GAINESVILLE Gator Nation held its collective breath when All-American cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III exited Thursday’s open practice on a medical cart, but coach Will Muschamp eased fans’ fears by announcing the sophomore is “day to day” with a left knee bone bruise.
Muschamp said Hargreaves underwent an MRI as a precaution.
“I was told immediately it was a bone bruise,” Muschamp said. “The knee was stable and there was absolutely zero issues. Obviously in any situation when you deal with a joint, whether it’s an ankle, a shoulder, a knee, an elbow, you’re going to always get an MRI. But our trainer told me last night it was a bone bruise and he’ll be day to day.”
This and that
• Muschamp refuted speculation that Hargreaves was injured during a camp skirmish, saying the cornerback actually banged his knee earlier during a 1-on-1 drill. Hargreaves aggravated the injury trying to break up a fight between wide receivers and defensive backs after a heated tackling drill.
• After Thursday’s scuffle, Muschamp told his team he would remove any player from practice for fighting moving forward. “I don’t want them fighting on the field,” he said. “If you fight in the game you get kicked out, so …”
• Freshman defensive linemanThomas Holley
and freshman tight endC’yontai Lewis
(thigh bruise) will miss the weekend practices due to injuries. Holley is battling scar tissue buildup from offseason sports hernia surgery.
• Saturday’s practice is open exclusively to Gator Boosters and season-ticket holders.
• Redshirt junior quarterbackJeff Driskel
and sixth-year senior wideout
will be excused from Saturday’s practice to participate in graduation ceremonies.