The Florida High School Athletic Association recently approved a new playoff qualification system for football.
On Tuesday, the state released a tentative look at its new alignment for the next two seasons.
The format for large schools (Classes 8A-5A) will remain a 16-district format per class with Miami-Dade and Broward county teams remaining in the same districts they were in this past season.
The major changes are taking place in Classes 4A-1A where teams will now be placed in four larger regions instead of eight districts.
The new look follows the state’s decision to change to a postseason qualifying system where teams will be awarded specific amounts of points for wins and losses based on strength of schedule.
The point scale will be broken into four categories with teams in the highest category receiving 50 points for a win and 30 points for a loss against opponents that won 80 percent or more of their games.
The second level awards 45 points for wins and 25 points for losses against teams that won 60-79 percent.
The third level awards 40 points for wins and 20 for losses against teams that won 40-59 percent.
And the lowest level awards 35 points for wins and 15 for losses against teams with a 39 percent or less winning percentage.
Three bonus points will also be awarded for playing opponents that made the playoffs during the previous two-year scheduling period.
In the existing format, district champions and runners-up automatically qualified for the playoffs.
For the next two seasons, only district champions in Classes 8A-5A will receive an automatic playoff berth. The next-best four teams regardless of district will be seeded based on the scale of points that rewards points for wins and losses based on opponents’ final records at the end of the regular season. The district champs will also be seeded 1 through 4 based on the same scale.
In Classes 4A-1A, the top four teams in each region will be seeded by this point system and those teams will make the playoffs.
Hialeah-Miami Lakes is the only listed change among South Florida teams in the 8A-5A classes, with the Trojans listed in loaded District 16-6A along with Carol City, Northwestern, Central and Norland.
HML, which moved down to District 8-4A this past season, could petition the FHSAA to move again with all teams being given that opportunity over the next month before the new alignment is finalized.
In the 4A-2A classes is where more notable changes occurred as many of South Florida’s independents will move into those regions with teams already playing in those classification’s districts.
But those schools starting next season can make their own schedules and are not obligated to play the other teams in their region. Teams do, however, need to play a minimum of eight games to be considered a playoff qualifier.
Here’s a look at how the new small school regions would look:
Region 4-4A: Booker T. Washington, Clewiston, Glades Central, Edison, Pace, Keys Gate, Somerset, NSU University School, Gulliver, Pine Crest, Coral Springs Charter, North Broward Prep, La Salle, Key West.
Region 4-3A: American Heritage-Delray, Boca St. John Paul II, Chaminade-Madonna, Westminster Christian, Everglades Prep, Somerset Charter, Pinecrest Prep, Westminster Academy, Marathon, Calvary Christian, Palmer Trinity.
Region 4-2A: Champagnat Catholic, Community School of Naples, Naples First Baptist, Marco Island Academy, Moore Haven, Palm Beach Benjamin, WPB St. John Neumann, Dade Christian, Belle Glade Glades Day, International School of Broward, Delray Village Academy.
Independents: Archbishop McCarthy, Coral Glades, Coral Shores, Florida Christian, Miami Country Day, Palm Glades Prep, Pembroke Pines Charter, Ransom Everglades, Scheck Hillel.
▪ Ferguson 2, South Dade 1: Sophia Samardjich 2 goals. Nicole Bovo goal. Savannah 4 saves.
▪ Coral Reef 8, Varela 0: Tianna Rivera 4 goals. Ashley Alfaro 2 goals.Montana Ligman shutout. CR 8-0-0
▪ Westminster Christian 12, Everglades Prep 0: Saskia Hernandez 3 goals, 2 assists. Caitlin Teasdale 2 goals. Priscilla Hernandez 3 assists. Nicole Alamo 2 assissts. Alyssa Kreps shutout.
▪ Miami Springs 9, Jackson 0: Gabrielle Cimino 4 goals, assist. Jasmine Romay 2 goals, 3 assists. Sophia Gomez 2 goals. Elizabeth Vizcaino goal, assist. MS 10-1.
▪ Palmetto 9, Southridge 1: Emily Lamas 3 goals. Sophia Bainger 2 goals.
▪ LaSalle 9, Pace 1: Karina Santin 2 goals. Stephanie Cuan: 2 goals, 2 assists. Jessica Saavedra 3 goals. LS 8-0-1.
▪ Cardinal Gibbons 5, Pope John Paul 0: Kaitlyn Pawelczyk 2 goals. CG 8-1-1.
▪ Pine Crest 4, University School 1: PC (9-3): Natalie Klar 2 goals. Eva Spyredes goal, assist. US (6-4): Sydney Bonchick goal.
▪ Archbishop McCarthy 2, Gulliver 1: AM (8-0-3): Adrianna Cabeza goal. Emily Welch goal. Lauren McDonald assist. Sofia Mallardi assist. GUL (5-1-1): Brianna Austin goal.
▪ Westminster Christian 9, Pinecrest Prep 0: Sophia Vilar 3 goals. Madison Bracci 2 goals. Alyssa Kreps shutout.
