The Stoneman Douglas softball team opened what it hopes will be another run to the state finals in Vero Beach on Wednesday afternoon with a 13-1 rout of Flanagan in a Region 3-9A quarterfinal in Parkland.
The Eagles (22-6), which lost in the state semifinals two years ago, took an 8-0 lead by the end of the second inning and were never threatened in a game called in the fifth inning.
Douglas will play host to either district foe Monarch or Western in the regional semifinals on Tuesday.
Flanagan ends its season 11-6.
Never miss a local story.
“If we jumped on them early, with our pitching, we would get through,” Douglas coach Brian Staubly said.
“You don’t take anything for granted at this time of year. You want to be playing your best, and we’re hitting the ball well and getting good pitching.”
Douglas took a 2-0 lead in the first inning on an RBI single from Alina Varga and a sacrifice fly from Samantha Kelly.
The Eagles blew things open in the second by scoring six runs fueled by a bases-loaded clearing double from Jaclyn McKenna, which made it 6-0 with one out in the inning.
Douglas tagged on four more in the third — three runs coming on three consecutive doubles from McKenna, Varga and Hannah Bonta.
Although Flanagan put up a run in the top of the fourth, junior pitcher Gianna Lovito (18-5) was never in much trouble.
Flanagan was threatening to score in the fifth, but a pair of infield throws to third and a pickoff thrown from McKenna to third ended it.
▪ District 16-9A Semifinal — South Dade 1, Killian 0: WP: Yamil Chavarria (5-2), 6.0 IP, 2K. LP: Roger Ceballos. SV: Luis Urquiaga 1.0. SD (12-11): Willy Escala 1-3, 2B. Lenox Verdecia GW R. KIL 17-7-1.
▪ District 8-4A Semifinals — Palmer Trinity 1, Florida Christian 0: WP: Owen Almeida 7 IP, 2 H, 6 K’s. Grant Formen 2-3, RBI. RJ Ibanez 2-4. Owen Ameida 1-2, R.
▪ District 15-9A Semifinals — Braddock 5, Ferguson 4: WP: Miguel Rivera 1-3, R, BB, 1 IP (W), BB, K. Hianny Olivares 3-4, walk off RBI.
▪ District 16-1A Final — Booker T. Washington 21, Jackson 0.
▪ District 11-2A Final — Coral Glades 21, Blanche Ely 0.
▪ District 11-2A Semifinals — Coral Glades 24, Monarch 0.
▪ District 11-2A Semifinals — Blanche Ely 14, Taravella 0.
▪ State Play-In — Boca d. Monarch (25-14, 25-22, 21-25, 25-20): MON (17-8): Sean Drexl 21 kills, 11 digs, 3 points. Leo Pereira 13 kills, 3 blocks, 6 points. Kyle Robertson 39 assists, 6 points, 9 digs.
Region 4-4A semifinal: Florida Christian at Chaminade-Madonna, 4
Region 4-4A semifinal at Palmetto Bay Park: Westminster Academy vs. Westminster Christian, 7
Region 4-3A semifinal: Archbishop Curley at John Carroll, 4
Region 4-3A semifinal: Highlands Christian at Marathon, 7
Region 4-2A semifinal: Miami Christian at Belle Glade Glades Day, 4
Region 4-2A semifinal: Lake Worth Christian at Colonial Christian, 3:30
District 11-9A final at Douglas: 4
District 12-9A final at Cypress Bay: 7
District 15-9A final at Southwest: 7
District 16-9A final at South Dade: 7
District 15-8A final at Nova: 7
District 16-7A final at Sunset: 3:30
District 15-6A final at Archbishop McCarthy: 7
District 14-5A final at North Broward Prep: 7
District 15-5A final at Monsignor Pace: 7
District 8-4A final at Florida Christian: 7
District 7-3A final at Highlands Christian: 6
District 8-3A final at Archbishop Carroll: 3
District 8-2A final at Florida Memorial University: 3:30
District 14-2A final at Hialeah Gardens: 4
District 16-2A final at Varela: 4
District 14-1A final at Monsignor Pace: 6
District 15-1A final at Traz Powell: 6
TRACK AND FIELD
State championships at IMG Academy in Bradenton
State quarterfinals at Naples Golden Gate: 1, 3, 5 and 7
District 16-5A final at Key West: Gulliver vs. Keys Gate-Key West winner, 7:30
District 7-4A final at Calvary Christian: 4