. St. Thomas Aquinas vs. 7. Booker T. Washington, 8, Friday.
Andre’s pick: St. Thomas Aquinas 24, Booker T. Washington 10. Aquinas’ experience and depth will make the difference in this highly-anticipated matchup.
Never miss a local story.
3. American Heritage vs. Stephenson (Ga.) (2-0), 8:30, Sat., Atlanta.
Andre’s pick: American Heritage 28, Stephenson 20. Following a tough win over IMG, the Patriots look to beat one of Georgia’s best on the road.
4. Flanagan vs. Douglas, 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Flanagan 31, Douglas 7. We might see this matchup again in the first round of the playoffs. The Falcons should win this one to start the season strong.
5. Columbus vs. 11. Jackson, 7 p.m., Wednesday, Tropical.
Andre’s pick: Columbus 21, Jackson 17. The area’s first regular season game should be one of the best of the whole week.
6. Hallandale vs. Cedar Grove (Ga.) (1-0), 2:30, Sat., Atlanta.
Andre’s pick: Hallandale 35, Cedar Grove 14. The Chargers can show fans from two states why they are in contention for the Class 5A state title.
8. Dillard vs. Stranahan, 7, Friday, South Plantation.
Andre’s pick: Dillard 30, Stranahan 7. Panthers didn’t get any points against Aquinas last week. That changes fast this week.
9. Miramar at Bradenton IMG Academy, 2, Sunday.
Andre’s pick: IMG Academy 20, Miramar 14. Miramar will try to become the second group of Patriots to beat this nationally-ranked squad.
10. South Dade vs. Coral Reef, 7, Thursday, Harris.
Andre’s pick: South Dade 24, Coral Reef 7. Bucs start strong in what could be a potential playoff preview in November.
12. Norland at Jacksonville Ribault, 7, Saturday.
Andre’s pick: Norland 24, Ribault 7. Norland’s defense will be one of the county’s best. If its offense can become a steady complement, their opponents are in trouble.
13. Carol City vs. 19. Coral Gables, 7, Thursday, Traz.
Andre’s pick: Carol City 28, Coral Gables 21. Good early-season clash between two potential playoff teams.
14. Coconut Creek vs. Marist (Ga.) (1-0), 11:45 a.m., Sat., Atlanta.
Andre’s pick: Coconut Creek 30, Marist 13. Creek’s All-Americans lead the way to a victory to give Broward County a strong start at the Battle of the Borders Classic.
15. Deerfield Beach vs. Cypress Bay, 7, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Deerfield Beach 28, Cypress Bay 10. Bucks start the regular season with a solid victory.
16. Northwestern vs. 20. American, 7:30, Fri., Traz.
Andre’s pick: Northwestern 14, American 7. A defensive struggle goes to the Bulls, who appear to have a little more on offense.
17. Southridge vs. Edison, 7:30, Friday.
Andre’s pick: Southridge 34, Edison 12. Here’s a chance for the Spartans to start showing how much better they can be this season.
18. Plantation vs. Cardinal Gibbons, 7, Friday, PAL.
Andre’s pick: Plantation 38, Cardinal Gibbons 7. Colonels open their first season in Class 8A on a high note.