▪ American Heritage Plantation 6, Hallandale 0: Shanyder Borgelin 2 goals. Benjamin Grossi 3 assists. Jonathan Gomes shutout. AHP 6-0-1.
▪ St. Brendan 4, Pinecrest Prep 1: Jorge Mahmoud 2 goals. Sebastian Touza goal, assist. Carlos Martinez goal. Nick Armstrong 2 assists. SB 3-3-1.
▪ University School 6, Calvary Christian 0: Cory Adika 2 goals, 2 assists. Ricky Kiblisky shutout. US 5-0-1.
▪ Gulliver 1, Keys Gate 1: Sebastian Paz goal. Santiago Burgos assist. GUL 4-0-1.
▪ La Salle 6, Pace 2: Weisson 2 goals. Linton 3 assists. LS 5-1-1.
▪ Miami Beach 2, Columbus 0: Tommy Iglesias goal, assist. Dennis Ortega goal. Leonardo Acosta assist. Gabriel Suarez shutout. MB 7-0.
▪ Douglas 2, Monarch 1: DOU (5-0-0): Felipe Mendes goal. Lucca Carvalho goal. MON (5-2-0): Kevian Ferraz goal.
▪ TERRA 4, Westland 2: Sebastian Ayllon 3 goals, assist. Stephen Chang goal. Giovanni Leon assist. Esteban Leon 3 saves. Shane Pineda 2 saves.
▪ Westminster Christian 59, Carrollton 41: CAR: Nina Paneque 14, Caro Shriver 11, Tanya Eathakotti 6, Alexa McWhorter 3, Sabrina Mas 5, Haley McCarthy-Ley 2. WC (3-0): Sophia Poveda 31, Destiny Coakley 22, Savannah Searels 4, Lamarie Morrison 1, Caroline Boulris 1. Rebounds: Searels 4. Three-pointers: Paneque 2. Assists: Coakley 4. Blocks: Poveda 2. HT: 23-13 WC.
▪ Riviera Preparatory 39, Archbishop Coleman Carroll 11: RP (3-3):Carmenates 4 , Demoya 6, Arvelo 3, Vasconcello 10 , Gottenger 8, Santoro 2, Portes 2, Bernal 4. ACC: Orderez 2, Kozak 9.
▪ St. Brendan 54, Sunset 16: SB (4-1): Nanette Bonet 11 points, 5 rebounds. Victoria Lara 10 points, 5 rebounds. Karla Roman 8 rebounds, 6 points.
▪ Pace 62, La Salle 24: LS: Perez 1, Benavides 15, Xiques 3, Hernandez 3, Triay 2. MP: Whitfield 11, Troup-Bishop 17, Pratt 22, Domond 7, Cumbermack 4. HT: 13-35 MP. Rebounds: Domond 18. Assists: Pratt 3. Steals: Pratt 9.
▪ Pine Crest 66, King Academy 30: Valeria De Las Casas 30 points, 14 rebounds. Maria Ballesteros 23 points. Alli Silitsky 10 rebounds. Kings Gant 15 points.
▪ Lourdes 57 vs Southridge 14: LOU (5-2): Sanchez 13, Vazquez 13, Codispoti 8, Lopez 8. Rebounds: Sanchez 6, Paniagua 4, Vazquez 3.
▪ Killian 47, Braddock 38: KIL: Cannon 30, Major 5, Garcia 4, Kendrick 4, Bell 2, Gillard 2. HT: 20-20. BRA: Lopez 12, McIntyre 7, Hernandez 5, Alaniz 5, Artola 5, Billingsley 2, Sautibanez 2.Rebounds: Major 14, Cannon 11, Kendrick 13, Gillard 13, Bell 8, Garcia 4. Steals: Cannon 6, Kendrick 3.
▪ Mater 55, Westland 19: MA (5-1): Jimenez 20, Alicandu 8, Anduja 7, Alexander 7, Osorio 5, Ramirez 4, Salcedo 2, Vinales 1, Morales 1. WH: Star 1, Jabria 2, Yesenia 2, Rachel 4, Roxanna 10. HT: MA 27-13. Assists: Alicandu 4. Rebounds: Anduja 7, Osorio 7. Steals: Alicandu 7. Blocks: Osorio 5. 3-pointers: Alexander, Alicandu 2, Jimenez 3.
▪ Hebrew Academy 63, Greater Miami Academy 33: HA (2-0): Esformes 17, Tal 27, Schiff 7, Kahn 4, A. Stein 2, J. Stein 4, Sultan 2. Rebound: Apoj 9. Assist: Tal 10. HT: 38-11 HA. Three-pointers: Esformes 4.
▪ Miramar 71, Somerset Academy 25: SAC: Jones 2, Lendhart 4, Samms 7, Redding 7, Taylor 1, Teate 4. MIR (3-0): Cesar 2, Goring 2, Pierre 5, Mills 6, Rolle 17, Tyrell 5, Miller 11, Bryan Davis 2, Alcide 2, Spence 3, Moore 13, Hercule 2, John 2. Rebounds: Hercule 5. Assists: Cesar 6. Three-pointers: Moore 3. HT: 52-16 MIR.
