The No. 1 Nova Southeastern University men’s golf team is in second place but trails by only four strokes with 18 holes left to play at the Buccaneer Invitational that ends Tuesday at the Normandy Shores Golf Club.
The Sharks were first round co-leaders and still are tied with that same squad — Eastern Florida State — but now for second place at 289-288 — 577. Lynn shot the best team score of the day, a second-round 281, to forge ahead.
Individually, NSU’s Santiago Gomez was the first round co-leader and is still in that position after 36 holes. He is at 5-under-par 137 after rounds of 67 and 70 and is tied withe EFSC’s Kerry Sweeney.
Host Barry is five strokes off the pace after shooting 290-288 — 578.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Barry University men’s basketball player Yunio Barrueta was named honorable mention All-American by the Division II Bulletin.
It was his second honorable mention All-American selection this season. He was also named College Sports Information Directors of America honorable mention All-American.
Barrueta, a junior forward from Miami, averaged a team-best 18.7 points and 9.7 rebounds per game. Barrueta had 14 double-doubles and scored 20 or more points in 14 games. He had a career-high 31 points at Palm Beach Atlantic and grabbed a career-high 16 rebounds twice, including against Union in the Division II NCAA tournament win.
▪ Nova Southeastern University women’s basketball forward Jasmine Wilkins was named third team All-American by the Division II Bulletin
In her final season, Wilkins of Miami led the 26-7 Sharks in scoring and rebounding and finished third in field-goal percentage. She also recently garnered Honorable Mention All-American status by Daktronics Inc., with both national honors coming after she earned Sunshine State Conference Player of the Year and SSC Defensive Player of the Year awards.
▪ Barry University’s Fabian Groetsch was named the SSC Men’s Tennis Player of the Week. A senior from Nuremberg, Germany, Groetsch beat two ranked singles players and paired with Ahmed Triki for two wins over ranked doubles teams in a week he won seven matches. It is the second time Groetsch won the award this season. He is 8-2 in singles and 13-1 in doubles. … Barry tennis player Ana Pain was named the SSC Player of the Week. Pain won all three singles matches and all three doubles matches last week as the No. 2-ranked Buccaneers went 3-0. Pain is 14-0 in doubles this season.
▪ Nova Southeastern University’s Mailen Domecq Chantry was named the SSC Women’s Golfer of the Week. The Sharks picked up a victory last week at the Otter Invitational, hosted by Cal State-Monterey Bay in Seaside, California. Chantry led the way for the Sharks as the individual medalist by two shots with a two-round score of 4-over-par 148.
▪ Nova Southeastern 10, Palm Beach Atlantic 3: The Sharks (26-6, 7-2 SSC) downed the host Sailfish (17-13) by scoring seven runs in the last three innings.