For the sixth time in its 12 years in the conference, the University of Miami women’s tennis team is headed to the ACC Championship final.
The seventh-ranked and second-seeded Hurricanes earned a 4-2 victory over No. 15 and third-seeded Georgia Tech on Saturday in Cary, North Carolina. The win was also the 15th in a row for Miami (19-4), which now has its longest winning streak of the past decade.
UM will play top-seeded North Carolina (28-2 in the the final at 10 p.m. Sunday. UNC beat back fifth-seeded Virginia 4-1 in the other semifinal. The Tar Heels beat the Canes 4-3 in February and have won 18 matches in a row.
▪ FIU 4, Old Dominion 2: The No. 44 Panthers (17-2) defeated the Monarchs (14-8) to earn a berth in the final of this year’s Conference USA women’s championship in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. The Panthers will face No. 45 Rice in the championship match at 11 a.m. Sunday.
Never miss a local story.
▪ FIU 4, FAU 3: Irving Lopez singled home Nick Day to snap a tie score in the bottom of the eighth as the host Panthers (19-21, 7-10 C-USA) edged the No. 17 Owls (27-10, 11-6) for the second consecutive night. FIU won 7-6 Friday to take the first two games of the three-game series against FAU and goes for the sweep Sunday afternoon.
▪ St. Thomas 11-9, Keiser University 8-6: The Bobcats (31-17, 15-7 The Sun Conference) defeated the host Seahawks (31-19, 13-9) in a doubleheader.
▪ Nova Southeastern 10-6, Embry-Riddle 8-0: The No. 13 Sharks (31-13, 14-4 Sunshine State Conference) completed the sweep of the Eagles (28-19).
▪ Barry 8-10, Rollins 5-11: The Buccaneers (22-21, 6-12 SSC) closed out their final weekend home series of the season with a doubleheader split against the Tars (22-20, 7-13).
▪ Lynn 9-6, Nova Southeastern 0-4: The Sharks (12-36, 2-22 SSC) lost a doubleheader against the host Fighting Knights (15-30-1, 4-16-1).
▪ Palm Beach Atlantic 2-1, Barry 0-0: The Buccaneers (22-17) were shut out in a doubleheader sweep by the host Sailfish (34-15).
▪ Thomas 5-6, St. Thomas 4-5: The host Night Hawks (18-19, 6-6 TSC) won two one-run games over the Bobcats (16-21, 5-7) for the sweep.
▪ South Carolina 4, FIU 1: The 10th-ranked Panthers (13-9) had their season end with a loss to the Gamecocks in the quarterfinals of the Coastal Collegiate Sports Association Conference Tournament in Emerson, Georgia.
▪ Rayo OKC 3, Miami FC 2: The coveted first win continues to elude Miami FC. The expansion NASL club again was denied a victory in its fourth match of the season against fellow expansion team Rayo OKC on Friday night.
Defender Michel converted on a penalty kick in the 84th minute as Rayo OKC defeated Miami FC at FIU Stadium. Match referee Rubiel Vazquez called a foul on Miami FC defender Adailton as he battled Rayo OKC forward Billy Forbes for the ball on the edges of the penalty area. Michel beat goalkeeper Daniel Vega with a low shot that landed inside the left post.
Santos A. Perez
▪ Fort Lauderdale Strikers 1, Jacksonville Armada FC 1: Maicon Santos scored in the 74th minute to help the Strikers tie the host Armada in a NASL game.