▪ Westwood Christian 64, Grace Academy 20: WWC (2-0) Amepete 15, Molina 14, Shorter 16, Bigo 10, Mejias 10. Rebounds: Ametepe 10. Steals: Molina 5. Blocks: Ametepe 3. Assists: Bigo 5. 3-pointers: Molina 4, Farradas 2, Mejias 2, Espinosa 3.
▪ BTW 84, La Salle 51: BTW: Andrew Cler 37, Jacaree Eason 18, Lamont Garette 8, Chris Noel 9, Sam Elissaint 2, Freddy Leverett 1, Willy Spencer 4, Trey Reid 5. LS: N. Goff 2, U. Salbaza 3, O. Gaetan 14, M. Bustamante 2, D. Bernabeu 4, B. Szlaien 4, J. Pita 16, J. Fortuny 6. Assists: Jacaree Eason 9. Rebounds: Jacaree Eason 9. Three-pointers: Andrew Cler 9.
Last week’s best Miami-Dade performances
TEAM OF THE WEEK
Champagnat Catholic’s football team advanced to the Class 2A state finals for the second time in four seasons with a 14-3 win over St. Pete Northside Christian. The Lions forced four turnovers and quarterback Kervin Dessources threw two touchdown passes.
ATHLETES OF THE WEEK
Cameron Davis, Carol City, football: Davis ran for 156 yards and three touchdowns on nine carries to lead the Chiefs to a 33-7 rout of previously unbeaten Daytona Beach Mainland in the Region 4-6A final.
Gerard Lipscomb, South Dade, boys’ basketball: Lipscomb had 29 points to help the Bucs secure a 69-65 district win over Coral Reef.
Mikayla Thomas, Gulliver, girls’ basketball: Thomas had a combined 67 points in wins over Norland, Coral Reef and West Boca Raton.
Juan Pereira, Belen, boys’ soccer: Pereira had four goals and an assist in wins over Central and Miami Springs.
Cristina Lopez, Mater Academy, girls’ soccer: Lopez had five goals and an assist in wins over Goleman and Sunset.
Andre C. Fernandez
Last week’s best Broward performances
TEAM OF THE WEEK
Behind Shaun Shivers’ five rushing touchdowns and 270 rushing yards, the Chaminade-Madonna football team (10-3) beat previously undefeated Melbourne Central Catholic 42-17 in the Class 3A state semifinals.
ATHLETES OF THE WEEK
Erin Gutierrez, Nova, girls’ basketball: Gutierrez had a team-high 22 points to lead the Titans over Fort Lauderdale 57-41.
Clark Lassalle, Coral Springs Charter, boys’ soccer: Lassalle had three goals to lead the Panthers over Miami Country Day 5-2.
Danny Ferro, Calvary Christian, boys’ cross-country: Ferro ran a 16:08 to win the Foot Locker South Regional junior race.
Nicholas Stampley, Blanche Ely, boys’ basketball: The 6-6 power forward had a team-high 16 points and 12 rebounds to help the Tigers defeat Wellington 63-54 in the Charger Classic.
Jakari Norwood, Deerfield Beach, football: Norwood had a 7-yard rushing touchdown and a 44-yard touchdown reception for the winning score to lead the Bucks (10-2) over Atlantic 28-21 in the Region 3-8A final.
Alexis Hanson and Tatiana Laurenco, West Broward, girls’ soccer: Hanson and Laurenco scored a goal each to lead the Bobcats over Douglas 3-2.
Jake Allen, St. Thomas Aquinas, football: The Florida commit threw three touchdowns and 186 yards to lead the nine-time state champion Raiders (10-2) over Mater Academy 50-10 in the Region 4-7A Final.
Jordan Johnson, American Heritage, football: Johnson rushed for 175 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Patriots (12-0) over Bishop Moore 20-7 in the Region 4-5A final.
William Shine, Archbishop McCarthy, boys’ cross-country: Shine ran a 16:28 to finish third in the Foot Locker South Regional Senior race.
Daton Montiel, Cardinal Gibbons, boys’ soccer: Montiel had two goals to lead the Chiefs over Archbishop McCarthy 3-1.
NEW PLAYOFF QUALIFYING SYSTEM
Beginning with the 2017-18 and 2018-19 football seasons, non-district champions in Classes 8A-5A and all teams in Classes 4A-1A will qualify for the playoffs based on a new point system that rewards points based on strength of schedule.
Here’s a look at the new point scale.
Category 1 - 50 points for wins and 30 points for losses against opponents that won 80 percent or more of their games.
Category 2 - 45 points for wins and 25 points for losses against teams that won 60-79 percent.
Category 3 - 40 points for wins and 20 for losses against teams that won 40-59 percent.
Category 4 - 35 points for wins and 15 for losses against teams that won 39 percent.
NOTE: Scale will be based on teams’ winning percentages in case teams play less than 10 games.