Zack Collins hit a three-run homer and Danny Garcia earned a shutout as the No. 1 Miami Hurricanes won their seventh series in a row with a 9-0 victory at Duke.
After splitting a pair of games Friday and Saturday, the Hurricanes (29-5, 13-3 Atlantic Coast Conference) won for the 24th time in their last 27 games.
Collins provided Garcia all the offense he needed on a three-run home run in the third inning. The homer was the team-leading eighth of the season for Collins, who reached base for the 29th straight game.
Sophomore Carl Chester opened the scoring with an RBI infield single two at bats before the blast from Collins. Peter Crocitto (double) and Randy Batista (single) also had hits in the inning.
Never miss a local story.
Garcia (6-2) avoided any damage despite allowing eight hits. He escaped a two-on, no-out jam in the bottom of third after Miami had taken the lead, and got Michael Smiciklas on a flyout to center with runners on the corners to end the sixth.
Garcia struck out three batters and walked one to send Miami to its ninth win in its last 10 games against the Blue Devils (20-17, 7-11).
▪ Louisiana Tech 5, FIU 0: Casey Sutton pitched a three-hit shutout to lead the host Bulldogs (20-12, 8-7 Conference USA) over the Panthers (17-21, 5-10).With the win, the Louisiana tech took 2 of 3 from FIU in the weekend series. FIU scored just two runs in the three-game set in Ruston.
▪ FIU 11, UAB 3: The Panthers (23-23, 8-10 C-USA) pounded out 14 hits, including home runs from shortstop A.J. Belans and first baseman Stephanie Texeira to top the host Blazers (19-24, 9-6).
▪ Barry 10-5, Rollins 9-4: The Buccaneers (22-14, 14-7 SSC) pounded 30 hits, including a school-record 21 in the first game, to sweep the host Tars (33-12-1, 13-5).
▪ UM women 7, Louisville 0: The host Hurricanes (17-4, 12-2 ACC) concluded regular-season play with a dominant win over the Cardinals. Seniors Clementina Riobueno and Stephanie Wagner, both of whom have earned ITA All-America honors during their careers, were honored befrore the match. Both posted straight-set singles wins to help seventh-ranked Miami win its 13th match in a row.
▪ Virginia 7, UM men 0: The Hurricanes fell on the road to the Cavaliers.
▪ St. Leo 6, Nova Southeastern women 3: The Sharks (15-2, 6-1 Sunshine State Conference) fell for the second time this season to the Lions (17-1, 7-0 SSC).
▪ Barry men 5, Lynn 4: The host No. 7 Buccaneers (13-5, 5-2 SSC) rallied from a 2-1 doubles deficit to topple the ninth-ranked Knights (14-6, 4-2).
▪ Miami: The UM women’s team concluded finished in eighth place at the ACC Championship with a three-round total of 899. Virginia won the tournament after it carded a three-round score of 855.
▪ SSC tournament: Nova’s men’s and women’s teams finished third and fourth after the first day of the SSC tournament in Key Biscayne. Barry’s women were tied for fifth.